• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheel-chair rental

darph nader

<font color=green>Went APE-CRAZY with suvies<br><f
Planning a trip WDW next spring. We 'might' need a wheel-chair and was wondering the rate from an outside source vs bringing our own and hopefully not losing it in transit. TIA.

We've rented in the park, outside vendor and brought our own...in pretty much that order. I'm a fan of taking our own. The park rental is, I think, $16'ish a day and my dd found the chair pretty uncomfy. It's also very wide and she's petite so just didn't really fit her well. Outside rental was less than $16 day. I cannot remember the rate but was going to be about $85 for 8 days, iirc. You had more options in terms of size which was nice. We ended up just buying our own and we took it for a few trips. I preferred that because we had it for the airport walking, knew how to fold it up easily, knew dd would be comfy in it, etc.

Price isn't the only consideration. Will you need it outside the park such as around the resort? Will you have someone who is able to lift and fold a wheelchair? Is the person especially large or especially small, as either might be more comfortable in a specific type of chair? If going during a busy period there is no guarantee that a wheelchair will be available. If you plan on park hopping you will need to turn in your chair and then use your receipt at the next park to get a second chair. The park chairs are not light and pretty bulky so you need to make sure you have someone in your party who can push someone for 4 to 5 miles minimum during the day in that heavy chair plus the weight of the person.

If you are flying, simply gate check your wheelchair. In other words, keep your chair with you, until you board. It will be tagged, either at check in or at the gate. The airline may even chose to ticket it at both. After you are seated, your chair will be taken to the baggage section of the plane and loaded. Very often you can see it being loaded. Since it is the last thing loaded, it will be the first item unloaded and will be at the door when you deplane. You likely will need it anyway for the large distances in the airport.

On days in WDW when you area feeling tired and need the chair (which very well could be every day; WDW is huge) keep the wheelchair with you until you are just ready to board the ride. There is always a place where it is stored with the other WCs. If it must be moved by cast members, it will be waiting for you at the exit. If your wheelchair blends in and looks like others, make sure to make the WC easily identifiable, usually with a blanket or such so it will not easily be mistaken and miss taken.

Our wheelchairs are our personal means for comfort a well as conveyance, being personally fitted for the user. A rental will do in a pinch but will never be matched for comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter