What's your minimum time in the Disney parks to justify going to Disney?

When we go to Disney, we simply enjoy the time we have in the parks. We never have, and never will judge the value of the trip by what we “get done” or how many hours we are there. Since I was a kid, we never approached WDW this way.

Our money’s worth has nothing to do with the number of rides we go on or how many hours we are in the park. It’s about time with family and being at a place we love. At different stages of life (been going there since I was a baby and now have my own almost 3 & 1.5yo), we’ve toured differently based on who we are with and what the age spread is. Sometimes we’ve done the parks rope drop to close. Sometimes we’ve done afternoons only. Sometimes morning only. Sometimes morning then a break. It all depends on how people feel. Sometimes we split up.

The point being, for us, being at Disney is not at all about accomplishing a list of things.

I understand that this is a one and done trip for them. They will not see everything. That is OK.

I have read many of your posts and honestly, I don’t think the others are the problem. It sounds like it will be very difficult for you to adjust YOUR touring style for them.

Many people have wonderful Disney trips without doing the “get the most stuff done” strategies.

I have a situation where my group will be late risers and early to bed most days. Ages go from 5 to 81. We don't want to split up the group for the park time and the two oldest probably have the most endurance. Basically, I only see the afternoons available to go to the parks together; so, we will have about 5 hours each day. We will probably do a quick service lunch in the park in the afternoon, too. We may 2 out of 6 nights go back at night for fireworks and a few rides. We will use FP for at least 3 rides.

I'm having doubts that we will accomplish enough to make the cost of the trip worth it. Justifying short days in the parks is dragging me down. Afternoons have to be the busiest time to be in the parks. This will be a one and only Disney trip for this group. Can't really afford multiple trips. We will be onsite. Two in the group will be using offsite rental scooters because of distance factors in the parks. We need to go with 2 rooms.

So, would you go to Disney with short days? Or pick a different, easier vacation?

Well, having read a lot of posts on your other thread and seeing all the 'bashing' you took, guess I'm really surprised that you opened a new thread. Personally, I'd scratch the trip, find another 'type' trip to take your g'kids, and greats on, and enjoy a more relaxing timeline for less $$$'s. Just my 2cents.

When we go to Disney and spend what a vacation costs there, we will spend most of our time in the parks - definitely not sleeping! To each their own though.

Pretty much ditto to @MickeyWaffles, we don't assign a dollar value to our park time. If we come home and had a great time then we consider it money well spent. But to answer your question more specifically, I would say, on average, we spend about 5 hours in a park per day. There will be some days we are there much longer and other days we don't go at all or just go one ride and head back out.

I'm not trying to aggravate or repeat from another post. I just thought it would be interesting to see how much time others spend in the Disney parks.

I'm just trying to get prepared for the family discussion.

I actually have learned from all the posts that I can slow it down and spend less time in the parks.
Yes, you can slow it down and actually have a more enjoyable time. You don't have to do everything. Just enjoy being with family in Disney, even if it requires you to spend less time in the parks. I find the slower pace much more satisfying than trying to do everything and fall down exhausted at the end of the day.

Honestly, I’d skip travelling with this group at all if you can’t readjust your attitude about your granddaughter.
To the OP, this ^^^^

As this is your second thread on the topic, it seems you are fighting with reality. The facts, as you have outlined them, are:

1) You perceive a WDW vacation to be low value if it doesn't include RD and maximizing the number of attractions/minimizing wait times
2) You have a family member who you believe desires not to participate in RD
3) You for whatever reason do not wish to split your party, with some going to the parks, and others remaining at the resort.

Look, you have some choices. But each choice is going to require you to shift a belief.

One choice is to choose to believe that a family vacation at WDW is high value regardless of the attractions/wait times. That would be measured in smiles of your grandchildren and great grandchildren. That would be measured in the memories that you all would be making. That would be measured in the magic of being together in one of the most enchanting locations known to humankind (from a kid's - and even some adults' - perspective).

Another choice is to examine your belief that your party must always remain together. Compromise often makes life sweeter. It might do so on a trip like this. I don't know - only you know why you insist that everyone must stay or go together.

Another choice is to plan a different type of family vacation. One that includes sleeping in and minimal wait times. This might look like a VBRO in a destination location of interest to the entire family. One that has activities that appeal to all ages.

I'm sure there are other choices too. My point is that as long as you remain attached to your beliefs, this trip (and potentially a non-WDW trip too) is destined for failure. And I'm pretty sure that's not on your wish list.

Yes I would still go, and I feel you may be overthinking things. The kids are going to love it no matter what you do or how many hours you spend in the parks. The look on their faces when they see the castle upon entering MK may be worth the price of admission alone, IMO. We have two young children, have been going every year since they were 1 and 3, and we have never been at rope drop and have never stayed for EMH. We typically get to the parks around 10AM, stay until 3 or 4, and then return at night after resting and dinner at the hotel. With proper FP planning in advance, we've never missed a ride we wanted to go on, and we have never waited more than 30/35 minutes for a ride. At night, we leave immediately after fireworks with the crowds but it's not the end of the world. You might be surprised how late the little ones can stay up in Disney. Make sure you plan for a stroller, even if they don't use one at home. You may also be surprised at how willing your family members might be to wake up a little earlier once they get there and see how excited the little ones are. I would not insist on everyone always going to the parks together. For instance, some nights some family members may feel like heading back to the park for fireworks, while others may choose to go to bed. I think it's very generous of you to offer to take the family on this magical vacation -- don't ruin it for yourself by setting expectations that are too rigid.

Another way to increase value is to lower the costs. I don't remember the details of your prospective trip. But staying offsite can lower costs. Eating meals offsite even at restaurants or takeout helps immensely with a food budget. Some of our offsite trips have been the most enjoyable precisely for this reason

I meant to add -- I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned the kids not wanting to wait in long lines -- keep in mind that a lot of the lines are interactive experiences. For the ones that aren't, I pack little Disney themed toys, etc. to entertain them while waiting -- sticker books, lollipops, flashlights, crayons for decorating their autograph books, etc. There are lots of great ideas on these boards.

You know those Mastercard commercials where they list out the things and their cost and then end it by saying something like, "The look on your great-grandchild's face when he/she sees Mickey Mouse for the first time? Priceless."

That's Disney to me. I dropped a lot of money on our recent trip. Park-Hoppers, MVMCP, JBJB dessert party, Memory Maker, Candlelight Processional dinner package, refillable mugs (not on dining plan), staying at the Grand Floridian (via rented DVC points...the only way that could happen!). If I took each thing individually and tried to figure out if I'd gotten a good value out of it, I guarantee you I would NOT. I could list out all of the things proving this, but why? Both of my parents are excited to go back to Disney in 2019. My mother had the most wonderful 75th birthday she could have, and cannot stop talking about it. She has already put all of the pictures in an album and shares them with everyone. My father, a musician, says Candlelight Processional is the best Christmas concert he's ever seen. He watched Joyful do an entire set in Epcot, clapping along with them and grinning from ear to ear. My mother adores Goofy, and the pictures of her meeting Santa Goofy at JBJB dessert party are the best!

I believe every day I have with my parents right now is a gift. If we can share the joy of just being at Disney World for a few days together, then that's something I'm happy to spend money on. The term "value" just doesn't enter into the picture for me.

I will say, that my father isn't always one who is up for the hustle and bustle of the parks all day. So he joins us when he wants and stays behind to relax at the resort when he wants. I get him the same tickets as us, park-hoppers for the amount of days we'll be in the parks, but if he doesn't "hop" on a day or two because he's a little worn out, that's fine.

Talk with your family. Tell them your concerns. That's really the only way you can move forward with this. Good luck!

ETA: The Grand Floridian on DVC points was definitely a good value. Just wanted to clarify that point. Fantastic place to stay, and totally affordable done that way. It was just as much a part of our trip as any of the parks.

We will not be together in the morning because of the sleeping and we won't be with each other most evenings because of the sleeping. Early to bed and late to rise is the motto, here. We have the afternoon to be all together; so, I don't want to split up the group at that time. We have 5 hours to be together. If we can do more with the great grandkids on our own then we will, but that will be a bonus.

I'm not a commando about the parks. I've been to Disney World with my mother in law and mother; both were in their eighties. My mother was wheelchair bound on our trips with her. I've been with others who have required oxygen all day. I know how to slow it down. But with slowing it down we spent more hours in the park than 5 hours. I went with my grandkids back in 2000; mom was part of that group. She was a young teenager at the time. We spent long hours per day in the parks on that trip and everyone loved the trip. I can adjust to various circumstances. But I have to say we have never been in the parks for less than 7 hours. Those hours have been split between morning and night at times. In my younger days we could do 12 hour days with park hopping.

And now, you know the rest of the story.

I am having a very hard time with 5 hour days. I'll probably do it and just be happy that we can enjoy each other at such a great place. I'll love every moment with the great grandkids. There may be a change of heart by mom with longer time in the parks once we do it. I can be hopeful, but I won't be crabby if we don't do more than 5 hours a day.

I'm going to let go of this discussion, now. I've gotten different ideas and approaches about a shorter day in the parks. I appreciate all the comments. I have taken this as far as I can at this point. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Everyone is different.
For me spending time with my niece and sister is what my trips with them are all about and makes it “worth” it. Now,our trips have changed over the 3 we have taken over the last few years. By our third trip we found that we like going later in the day most days and spending maybe 4-5 hours tops. We are not RD, go-go-go people anymore. We are foodies so our big draw is dining and we don’t have to be in the parks for that.

On my solo trip, I would say I spent a maximum of 4 hours each day in the parks and didn’t even go one day. I didn’t even stay the entire time for the Halloween Party. This trip was all about relaxation and doing things that my niece and sister may not want to do when they are with me.

I feel that each trip I have taken has been justifiable even if I were to have decided to stay at the resort every day.

It sounds like to me you need to speak to your family about the trip and go from there. I also suggest like other have—split up if needed. Believe me the trip can turn into misery quick if no one is flexible about plans.

Right now my sister and I are thinking of a big trip with more family when her granddaughter gets a little older. We have already discussed that it will be hard to have everyone on the same schedule, eat the same places, etc. there will be about 7 or 8 of us. We realize that everyone is going to need/want time to do things they want to do when they want to do. We are okay with it. I was worried she wouldn’t be but she is. Heck some of them may just want to lounge around the pool and not go to the parks as much...and that is okay. The joy will be having everyone together and seeing the joy in their eyes for the ones who haven’t been there before.

OP - One more thought - the VIP tour thread got me thinking about your situation - if your budget permits (perhaps fewer days/lower tier resort could offset?), this might be another solution for your family.

For me crowd levels are a factor. I have done as short as six hours on a moderate crowd day and felt like that was a good value (morning and afternoon on an MK party day when we had different evening plans -- loved fitting the park in). When crowds are heavy, to get what seems to me to be a decent value, that wouldn't cut it. Do note, I usually just do one Disney park per trip, so am forking out 100+ per person for a ticket If I had one of those long multi day tickets with a lower cost per day, I think a shorter day would be more acceptable.

FP+ helps, but if it's a heavy crowd time, just being together in the parks 5 hours a day in the busy afternoon with the heaviest crowds and paying expensive onsite hotel costs wouldn't feel like a great bang for the buck for me. Other things might trump that, though, might be being with family if that seems to be a rare opportunity to do that and if we'd be having fun together (some in my family are great to be in the parks no matter what the circumstances and hanging with them in the parks is a blast). Others who aren't as tolerant with crowds, no way. I definitely if I would do a trip like this would work FP+ strategically and think of going to the parks as more of enjoying time with family and the vibe of the place vs. doing lots of attractions. Sounds like the more fun family time, though, would be relaxing in the evening and if everyone is going their separate ways?? // With my own family and extended family, the just seeing them five hours in the afternoon each day doesn't sound particularly appealing. I'd almost rather split up for park time and get together in the evening to visit, play at the pool, watch a movie together.

I would pick a different vacation. In my family, though, the only park everyone likes including the seniors is SeaWorld. Also, keeping a group together with different likes or of a really big size in my opinion doesn't work too well. Fine to make a plan that people can follow and stay with the group if they want -- most will I have found. But I would always give the option to split off and do their own thing. Family togetherness at the park for a large group just isn't really IMHO a family bonding thing.

Last edited:
We will not be together in the morning because of the sleeping and we won't be with each other most evenings because of the sleeping. Early to bed and late to rise is the motto, here. We have the afternoon to be all together; so, I don't want to split up the group at that time. We have 5 hours to be together. If we can do more with the great grandkids on our own then we will, but that will be a bonus.

I'm not a commando about the parks. I've been to Disney World with my mother in law and mother; both were in their eighties. My mother was wheelchair bound on our trips with her. I've been with others who have required oxygen all day. I know how to slow it down. But with slowing it down we spent more hours in the park than 5 hours. I went with my grandkids back in 2000; mom was part of that group. She was a young teenager at the time. We spent long hours per day in the parks on that trip and everyone loved the trip. I can adjust to various circumstances. But I have to say we have never been in the parks for less than 7 hours. Those hours have been split between morning and night at times. In my younger days we could do 12 hour days with park hopping.

And now, you know the rest of the story.

I am having a very hard time with 5 hour days. I'll probably do it and just be happy that we can enjoy each other at such a great place. I'll love every moment with the great grandkids. There may be a change of heart by mom with longer time in the parks once we do it. I can be hopeful, but I won't be crabby if we don't do more than 5 hours a day.

I'm going to let go of this discussion, now. I've gotten different ideas and approaches about a shorter day in the parks. I appreciate all the comments. I have taken this as far as I can at this point. Thanks to all.
I think the discussion may proceed without you...LOL...Have a great trip!

I travel with family very frequently. Varying party sizes and ages. One thing I've learned: you make your vacation about you and let them make it about them. I spent many vacations going with the flow to make everyone happiest, but the only result was that I didn't end up enjoying my vacations so much. I finally realized that even if I go on vacation with someone I can't go on their vacation. We all drive to enjoy our vacation our way and that is where true value come in with travel

Example: I travel with immediate family to Eurpoe. Older party members like to see as much as possible and are go, go, go to all the big sights. One party member loves theater and could spend every evening seeing various performances. I love cooking and would be happiest taking authentic cooking classes in a private home (after shopping for ingredients in the market) and then relaxing in a vineyard.

This example is true of all places you visit, including WDW. I'm a rope dropper, but others I've traveled with are not. I don't like Epcot, but for others it was their favorite park. You know what I love? At least a. Full day in the water parks. Everyone is different and there is weong wrong way to vacation. The only wrong thing to do is to expect each member to enjoy the exact same vacation because they won't, I promise.

Switch your focus. You want to bring your granddaughter and kids. Why? Is it to see them light up with characters, or to ride the teacups with them, or to swim in the wave pool? Pick experiences (not time or days) that matter and make a plan for those. Then let the rest of the party have the freedom to do the same.

Don't hog the planning. Give them info and fun ideas and see what they would like to do. Ask how they imagine a great day at the park. Plan a few activities for each day that everyone agrees on and then let go. Then breathe and breathe some more. The kids are gonna melt down, soemoen might get sick, another night get tired from all the lines and stimulation. Leave space in your timeline and heart to manage that everyone is human and that the goal of the vacation should be fun, true moments not as many mins as possible to cram in seeing a fake mouse.

Put the vacation back in vacation. The value should come from the memories of fun you'll take away, not by the hours on a clock.

If the very idea of a day at the pool
Makes you nuts and feels like wasted money, then I beg you to pick another trip. This can't be about value for money when you are inviting a whole crew. Your grandkids will live a very full life, even if they don't see Disney. What they will recall if the interactions you have with them, whether it be Disney or a beach rental.

I'm good with 2 hours in the park. But I'm local and have an AP.

Would the rest of the party be able to meet you at a park so that you can be there earlier?

You can always take the down time and explore your resort amed amenities.

There is value in spending time with people that can't be measured in terms of dollars and cents. However, if their park hours are bugging you now, it will probably be amplified when you're actually there.

I say no less than 10 hours to make it feel worth it. We're always there at least 11 or 12 hours but then we're still currently using up our no expiration tickets usually doing day trips

talk with the kids' mom, but you indicate you will likely spend much of the time resenting her for the money you perceive she is costing you should she decide she'd rather spend her time sleeping in bed. If the trip is a gift for the kids you might just have to let that go, or get them another gift that isn't so dependent on her actions.

It would help if you felt you could take the kids to the park and let her sleep when she wants, but that wasn't given as an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter