What's your best Canadian WDW traveler tip?

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Just a thought...to start a new thread...all you DISVeterans out there...what's your best WDW tip for a CANADIAN visitor...don't forget the sunscreen...don't forget to take the cat to the kennel (love you girls:D )...airport suggestions...remember to take___...

Maybe you'll have one tip, maybe five...rate 'em if you can!

hmmm, maybe this should be a poll;)
looking forward to your replies...
Mary Beth

We found that taking down breakfast and cooler supplies really helped us save money and time. We take a cooler, baggies (to fill with ice to keep milk and beverages cold), spoons, plastic bowls, sugar packets and cereals down with us and buy milk from a grocery store or the hotel lobby store. Saves us about $20 USD each day for breakfast, and at least 30 minutes time savings at the top of our day...we get to the parks faster!
Another "tip" we have is to check out renting DVC time share points (there is another forum on this board for this topic). We end up staying at the Boardwalk Villas (with kithenette) for about $90-100 USD/night which is extraordinary for this hotel (typical rate would be around $300 USD/night). Jo

Tip #1- When travelling through Pearson ALWAYS get at cart as soon as possible and keep it as far as they'll let you take it. Sometimes you THINK your close to the boarding lounge, only to find you've got to walk another 500miles with the heavest luggage ever. Better yet, EVERYTHING must have GOOD wheels

Tip # 2- Always have in your carry- on an entire change of clothes, lightweight & compact but take everything from head to toes. If you spill something or if your lugguge lost & they sent it to the hotel later or you can't check in you'll have stuff to change into. Don't forget your bathing suit in there too.

Tip#3-Put all Canadian coins & cash in a different purse/wallet than your US coins & cash before you leave, don't try to sort it as you go....it holds up the rest of us in line at cash registers behind you :p

Tip # 4- Always carry bandaids or blister pads.

My best tip is to make the most of your vacation. If you want breakfast at Cindy's then BOOK IT!

Don't compromise your dream vacation. S

Buy your rental car insurance here...cost us 80.00 Canadian-you can have more than one name listed !! It will save you bundles over buying it in USD from the rental car company!!
Grover in Winnipeg
:)

Already I've learned so much...thanks all...keep the tips coming!:D

Drive to Disney atleast one time with your kids you will be suprised how much they will actually enjoy it. Especially if you go during the winter they can see everything change on the way down like everything getting green again like it was the summer.
Tip#2 Souveniers are best bought out at BELZ outlet mall they have 2 Disney stores there and it is all stuff that is end of season etc and can be had for 1/4 the resort price. The stuff is all from WDW to like shirts and picture frames etc

Have to agree with everyone here. There is something about the drive and seeing the changes as you drive south that is priceless. I also agree with taking breakfast items and snack foods. We also take water and pop as well. We have a fridge that plugs into the car so we actually take lunch items as well.

I also agree to get your souvenirs at the Belz Outlet. We usually go twice, once at the beginning and then once just before we leave.

My one suggestion would be to have a packing list. I start one a couple of weeks before I leave and then add to it and check things off when they are packed. I'm much less likely to forget something when I'm last minute packing if I've made a list a month before when I'm not rushing.

If you have time, drive I-75 and do some of the sidetrips listed in Dave Hunter'sAlong I-75. They don't have to cost-Cumberland Falls, Berea crafts, Mainstrasse in Covington, KFC and the museum at the first restaurant. Or they can-Mayfair Dairy, where an ice cream cone is 75cents, the Lost Sea (still a favourite with me) and oodles of other things.

#1--if flying, check your nearest US city for rates. Last year we saved A LOT of money. We drove to Buffalo from Toronto, and got Friends Fly Free promotion on Southwest...paying only $17.00 Canadian for a plane ticket.

#2--proudly wear your Canadian flag some where. We are always wearing ROOTS clothing. Make sure you stop in and say hello to our friends at the Canadian Pavillion in Epcot.

#3--check into renting a vacation home. We got a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with our own private pool for a fraction of the price we would have paid for a hotel for 2 weeks.

#4--if staying in a hotel where they offer you the option of renting a mini fridge...do it. You will save so much on drinks, and breakfast. We would buy lunch meat, and bagels, and have that for breakfast, or a snack. We also stocked the fridge with drinks. We would also freeze a bottle of water for each day, and carry it with us.

#5--have fun looking for Hidden Mickeys. The boys we travelled with (6,8,9) had a great time looking as well. It also passed the time while waiting in lines.

#6--if you are too afraid to ride anything, take the chance...just remember Mickey would never hurt you!

#7--have fun, and remember your kids are there to have fun too, and change (how ever small) does effect children. It could also be sensory overload when kids act up! I know I get that! ;)

Agree on Dave Hunter's book "Along I-75" it is a must for all of us frequent I-75ers!
It's so informative, great for planning that next stop, and a good time passer enroute.

Stock up on the little vinegar packs from McDs. for your fries!

Originally posted by grover
Buy your rental car insurance here...cost us 80.00 Canadian-you can have more than one name listed !! It will save you bundles over buying it in USD from the rental car company!!
Grover in Winnipeg

You can do that Grover? I had no idea ... :) Do you purchase it from your own insurance company?

My tips are to make a grocery stop and buy bottled water. It's $2.50 (US) in the park. I also like to carry a mini handheld fan (you can buy them at most dollar stores), it's great for those times when it's really hot and you're waiting in line :) (Don't forget to bring some replacement batteries!) You can also save some money by buying plastic rain ponchos in Canada ... The Mickey ponchos cost $6 (US) ... you can get some (although they are a little less resilient) for under $2 at Wal-Mart.

If you have an AP or DC card, I usually try to buy most of my souveniers at the World of Disney... that way I can get 10% off! For some of the sit down restaurants, you can sometimes make a later lunch PS which can double as an early dinner and you'll end up saving some money :)

One other tip ... try to develop a couple rolls of film while you're at Disney. There is the possibility that you're camera might not be working properly. This happened to us on our last trip and one roll of our film was spoiled... luckily we were able to go and take more pictures since we realized ahead of time :)

That's all I can think of for now ... *lol*

My tip will work whn travelling anywhere not just Disney. When you leave tour room in the morning take an empty stoarge bag with you and put it in your fanny bag, knapsack or pocket. On your return to your resort you can fill the storage bag with ice from the machine without going to your room and getting the ice bucket (saves a extra trip)

Bunnyfoo--yes we just buy it from any insurance outlet that sells autopac insurance. Very quick and easy-takes 2 mins,they just need drivers licence info-my fiance didn't even need to be there-I just took his info along. I have done this on our past two trips--well worth the savings as I would be worried not having any rental car insurance.
Grover in Winnipeg

Awesome tips everyone! Think I'll email them to Mary Waring;) I think mousesavers.com is one of the best sites going for tips...but the Cdn DisBoards...love'em:Pinkbounc

We loved Feb: early weeks no lines, lots of good weather compared to Manitoba.
Also, we had good deals on passes for Cdns.

Glad to be back on the boards!

A couple of tips we found are
1) We would pack a lunch with sandwiches, pizza or whatever we felt like along with capri juice packs to drink and would take a nice break in the park to picnic. You can store a good size cooler bag in the lockers and the staff dont mind as long as you dont have glass containers.
2) There is a great flea market not far from the giant Orange dome along the Irlo Bronson higway(192) that sell much of the same stuff that is sold at disney. We had bought our girls a giant puppet of mickey and pooh which were selling at AK for about $60 each we bought 2 for $30.
3)If you are going off season and want to save a lot of money by not staying on site you can find great deals on hotels using the www.floridakiss.com web site, they will even send you a free booklet of hotels with prices. We have been able to find good hotels/motels with pools fridge and microwave for around 20 -25 per night. They may have higher weekend rates but you can negotiate with the place to give you the same rate if you are staying for 7 days or more.
The best tip is to enjoy and feel like a kid again I know we do...

did you have the "buy one, get the second 50%" passes? Has anyone heard anything about them? I think I read somewhere that they usually come out around the end of October...?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter