• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's up with rolls of coins?

robinb

DIS veteran
I stopped at my credit union today to get $40 worth of small bills so I can tip at a concert tonight. When I handed in my withdrawal slip the clerk asked if I wanted rolls quarters. Huh? It turns out that the lady next to me was getting rolls of coins as was the woman next to her. What's up with that? Is it a Christmas tradition that I have somehow missed in the 25 years since I even casually celebrated Christmas?

As for the cash for tips ... I go to an annual holiday jazz concert by my former neighbor and his octet. They have two tip jars titled "Ho Ho Ho" and "No No No" and they count the tips periodically through the night to decide to play a Christmas song or a non-Christmas song depending on which jar has more money. All tips go to a foundation for young musicians. I could throw a $20 in all at once, but it's more fun to throw a couple dollars in when it goes by.

News to me! Maybe they are stocking stuffers? The perfect gift for the laundromat user???

I stopped at my credit union today to get $40 worth of small bills so I can tip at a concert tonight. When I handed in my withdrawal slip the clerk asked if I wanted rolls quarters. Huh? It turns out that the lady next to me was getting rolls of coins as was the woman next to her. What's up with that? Is it a Christmas tradition that I have somehow missed in the 25 years since I even casually celebrated Christmas?

As for the cash for tips ... I go to an annual holiday jazz concert by my former neighbor and his octet. They have two tip jars titled "Ho Ho Ho" and "No No No" and they count the tips periodically through the night to decide to play a Christmas song or a non-Christmas song depending on which jar has more money. All tips go to a foundation for young musicians. I could throw a $20 in all at once, but it's more fun to throw a couple dollars in when it goes by.
According to Google rolled coins are traditional stocking stuffers.

My kids are in their 20's and live on their own without their own washer and dryer. For the last couple of years, I have given them rolls of quarters in their stockings. Now they both live with their girlfriends, and since I do stockings for them as well, they get rolls of quarter too! So, 8 rolls of quarters!

This year on Christmas Eve we are going to play "Left, Right, Center" and I got 6 rolls of quarters for that.

So, lots of quarters for us!!

I have absolutely no idea what I would do with rolled quarters 😂…… someone, please give me some ideas

Do laundry mats still take quarters? The ones around here have all gone digital and are controlled by an app.
I had to wash my car cover so I went to a laundry mats with a commercial washer. Their machines take quarters or credit or debit cards. No app though. Remember, there are a LOT of people with no bank accounts, debit cards or credit cards......"unbanked" as the politically correct would phrase it. And I suspect a larger percentage of people who use laundry mats fall into that classification.
And a friend is business manager for a man who owns 400 apartments. The laundry mats in his complexes are quarters only. He says the cost of using credit card capably equipment is too much.

He says the cost of using credit card capably equipment is too much.
A guy at work owns a small apartment building. He said the payback was less than a month.

He no longer had to deal with the damage from theft and pay for the near daily repairs to the coin boxes on the appliances. He no longer had to collect the coins daily. He no longer had to pay the bank coin handling fees. He no longer had to stock the change machines. He no longer had to deal with the damage from theft and pay the weekly repairs to the change machines.

He said the conversion and ongoing cost was well worth the fee paid.

My kids are in their 20's and live on their own without their own washer and dryer. For the last couple of years, I have given them rolls of quarters in their stockings. Now they both live with their girlfriends, and since I do stockings for them as well, they get rolls of quarter too! So, 8 rolls of quarters!

This year on Christmas Eve we are going to play "Left, Right, Center" and I got 6 rolls of quarters for that.

So, lots of quarters for us!!
This is why I get them too!

I also keep quarters in my glove boxes for emergency money and parking meters, they are still around here and there.

We use quarters for Left, Right, Center and ALDI's shopping carts.

My mom used to put them in care packages back when I was in college, but the nearest laundromat I know of now uses plastic cards you load/reload (with your credit card or by inserting bills like a vending machine.)

Kinda related...we do Christmas at my parents at Thanksgiving. Told my mom to give DD her cash in all 5s so I'd have Disney tip money. Yep, DD gave me her cash and I bought everything she wanted in Japan on credit. 🤣

Eta: not credit, debit I should say lol

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter