What's there to do in Grand Cayman?

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
Disney, without explanation, just cancelled everyone from the Deluxe Stingray City Port Excursion on Grand Cayman :( Our Cruise is mid October. What would be your plan B? Anywhere to walk? Thank you!

There are so many options to book the stingray excursion on your own if that's something you still really want to do (and cheaper than what Disney offers it for). But depending on what interests you, there is submarine tour, island tour, dolphin swim, turtle farm, scuba diving, the beaches are beautiful and easy to access. And all of it is easy to do on your own.

It depends a lot on who you are traveling with. We ended up doing the amphibious tour that ended by dropping us off at a resort. We spent the rest of the day there, on the beach with a cabana, and it was great.

We found a Margarittaville just outside the main port :drinking:
We hung out there on our last trip and had a good time talking to people from the cruise. We ended up talking to them several times on the ship later. It was nice to use their free wifi for a bit to track Hurricane Irma.

When we went a couple years ago we had a 5 year old and 16 year old. We did the turtle farm excursion (with a HELL stop) and honestly it was boring LOL. It wasnt our cup of tea. But the water is beautiful there. Not sure why we didnt do some beach one as that's more our caliber.

You can take a cab (4$/pp each way) and go to Royal Palms (more or less 5 minutes from the port)... It's only 2$/pp to get in and you can rent chairs and umbrellas if you want. They have cabanas too. The beach is amazing, the food is good, clean place, nice staff. Loved it.

22539662_10156008655584252_3712475314816423599_n (1).jpg 22555167_10156008654864252_6687247451997387718_n.jpg 22519073_10156008655404252_3674904391652032963_n (1).jpg

We used Moby Dicks for a stingray city/snorkeling tour when we went a few years ago. We have them booked again for January 2019. There are few other reputable touring companies, you can check out reviews online, if Moby Dicks is full. They have a facebook page if you want to check them out also.

The Sea Trek excursion is a lot of fun! Or just take a cab to one of the hotels and enjoy a beach day. You can book Stingray City on your own. Enjoy your cruise!

Highly highly recommend Captain Marvin’s stingray city tours. They offer several tours. We have used them several times, they have great reviews on TripAdvisor, boats in good working order, and they work with cruise tourists every day and are very aware of when ships dock and when you need to be back onboard. If your ship is delayed or can’t make port (happens in GC from time to time) they know to adjust your arrival time or in the event you don’t make port your excursion is cancelled with no charge.

We’ve used Captain Marvin’s several times for different excursions. They take good care of you and we’ve enjoyed them all, including Sting Rays with them. They got us there before the rest of the cruise ships (including Disney’s group) so it wS cheaper and well worth it!

I’ve chartered with Natuve Way to go to Stingray City before. This trip with just 2 of us we have a jet ski tour to Stingray City booked with, I think Fat Fish. Crossing our fingers we will still be on a Western. We sail Saturday and Isaac is staying miiiiighty low. Plus, not many are talking about it, but there’s another flare up right NOW in the Caribbean that they’re giving a 30% chance of development.

You can take a cab (4$/pp each way) and go to Royal Palms (more or less 5 minutes from the port)... It's only 2$/pp to get in and you can rent chairs and umbrellas if you want. They have cabanas too. The beach is amazing, the food is good, clean place, nice staff. Loved it.
I think this is the way I would go. Nothing wrong with excursions, but the beaches in Grand Cayman are really nice.

It was really easy to get around Grand Cayman on your own. You can grab a taxi at the port and ask for a specific beach or ask the driver to take you to a public beach. We took a cab to Royal Palms and our driver really wanted to take us to a free beach instead.

If you still want to go to Stingray City, we went last year with Stingray Sailing and had a very positive experience.

Our first time we snorkeled in the morning and did some shopping in the afternoon (I think we went back to the ship for lunch before heading back out). The second time we did a tour of the turtle farm. The third time we spent it on the ship; never bothered to disembark. But we're not beach people at all so beaches don't interest us. We did the stingray excursion on Castaway Cay a few years ago so haven't bothered to do it on other islands.

Our first time we snorkeled in the morning and did some shopping in the afternoon (I think we went back to the ship for lunch before heading back out). The second time we did a tour of the turtle farm. The third time we spent it on the ship; never bothered to disembark. But we're not beach people at all so beaches don't interest us. We did the stingray excursion on Castaway Cay a few years ago so haven't bothered to do it on other islands.

Was the turtle farm worth seeing? And, can you walk to good shops? Anywhere different to eat? Thank you!

Was the turtle farm worth seeing? And, can you walk to good shops? Anywhere different to eat? Thank you!
Just did the turtle farm in May. My 12 y.o. daughter really enjoyed it. Great educational experience and fun too. The turtles are beautiful and you get the chance to hold/get in the water with them. Took the city bus (vans) out there. Cheap and you get a mini tour of the island and how they live. Now that was very educational for my daughter!! This is the safest I have ever felt in a Caribbean island. The people are very welcoming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter