What's the truth about National's gas prices?

Cameo

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere that if you have National fill your tank when you return, the cost of gas is extremely high. Didn't they used to refill for local pump prices if you were an EC member? Did that perk go away? Anybody know the scoop?

Someone posted about a month ago that this perk has ended. It's no longer listed on the National website. I always fill up at the MK or Boardwalk Exxon. It will still be on full when you get to the airport.

We rented from National in March in Tampa. If you choose for them to refill, you must tell them when you are taking the car out. The cost was about $1.05 a gallon, which was equal to what was in the area at that time. If you did not choose this option, you had to bring it back with a full tank or pay their re-fueling charge which was same ridiculous #. Over $3.00 a gallon.

We rented from National in March in Tampa. If you choose for them to refill, you must tell them when you are taking the car out. The cost was about $1.05
So that hasn't changed? Someone posted that that had changed and was no longer offered..but it was before March...and you went in March.

The perk that ended recently was a deal where EC members did not have to return their cars with a full tank; they would fill the car for you at a 'prevailing local rate'. The fuel option that is still being offered if you ask for it at the booth before leaving the lot is a pre-paid full tank of gas at a discount rate; usually 5-10 cents lower than local rates. In order to make it worthwhile economically it's necessary to return the car with less than a 1/4 of a tank. I always go for it since I drive around a lot and usually use at least a tankful; I also find it very convenient not having to worry about stopping and getting gas on departure day even if I end up returning the car with 'too much' gas and end up paying a couple of dollars extra.

At the end of March, National charged $3.99/gallon. We know because we were running late due to a traffic back-up and didn't have time to fill up. We had to pay for 4 gallons. Ouch!

I got burned on the $3.99/gal refill when we returned our rental on 3/23. I had figured on the prevailing rate refill since we had used it last July and again in January, and I had not realized that this EC member perk had been discontinued. Fortunately it only took 2 gals since I had filled the tank mid-week after we had made an excursion. Next time, I will refill prior to leaving WDW, topping up the tank so that it still reads full when I drop off the car :).

Ralph

I second the recommendation to fill up before you leave WDW. Once you get on the highway to the airport there are no gas stations between the Disney area and the National rental drop off. Your tank will show full.

I got up too early in the morning, totally forgot to fill the tank & ended up paying $3.99/gallon for 6 gallons (based on the check in guy's expert opinion :) ) It would have been a little cheaper to pay for a full tank at $1.05/gallon, but I should really have remembered to fill up for $1.23 at the Disney exxon!

A bit off topic, but when we rented with Dollar last summer we were told if we refilled the tank ourselves we had to show a receipt that it was filled within 10 miles of the airport. We much preferred our prior experiences with National.

If you're returning to MCO via the Greeneway, there's a convenient filling station at Orange Blossom Trail, aka 17/92. It's fairly inexpensive, *and* it's less than 10 miles from the airport. (Though I suspect that requirement for a receipt would be tough to enforce.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter