What's the thinking on ordering extra dishes to try at the Main Dining room restaurants?

On our first cruise I couldn’t decide on something and quickly learned they will just bring me both. Not an issue at all. Sometimes I have to be clear if I really don’t want both. I’ve also learned the hard way if I want something the servers don’t recommend and I get it and something they do almost without fail they were right on which would be better.

Also I love my kids can feel free to try new foods without the risk they won’t like it and will be hungry or I’d have to pay for something else like on land. More often than not my kids actually like what they try and have a new fancy favorite. My seven year old has progressed across our cruises from mac and cheese every night and now likes escargot, lobster, sushi etc.

We had a really fun interaction with our server last week. A member of a different couple ordered dessert and the server said it wasn't very good and she should get the creme brulee. She said she still wanted the first thing and he said "I'll bring the creme brulee on the side." Then her husband asked if he should get the creme brulee on the side too, even though he was getting something different. Server said "Everyone gets creme brulee on the side." When he got to me, I said I'll have x and you can skip the creme brulee (which I don't like.) He said "No, everyone is getting creme brulee." So, we got 4 different desserts and 4 creme brulees.

Best part was that the woman who got the original dessert that started the whole thing said the first dessert wasn't good at all and she was glad she had the creme brulee.
Quite often the servers know what dishes are best each night.

We also have been recently ordering more dishes to try all the different items. Servers have always been happy to accommodate.

Also I love my kids can feel free to try new foods without the risk they won’t like it and will be hungry or I’d have to pay for something else like on land. More often than not my kids actually like what they try and have a new fancy favorite. My seven year old has progressed across our cruises from mac and cheese every night and now likes escargot, lobster, sushi etc.
Yes! My son was 2.5 on our cruise in August. Our first night was in Enchanted Garden so I ordered him the fancy cucumber appetizer. The server did a double take and was like, really? For him? I said yes! He loves cucumbers! So our server brought the appetizer (which my son ate) as well as a bowl of plain sliced cucumbers. Every night he had either pickles or cucumbers (or both!) at his plate waiting for him. :)

Yes! My son was 2.5 on our cruise in August. Our first night was in Enchanted Garden so I ordered him the fancy cucumber appetizer. The server did a double take and was like, really? For him? I said yes! He loves cucumbers! So our server brought the appetizer (which my son ate) as well as a bowl of plain sliced cucumbers. Every night he had either pickles or cucumbers (or both!) at his plate waiting for him. :)
My daughter's go-to appetizer on the ships is a bowl full of cucumber slices and a side of ranch.

Many people order two mains, and the servers will have no problem doing it. You can even order a double portion of a dish and they will put them on the same plate together.

This is one of the reasons we like back to back........especially when we went on the Wish. During our first cruise we can try the menu items that looks good to us. If we see something else that looks good...........we just try it on the second cruise. Our family doesnt need big portions, so two of everything would be too much food for us.

Ok this is a great question and my experiences:

1) Our first cruise on the Dream (2013) we had a foodie blogger couple next to us. They ordered everything. Took pictures and never ate it. Yes, everything, just for pics. We were floored.
2) We once had a couple next to us where the gentleman ordered the lobster, just lobster, no sides and said keep it coming. We left after he ate 7 lobsters and he was still eating.
3) One cruise I made the mistake mentioning I like escargot. Every night the server brought out escargot. I had to stop him after 4 dinners and say this is now impacting your tip so please stop bringing out escargot, I'm never saying that again. He thought it was cute.
4) One cruise our server asked would we like to try spicy Indian food. And a completely separate off menu family style dish appeared. It was good but spicy and large!
5) We now commonly ask for multiples of what we like, appetizers, or desserts, because when we get off the ship we're back to reality of McDonald's and pizza.

Just know that some other cruise lines now charge for a 2nd meal! So this is now a perk!

I always used cruising as a test bed for my kids to try different things. I said try it and if you don't like it we'll get chicken nuggets later. And now my boys are 17 & 20 and they do eat different things!

my son ordered some lobster bisque
Oh, the lobster bisque.

In 2019, on the Fantasy, the server explicitly told me not to order it. I did anyway, and it was nasty.

In 2021, on the Wonder, I told my server of the previous experience. She said it was slightly improved and she brought me the bisque and the other soup (I think it was broccoli/cheese). Bisque was still meh, but not gross. Broccoli/cheese wasn't bad.

Never again!

Thank you everyone for your replies!!! No intention at all of ordering everything off the menu but you've relieved my concerns about possibly ordering a couple extra things for the table if we feel the spirit move us! Can't wait!

We love desserts. So we ask the first night for one of each. Typically the 2nd night they will ask “one of each”, by the third they just bring them. Sometimes they will bring 2 of the best ones. I’ve been surprised sometimes times which ones I like most.

Multiple entrees are not a problem on Disney, yet, anyway. Carnival has started charging extra in the MDR if you order 3 or more entrees. $5 fee.
And Carnival was also going to change their unlimited drink plan to define "unlimited" at 15 drinks a day. :oops:

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-makes-major-dining-changes-passengers-may-not-like

I believe NCL already limits to 15.

Always experienced the staff to be happy to accommodate. But I've also seen signs at the buffet encouraging guests to only take as much as they can eat and if it is not enough to come back for more to reduce waste.

I am going on a cruise in 2 days, already looked through the menus each night. Some nights the meal is going to be 3 appetizers, other nights it is going to be nothing but 2 mains.

And I find it so funny that across multiple lines there is a hidden food menu. I went to the main dining room once, did not like a thing on the menu and was just going to have wine and desert before I hit the buffet for pizza. Well out comes some stew with jollof rice. Still one of the best cruise meals ever.

Ordering multiples is not a problem at all for either app, main course or dessert

MJ

I mean you've technically paid for it anyway. You can have a little bit of both if you can't decide. If you don't like it, you can share it or tell the server you didn't care for it. At first it seems weird, but you are on vacation!

Ordering multiples is not a problem at all for either app, main course or dessert

MJ
On my last cruise (non Disney), I asked my server which of the two dishes he recommended (I want to say it was pasta vs fish). He said, "both!" so that's exactly what I had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter