What's the thinking on ordering extra dishes to try at the Main Dining room restaurants?

Sillysox

Mouseketeer
I recall when we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise (many moons ago) our servers were very encouraging for us to try multiple things on the menu in particular if we had trouble deciding (I'm TERRIBLE for deciding!) Typically we didn't that much because we were so disinclined to waste food--even though our server kept saying "Don't worry! we just feed the fishies with anything you can't eat!"

Lately I've been looking through some of the menus (historical menus) on the Disney cruise and I can see my family and I are likely going to have issues deciding again. How is it received to order one or two extra items off of the menu for our group to all try? Now our oldest two children are adults (and my son could eat a horse!) I could definitely see this being something we might be interested in doing if it isn't frowned upon. (Not to extreme excess, and not with a view to be wasteful!)

I do my own "surf and turf" in Enchanted Garden by ordering the prime rib and a side of just the scallops from that dish and it's never been a problem.

IDK about ordering multiple complete plates though.

I recall when we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise (many moons ago) our servers were very encouraging for us to try multiple things on the menu in particular if we had trouble deciding (I'm TERRIBLE for deciding!) Typically we didn't that much because we were so disinclined to waste food--even though our server kept saying "Don't worry! we just feed the fishies with anything you can't eat!"

Lately I've been looking through some of the menus (historical menus) on the Disney cruise and I can see my family and I are likely going to have issues deciding again. How is it received to order one or two extra items off of the menu for our group to all try? Now our oldest two children are adults (and my son could eat a horse!) I could definitely see this being something we might be interested in doing if it isn't frowned upon. (Not to extreme excess, and not with a view to be wasteful!)
We've often had a serving of something we didn't order to share brought by the server. We didn't ask for it, but they brought it anyway. I'm thinking they may have been an over-plated item that may as well be served. I doubt, if you asked, they would have an issue bringing something that's already on the men as an extra plate to be shared with others.

I have ordered two main courses before, especially if I don't order an appetizer or a salad or soup. I'm a pescatarian and often can't decide between the fish dish and the vegetarian dish so I have often ordered both. Often the portions are smaller so while I may not each ALL of each dish, I will usually finish one or each most of each.

My husband orders 2 as well. Usually tells them to leave off the side of the second on. Or like someone said we love scallops so we will order them by themselves with something else.

I also ask for the house salad if there isn‘t a salad I like on the menu.

My thinking is, its vacation, go for it! :) We've never felt like we were annoying our servers or causing an issue when doing so. I've gotten entrees as an app, added a side of pasta to an app for an entree, gotten apps from other restaurants...yeah I'm a pain. ;) But really, our servers have always been very accommodating.

I've seen replies on this board concerning this very thing in the past. Many people's opinion is to just go for it! I know that all of our servers we have had have been more than happy to get seconds or multiple entrees just to make everyone happy. I have to be careful, though, because on our last cruise I was miserable in the evenings from eating too much. And I didn't have any extra servings at dinner! We even had first seating. I can't even think of eating anything at the buffet on pirate night!

I almost always have two desserts.
Various members of my parties as well. One night on the Wonder, DH and I ordered every dessert and ate them all between the two of us. :love:

More recently, the other family we were seated with on the Wish last month seemed to love dessert as much as we did. The dad ordered 2 key lime pies at the WoM and then ordered it again when we were in Arendelle. Our server was nice enough to get it for him a second time.

Various members of my parties as well. One night on the Wonder, DH and I ordered every dessert and ate them all between the two of us. :love:

More recently, the other family we were seated with on the Wish last month seemed to love dessert as much as we did. The dad ordered 2 key lime pies at the WoM and then ordered it again when we were in Arendelle. Our server was nice enough to get it for him a second time.
Actually my favorite desserts (which, of course, they don't have any more) were the Sweet Temptations sampler plates. You'd get smaller servings of 3 of the desserts that were on that night's menu.

On our last cruise the only thing we ate off the menu was desert. We like Indian food and we were served whatever they made for that evening. It was excellent.
On the second to last night our head server brought out the Chef. He was amazed that we ate Indian food every night. He told us he would make us something special on our last night and it was fabulous.
So don't be afraid to ask if you want to try something different.

My thinking is: it's included in the fare, so get what interests you.
I really wanted the prime rib, but I also wanted the swedish meatballs to see if they're better than mom's.
Other times I'll get a main entree and something off the lighter fare or vegetarian menu. the potato gnocchi was quite nice. Sometimes two appetizers seem appealing. Or two desserts.

MDR isn't the only place where there's food waste. Think of the kids who insist on something at the buffet or at quick service and only eat a few bites. It all gets properly disposed of and after treatment becomes food for the fishes.

MDR isn't the only place where there's food waste. Think of the kids who insist on something at the buffet or at quick service and only eat a few bites. It all gets properly disposed of and after treatment becomes food for the fishes.
This is what was left on the table (not ours) in Cabanas when everyone was "done"
leftover food wonder 2015  21077 P1080395 1500.jpg

We cruised last week on the fantasy. It was a full ship. Our servers had 18 guests to serve each night. One party of 4 had multiple of everything. Every single night. Our servers had barely enough time to serve the 14 other people because that one table monopolized their time. One person ordered 3 of everything. I felt so bad for the servers. They wanted to spend time with everyone, but that one table was always needing something.

Your servers will not even blink. I have had bigger issue refusing food than asking for extra of something. One trip I had too much sun (waaaaay too much sun) and was not feeling well. I barely made it to dinner and didn't want anything really. I picked at my appetizer and entree and declined dessert and they were very fretful. They insisted on bringing out some vanilla ice cream at least as they did not want me to go to bed hungry. As if! ;)

We had a really fun interaction with our server last week. A member of a different couple ordered dessert and the server said it wasn't very good and she should get the creme brulee. She said she still wanted the first thing and he said "I'll bring the creme brulee on the side." Then her husband asked if he should get the creme brulee on the side too, even though he was getting something different. Server said "Everyone gets creme brulee on the side." When he got to me, I said I'll have x and you can skip the creme brulee (which I don't like.) He said "No, everyone is getting creme brulee." So, we got 4 different desserts and 4 creme brulees.

Best part was that the woman who got the original dessert that started the whole thing said the first dessert wasn't good at all and she was glad she had the creme brulee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter