What's the point of a Birthday Button?

My daughter has received special desserts at restaurants and even free ice cream from a vendor in one of the parks.

I got a free cupcake and a placemat signed by the characters at the 1900 Park Fare character breakfast. I also got a room upgrade to club level.

.. oh btw, strangers saying happy bday are probably cast members on their day off.

Probably not. There are friendly and warm people that visit WDW who would do that without a 2nd thought. I see it all of the time when we travel. There are areas of the country where people are all about themselves, but southerners in general are pretty warm and certain areas on the east coast are as well. Our entire party of 11 that travels together would do that without hesitating. Most of the people I know would do that.

There is something about Disney pixie dust that is infectious. People like to "spread the magic" and share that special feeling that guest get when they are in the parks.

Last edited:
I went to Epcot on my birthday last year- Alice wished me a happy birthday, and Tigger and Pooh did a little dance. And a bunch of CMs were saying 'Happy Birthday' and so on. So, it may make a small difference with character encounters.

I went to Epcot on my birthday last year- Alice wished me a happy birthday, and Tigger and Pooh did a little dance. And a bunch of CMs were saying 'Happy Birthday' and so on. So, it may make a small difference with character encounters.
Thought I would add, for the sake of adding...
The coolest thing that happened that day was a rainbow coming literally almost out of nowhere, because it had rained while I was riding the Gran fiesta tour starring the three howeveryouspellits. That was cool.

we got several free iced lemonades when we were in Studios - we got an additional pack of SOTMK cards one day - we were given an extra fp+ for dinosaur - lots of birthday wishes, cupcakes at all of our table service meals along with a signed card

Buttons are fun! We were in Magic Kingdom on my mom's birthday. She we got her a button and some birthday Mickey ears. We lost count of how many people wished her a happy birthday. She definitely got a kick out of it!

if you make note of it on your room reservation you'll likely receive a button, card, and possibly a phone message wishing you a happy birthday.
also CM's will say happy birthday to you.
when you meet characters they will often take notice and its an easy way for them to strike up a conversation with you.
at TS restaurants you may find that they bring you a cupcake with a candle in it and sing happy birthday.

In July,you may have dozens of the 15s sing Happy Birthday to you!:)

They always sing to me(I think they like "showing off" their English).:)

It is cute-they really get into it!:)

Our kids have gotten a few free desserts when dining at TS restaurants. The smiles on their face when a cast member says happy birthday to them is worth it!

I was super lucky. We had a reservation at California Grill. We were given a window seat for Wishes, they put Mickey Head confetti on the table and I received a beautiful dessert... I think it was just what I ordered from our DxDDP, but it will all prettied up with a happy birthday message.

CM and guest wish you happy birthday. Don't expect anything extra like free things etc. However you never know when some pixie dust will be given.

DD4 got cards from every character meal, and a cupcake at every TS meal, free muffin at the kiosk in MK, a Beauty & Beast BOG mug and lots of Mickey straws, she was picked to help dance st the end of FoTLK, and the rebel spy in Star Tours (not sure if birthday button had anything to do with the last two), she got a surprise meeting with Mary Poppins when a CM asked if she would like to meet her--it wasn't on the show time list in Epcot, but a short line formed while my daughter was chatting with her! So many "Happy Birthday Princess/Minnie" (when she wore ears and a red polka dot dress)!

I think I'm remembering everything!! :) need to get my trip report finished while everything is fresh!
Edit: can't believe I forgot! We got a second ride on BTMR without getting off! My DD was asking if we could ride again and that it was her favorite ride, and I was getting my bag and ears from under me, and the bar didn't unlock. We pushed a few times and tried to wave the CM to come and she just smiled!

Last edited:
I'm an adult and I have gotten several cupcakes and cards over the years. We always go early to mid June which is my birthday. One year we were watching the parade and Prince Charming even called out Happy birthday as their coach was passing! I think the cupcakes are given if you have it marked on your reservation because a couple of times at meals they would ask if we were celebrating and I would say no but got a cupcake anyway.

Phineas and Ferb led the line behind us in singing happy birthday to my father for wearing his button. Chip made a fuss about mine when I told him he was my favorite Rescue Ranger. A CM may even write "Princess" or "Prince" on your pin to have as a nice keepsake for the trip. I didn't receive any free deserts but I wasn't looking for any. It's a cute, fun little thing.

i have only been at WDW once on my birthday (about 5 years ago) but it was fun being wished a Happy Birthday by several CMs and others.

The one little surprise I got was at the Backlot Express at DHS. One of the CMs told me they had a phone call for me and took me over to a phone on the wall. The call was from Goofy wishing me a Happy Birthday.

We've received Mickey cupcakes, free desserts at several locations, glasses of champagne, cards signed by staff and some characters, being serenaded in French at the patisserie and many kind remarks from both guests and CMs. Now none of these were expected, but all appreciated. Wear you pin and hopefully, you'll get some pixie dust, but if not, at least you're celebrating at Disney.

Next to the dessert she ordered, my friend received an extra mini dessert, chocolate mousse I believe at Jiko. And after she blew out the candle, our server Hassan came with a phone, it was Mickey to wish her a happy birthday :)

It was just a nice touch, and was the perfect ending to a perfect meal.

I got a mickey straw, I got a phone call at the hall of presidents. Sometimes even other random people say happy birthday.

I went several years ago with my family and my family got me the birthday ears and i was forced to wear them all day ON my birthday and i was told "happy birthday princess" by the end of the day I was done with the princess part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter