What's the most people you have seen walk out of a movie?

Club Paradise. The movie was pretty awful, plus the theater only had one projector working, so there were 5-10 minute gaps every time they had to change reels. That was the opportunity for most of us to get our money and an hour of our lives back.

In 1980 quite a few people walked out of "Making Love" when the two men kissed. Apparently they knew nothing about the movie ahead of time and couldn't handle it.
I walked out of Ingmar Bergman's "Cries and Whispers" but that was when I was pretty young. I might like it now that I am in my 60's.
We also walked out of the animated 'Adam's Family"movie most recently.

Last edited:
3. Me and two friends when we went to see Fellini's 8 1/2. One friend was into "art" films and we had tagged along to see many. THAT friend looked at us 20 minute into the film and said "I'm out of here". That wasn't an art film, it was a bad drug trip caught on film.

"Spring Breakers" comes to mind. I saw it opening day, first showing, early on a Friday afternoon. Me and about 30 teenage girls, expecting I assume a bubblegum romp, given the Disney/Nickelodean cast.

It was ... not that. More Zabriskie Point (to quote an earlier post) than American Pie. Probably half the audience walked out. Me, I loved it. When I left there was over 100 young women lined up for the next screening with no idea what was in store for them.

I recommend it highly if you're at all a Harmony Korine, or into transgressive art. Otherwise, steer clear.

"Spring Breakers" comes to mind. I saw it opening day, first showing, early on a Friday afternoon. Me and about 30 teenage girls, expecting I assume a bubblegum romp, given the Disney/Nickelodean cast.

It was ... not that. More Zabriskie Point (to quote an earlier post) than American Pie. Probably half the audience walked out. Me, I loved it. When I left there was over 100 young women lined up for the next screening with no idea what was in store for them.

I recommend it highly if you're at all a Harmony Korine, or into transgressive art. Otherwise, steer clear.

"Spring Breeeeaaaaak!" Franco is such a psycho in that. I did not see it in theaters, but we watched it for a "bad movie night" once. Honestly, it's pretty bad and not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate it on some level.

not sure, but i've walked out twice and demanded my money back-both times got it. 1st time was 'the big chill'. i freaking LOVE that movie but apparantly there was an edited cut (no profanity) that some theaters requested but did not disclose to viewers. upon seeing the movie the 3rd or 4th time i encountered one of these prints, got up in disgust and demanded my money back. 2nd time was when the movie 'heavy metal' came out. we saw it opening night and loved it. came back with friends the 2nd night and the theater had swapped it out with a highly edited version. again got our money back.

saw a number of people walk out of the play 'the book of mormon'. i don't know what they expected it to be given the play's authors (breaking point seemed to be the daning starbucks cups in the flames of hell):banana::banana:

"Spring Breeeeaaaaak!" Franco is such a psycho in that. I did not see it in theaters, but we watched it for a "bad movie night" once. Honestly, it's pretty bad and not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate it on some level.
"Spring break .... spring break forevah .....".

Yeah, if you like hearing a stoned-sounding James Franco repeat that line, over and over again, then this is the film for you.

BTW, it did make the 2016 BBC poll of critics picking the best films of this century, coming in at 74, between "Inherent Vice" and "Before Sunset". Betcha a few people walked out of Inherent Vice, although I would question why anyone would go to that not knowing what to expect.

I wouldn't walk out of a movie unless it was supremely offensive (and then, why was I there in the first place because I don't go to a movie unless I already have some idea on it). If the movie is bad, all I do is fall asleep in the reclined heated seats. Problem solved lol

saw a number of people walk out of the play 'the book of mormon'. i don't know what they expected it to be given the play's authors (breaking point seemed to be the daning starbucks cups in the flames of hell):banana::banana:
We had the same experience at Book of Mormon after the song everyone was singing on stage was translated. Green Day’s American Idiot was second but mainly because the season ticket holders of the theatre didn’t like the rock music as it was too many generations removed from their music taste.

I have tickets to see Stray on Sunday for $4 tickets deal at Regal for National Cinema day and I’m looking forward to it as I love dumb comedies.

Um well me and some others walked out of I Am Legend when Will Smoth had to kill his dog . We knew it was coming and a guy said oh we know what going happen next and left and a few of us got up and followed him then a couple minutes later went back in.

Last edited:
I don’t know that I’ve knowingly seen people leave a movie. Like others, I guess I assume when people go out, they’re going to the restroom or to concessions and I don’t really look to see if they come back or not.

I have sat through some films that I didn’t really care for, but the only one I’ve ever walked out of was Avatar 2. I didn’t care for the first one and the only reason I went to the second one was because friends wanted to see it. I left when they killed the whale.

I don’t know that I’ve knowingly seen people leave a movie. Like others, I guess I assume when people go out, they’re going to the restroom or to concessions and I don’t really look to see if they come back or not.

Me neither. I guess if it was a movie that a lot of people were responding to initially, like with laughter, then so many people walked out that I realize there isn't as many people around laughing anymore, I might finally notice. :scratchin

I actually walked out of a movie a few weeks ago. The Regal theatres here have installed these 4DX motion seats. It's like sitting on an amusement park ride throughout the movie, with lots of rocking back and forth, jostling side to side, and nearly pitching you out of your seat. Then some air vent in the seat in front of us blew air and mist at us at us a couple times. All of it was supposed to mimic what was going on in the movie. And all this was during the previews. :crazy2:

We went to watch Mission Impossible 7, which I knew was going to be an action packed movie. I just wanted to sit with my feet propped up on one of the reclining chairs and relax. But, 5 minutes we were in those seats, I had to keep my feet firmly planted on the footrest, making sure I wouldn't be pitched forward from the seat. It was WORK to stay in the seat. They didn't have seat belts like at some rides I've been to.

So we left after those 5 minutes and exchanged the tickets for a nice "normal" viewing of Mission Impossible. Good thing, as 90% of MI is all action sequences. And it was 2.5 hours long. I don't want to work while watching a movie. :headache: The most action I want to be doing is munching on popcorn.

Here is a video demo of the seats during a movie. You can see the little girl hanging on to the arm rest at times:

I walked out of Stepmom. Admittedly, a fairly inoffensive movie but clearly none of my friends had actually looked at the plot (I certainly hadn't) when they decided that taking me to a movie would be a good distraction from watching my mom die of cancer (she died a couple of weeks after the movie excursion).

🤷🏻‍♂️. I have never actually felt the need to count how many people left a theatre during a movie.

I actually walked out of a movie a few weeks ago. The Regal theatres here have installed these 4DX motion seats. It's like sitting on an amusement park ride throughout the movie, with lots of rocking back and forth, jostling side to side, and nearly pitching you out of your seat. Then some air vent in the seat in front of us blew air and mist at us at us a couple times. All of it was supposed to mimic what was going on in the movie. And all this was during the previews. :crazy2:

We went to watch Mission Impossible 7, which I knew was going to be an action packed movie. I just wanted to sit with my feet propped up on one of the reclining chairs and relax. But, 5 minutes we were in those seats, I had to keep my feet firmly planted on the footrest, making sure I wouldn't be pitched forward from the seat. It was WORK to stay in the seat. They didn't have seat belts like at some rides I've been to.

So we left after those 5 minutes and exchanged the tickets for a nice "normal" viewing of Mission Impossible. Good thing, as 90% of MI is all action sequences. And it was 2.5 hours long. I don't want to work while watching a movie. :headache: The most action I want to be doing is munching on popcorn.

Here is a video demo of the seats during a movie. You can see the little girl hanging on to the arm rest at times:

Wow, I have heard of the seats where they basically just pump a little bass and vibration into them to enhance the immersion, but I've never seen anything like that! That's like Shrek 4-D at Universal! I mean, that's fine for a 12 minute theme park show, but for a whole movie? Yikes! Do they toss in some ibuprofin with your popcorn?

Last edited:
🤷🏻‍♂️. I have never actually felt the need to count how many people left a theatre during a movie.
I never have in the past. There were so few in the theater, 11 in a theater that seats 250+, and was so obvious because entire groups got up and left and never returned.

Wow, I have heard of the seats where they basically jsut pump a little bass and vibration into them to enhance the immersion, but I've never seen anything like that! That's like Shrek 4-D at Universal! I mean, that's fine for a 12 minute theme park show, but for a whole movie? Yikes! Do they toss in some ibuprofin with your popcorn?

The bolded above was a little demo I sat through, pre-Covid, before the chairs were installed. So the little vibration wasn't very much. And when the cashier warned us we would be going to the screening with the motion seats, we didn't think it would be as bad as it was. 🥴

Way back in the early 1980’s. Star Trek, the Wrath of Khan. I saw it several times and each time, more than a handful got up to leave just before …. (I guess - spoiler alert) ….. Spock died. I was never sure why they thought that was a good protest. Pay for your ticket, see 98% of the movie, walk out in protest just before a scene that they knew was going to happen. I don’t think they hurt Paramount’s feelings while they were giving Paramount their money.

Way back in the early 1980’s. Star Trek, the Wrath of Khan. I saw it several times and each time, more than a handful got up to leave just before …. (I guess - spoiler alert) ….. Spock died. I was never sure why they thought that was a good protest. Pay for your ticket, see 98% of the movie, walk out in protest just before a scene that they knew was going to happen. I don’t think they hurt Paramount’s feelings while they were giving Paramount their money.

Maybe they just couldn't take the ending? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter