What's the likelihood...

I've flown Southwest at least 100 times, and like others have said, they always try and sit parents with their small children if possible. The only time I've seen a parent "separated" was once with a dad who had kids that were three and four, they boarded last minute and all that the FA could do was sit them all in aisle seats. The dad sat in front of me and his kids sat in aisle seats across from him (two back to back aisles). Although not ideal, he was still across from them to watch and comfort them and honestly the kids seemed absolutely fine.

mom2brooke76 said:
I've flown Southwest at least 100 times, and like others have said, they always try and sit parents with their small children if possible. The only time I've seen a parent "separated" was once with a dad who had kids that were three and four, they boarded last minute and all that the FA could do was sit them all in aisle seats. The dad sat in front of me and his kids sat in aisle seats across from him (two back to back aisles). Although not ideal, he was still across from them to watch and comfort them and honestly the kids seemed absolutely fine.

Oh that's good to know, thanks. Across the isle wouldn't be bad.

OP,

For what it's worth, I don't think it is clear AT ALL on the SW website that the Air Tran customers effectively have priority over the seating. The disclosure also makes it seem even if you aren't assigned seats together that it can be changed at the airport.

Back in March when I noticed the fall 2013 flights were available, I was surprised to see the SW operated by Air Tran flights -- much cheaper than the SW flights. I was worried there had to be a catch and since DH and I would be travelling with DD 2 and DD 8 months I was concerned about not getting seats together. So, before I booked, I called Southwest and asked about the seating. I was assured by Southwest customer service that if our seats were assigned apart that at least 1 parent would be with DD2 (DD 8 months will be flying as a lap baby).

Then, all of these threads started popping up on this board, and I discovered that the Air Tran customers did have the option to purchase seating ahead...and I became less sure that the guarantee that the SW customer service agent gave me was accurate. I mean, how could I expect our seats to be reassigned when others had PAID to choose their seat? It didn't make sense. The final straw was when I read one account of a SW customer (booked on SW page a SW operated by Air Tran flight) was effectively bumped on the next flight when there was an oversold flight, even though he checked in 24 hours before the flight according to the SW website. For me, that was it -- it wasn't worth worrying about it anymore and so I changed our flights to SW operated by SW flights. The extra $200 in increased fare was my cost to learn this lesson (at least SW doesn't have change fees). Next time we fly to Florida, we'll be looking at different carriers until this merger is sorted out.

At the end of the day, I just wasn't willing to worry about it any more. I do believe people are kind and would be willing to help a family out...I just didn't want to leave it to chance after some of the responses I have read.

ForKeeps said:
OP,

For what it's worth, I don't think it is clear AT ALL on the SW website that the Air Tran customers effectively have priority over the seating. The disclosure also makes it seem even if you aren't assigned seats together that it can be changed at the airport.

Back in March when I noticed the fall 2013 flights were available, I was surprised to see the SW operated by Air Tran flights -- much cheaper than the SW flights. I was worried there had to be a catch and since DH and I would be travelling with DD 2 and DD 8 months I was concerned about not getting seats together. So, before I booked, I called Southwest and asked about the seating. I was assured by Southwest customer service that if our seats were assigned apart that at least 1 parent would be with DD2 (DD 8 months will be flying as a lap baby).

Then, all of these threads started popping up on this board, and I discovered that the Air Tran customers did have the option to purchase seating ahead...and I became less sure that the guarantee that the SW customer service agent gave me was accurate. I mean, how could I expect our seats to be reassigned when others had PAID to choose their seat? It didn't make sense. The final straw was when I read one account of a SW customer (booked on SW page a SW operated by Air Tran flight) was effectively bumped on the next flight when there was an oversold flight, even though he checked in 24 hours before the flight according to the SW website. For me, that was it -- it wasn't worth worrying about it anymore and so I changed our flights to SW operated by SW flights. The extra $200 in increased fare was my cost to learn this lesson (at least SW doesn't have change fees). Next time we fly to Florida, we'll be looking at different carriers until this merger is sorted out.

At the end of the day, I just wasn't willing to worry about it any more. I do believe people are kind and would be willing to help a family out...I just didn't want to leave it to chance after some of the responses I have read.

Thanks for your post, and backing my claim that it isn't clear that by booking SW you get whatever seats are leftover after those that paid got theirs. When I booked my flight I wasn't on these boards and had no idea! The only thing stopping me changing to a SW operated by SW is losing a whole day at the parks.

When I booked my flight I wasn't on these boards and had no idea! The only thing stopping me changing to a SW operated by SW is losing a whole day at the parks.

Yes, but this is explained on WN's website. A lot of problems could be prevented if people read the Contract of Carriage for their airline and their basic policies before booking tickets.

Yes, but this is explained on WN's website. A lot of problems could be prevented if people read the Contract of Carriage for their airline and their basic policies before booking tickets.

The PP said that she "had no idea [that the Air Tran customers effectively have priority over the seating]!"

I've read AirTran's Contract of Carriage. I was unable to find anything explaining that AirTran tickets purchased through AirTran have seating priority over AirTran tickets purchased through SW. Perhaps you could quote it for me.

Then I went to AirTran's website to read its "General Information" under the heading "policies," which I assume is what you refer to as "basic policies." It states, "Advance seat assignments on AirTran operated segments are available for purchase at any time with Discount Coach and Sale fares." SW is mentioned several times on that page, but nowhere does it explain that this "basic policy" does not apply to AirTran tickets purchased through SW.

So, a person reads AirTran's Contract of Carriage and "basic policies" before booking tickets, and there is still a problem. This further illustrates the PP's point that the SW website does not clearly explain that AirTran customers who purchased through AirTran effectively have priority over the seating. And, the AirTran website doesn't clearly explain it either. Yes, the FAQs state, "Advanced seat assignments are not available on shared itineraries purchased via Southwest channels. Customers who purchase an AirTran segment on Southwest channels will be assigned a seat at the time of check in." But, this information isn't included in the "basic policies." Given that the basic policies clearly explain that advance seat assignment are available for purchase "at any time" and also reference SW, but do not address the seating priority issue, there's seemingly no need to read FAQs, hunting for inconsistencies.

The point is that SW could do a better job of explaining the seating issues with AirTran flights booked through SW. Yes, it might be contained in either SW's or AirTran's policies (basic or non-basic), procedures, methods of operations, and/or obligations. But, IMHO, a customer shouldn't have to read all of that (assuming it were publicly available) to understand what actions parents might take to ensure that they are seated next to their child.

frisbeego said:
The PP said that she "had no idea [that the Air Tran customers effectively have priority over the seating]!"

I've read AirTran's Contract of Carriage. I was unable to find anything explaining that AirTran tickets purchased through AirTran have seating priority over AirTran tickets purchased through SW. Perhaps you could quote it for me.

Then I went to AirTran's website to read its "General Information" under the heading "policies," which I assume is what you refer to as "basic policies." It states, "Advance seat assignments on AirTran operated segments are available for purchase at any time with Discount Coach and Sale fares." SW is mentioned several times on that page, but nowhere does it explain that this "basic policy" does not apply to AirTran tickets purchased through SW.

So, a person reads AirTran's Contract of Carriage and "basic policies" before booking tickets, and there is still a problem. This further illustrates the PP's point that the SW website does not clearly explain that AirTran customers who purchased through AirTran effectively have priority over the seating. And, the AirTran website doesn't clearly explain it either. Yes, the FAQs state, "Advanced seat assignments are not available on shared itineraries purchased via Southwest channels. Customers who purchase an AirTran segment on Southwest channels will be assigned a seat at the time of check in." But, this information isn't included in the "basic policies." Given that the basic policies clearly explain that advance seat assignment are available for purchase "at any time" and also reference SW, but do not address the seating priority issue, there's seemingly no need to read FAQs, hunting for inconsistencies.

The point is that SW could do a better job of explaining the seating issues with AirTran flights booked through SW. Yes, it might be contained in either SW's or AirTran's policies (basic or non-basic), procedures, methods of operations, and/or obligations. But, IMHO, a customer shouldn't have to read all of that (assuming it were publicly available) to understand what actions parents might take to ensure that they are seated next to their child.

Wow, thanks! And no, I've never ever read an airline's Contact of Carriage. And I've flown to every continent except Antarctica! I don't think that is something your average traveler does either. ;)

Snip -

I totally agree - and not to pile on or blame on the OP but to help others going forward:
I went to the SWA website and went through the process of booking an AT flight - after I chose flights but before I confirmed the message below pops up - its pretty clear that they want your attention with a green triangle "warning type" symbol.

Quote -

This itinerary is operated by AirTran.
What you need to know to travel:
Don't forget to check in for your flight(s) 24 hours before your trip on southwest.com, your mobile device, at the AirTran Ticket Counter, or Airport Kiosk.
AirTran has assigned seating. Advanced seat assignments are not available. Customers who purchase an AirTran segment on Southwest channels will be assigned a seat at the time of check in.
Once you check in, you will not be able to change your seat until arrival at the airport.

end of swa quote

So they make it pretty clear that you don't get assigned seats or EBCI but; like the OP said; it isn't completely clear that folks who book through Air Tran will have had the opportunity to choose advance seating.

However IMHO most folks will choose 2 free bags over a $6.00 assogmed seat and book via SWA, add that to the folks who book via AT but don't spend the extra $ to buy seats and I think the OP has a very good chance of finding seats together at T24.

OP you and your 3yo you won't be separated - and thanks for posting your experiences so those of us who use SWA and or AT can see what the issues are until the merge is done.

tjmw2727 said:
OP you and your 3yo you won't be separated - and thanks for posting your experiences so those of us who use SWA and or AT can see what the issues are until the merge is done.

Thanks, and you're welcome. I did indeed see and read the warning in the SW website when I got my ticket. And it's exactly like you said, it didn't mention anything about AT customers being able to purchase seats in advance and SW customers only getting what is left over.

If nobody was allowed to pre purchase seats, the chances of 2 passengers getting split up at the 24 hour mark is non existant. In this case, it's probably slim to none, but that depends on how many AT customers paid for seats.

My flight isn't until September, but I'll report back after the trip to let you know what happened.

I'll speculate a significant number of passengers on an AT flight book on Southwest's site in order to take advantage of the checked bag allowance and the lack of change fees.

Lewisc said:
I'll speculate a significant number of passengers on an AT flight book on Southwest's site in order to take advantage of the checked bag allowance and the lack of change fees.

That would work in my favor! Worst part is, I don't need to check a bag. I was planning on taking 2 carry ons and check DD's car seat which is always free anyway.

DS14, DD10 and I flew AirTran last month. (Boston to Baltimore, Baltimore to Fort Myers). We were flying school vacation week and flights were quite expensive. We opted not to pay for seats (I booked through AirTran) since the $ was more important to us as spending $ then sitting together was.

Anyway, I checked in about 10 minutes after the 24 hour mark and was able to pick seats for free and got seats together on both flights. We got the last set of 3 together for the first leg; for the second, there were a ton of choices.
When I got to the airport (Boston) it was mass chaos. They had overbooked the flight and there were a lot of upset people who couldn't get seats together or couldn't get seats at all.

I do think your chances of getting two seats together is good. But, make sure you check in at exactly the 24 hour mark.

SmallWorld71 said:
DS14, DD10 and I flew AirTran last month. (Boston to Baltimore, Baltimore to Fort Myers). We were flying school vacation week and flights were quite expensive. We opted not to pay for seats (I booked through AirTran) since the $ was more important to us as spending $ then sitting together was.

Anyway, I checked in about 10 minutes after the 24 hour mark and was able to pick seats for free and got seats together on both flights. We got the last set of 3 together for the first leg; for the second, there were a ton of choices.
When I got to the airport (Boston) it was mass chaos. They had overbooked the flight and there were a lot of upset people who couldn't get seats together or couldn't get seats at all.

I do think your chances of getting two seats together is good. But, make sure you check in at exactly the 24 hour mark.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter