What's the deal with no swimming in the lake....

We saw a gator on the boat ride at magic kingdom. He was not large, but still there. We even got pictures.

Originally posted by firefawnkimmy
Hrm, I just wanted to add that there I certainly hope that there would not be any gators in the lakes at Disney. Even if they took every gator out and missed a few it would be way too chancey b/c gators do NOT always stay in the water! imagine your lovely romantic stroll along the beach of the Polynesian and then SNAP, gator attatched to your hubby or wife's leg! AHH! :earseek:

I saw a post a few weeks back about this, and was really suprised b/c at one of my family's trips to the Caribbean there were a LOT of people swimming and even a section roped off for them. I remember b/c our boat we had rented broke and drifted into the swimming section and they made everyone get out so they wouldn't get hit by our drifting boat!!! First technical problem Ive ever had at Disney! I asked my parents if that section was still there b/c they got back from Disney again last week and they said it was gone and wondering why. But if its bacteria that makes sence becuase a lot of bacterias can aggrevate certain conditions in people, and cause pretty severe infections in minor little cuts. Whens the last time you saw a child with not a single cut on them? I don't think Ive ever encountered that!

Also some more food for thought, the bacteria that caused the Milwaukee outbreak (oh goodness did I spell Milwaukee right?) that hospitalized thousands way back is found in 80% of freestanding water bodies in the U.S. today now. Fun thought huh? Brings all new meaning to keep your mouth closed when swimming!

It's Florida, and Yes there are gators in the lakes at Disney. They do a very good job of containing them and removing the large ones to nonpopulated areas of the resort, but they are there.

If you visit Florida, always be prepared for any body of water to possibly be home to gators. It's a fact of life here and a natural occurance.

There's even gators inside the waterways at MK. BC had a famous one for awhile last year, not sure if it's still there.

Disney relocates them before they get big enough to be dangerous.

Believe me when you cross the Florida state line every body of water could be home to alligators.I played golf at Osprey a couple years ago and there were several gators on the course.Disney does a great job moving them but they will always be around.

A question for all you Florida people: I have a friend who grew up in Florida and she said that the alligators aren't agressive. Most of them won't bother you if you don't bother them. Is this true?

Originally posted by auntpolly
A question for all you Florida people: I have a friend who grew up in Florida and she said that the alligators aren't agressive. Most of them won't bother you if you don't bother them. Is this true?

I'm not from Florida, but I do live in Louisiana and even though I live in the northwest part of the state, trust me we have our share of alligators around here. I have a good friend who lives on a lake here and they see alligators all the time. Her mom likes to fish and has a HUGE "buddy" alligator that will swim right next to her boat and she isn't the least bit afraid (but personally I think she's a little nuts). There is a marina right around the bend from them and one day a lady was inside the cabin on her very nice size yacht and when she walked out on the deck there was a 6-7 foot gator on her deck sunning itself. Talk about a surprise guest! So, while you hear that alligators would rather stay away from humans, and it is the case sometimes, it isn't always the case. As far as them being aggressive and wanting to make you their snack, they aren't as aggressive as crocodiles BUT if they are hungry look out. Only about 3 miles from where I live there is a VERY nice residential neighborhood that has a MAN MADE pond in the middle with houses with lawns that are right on the pond. I have often seen kids playing by the water there. Nobody would think of an alligator in there! Well, a couple of years ago we had heavy rains and apparently a gator came out of a bayou that runs near the neighborhood and he must have been looking to get back into the water and ended up in their pond! Nobody knew until this man was throwing a tennis ball for his black Labrador Retriever and it went near (not even in) the water and the gator lunged out and grabbed the dog. The man ran up to try to help the dog and the gator swatted him with his tail as he took the dog into the pond. It was on the news and sad because the man was so upset to see his dog killed that way. Although sad, at least it wasn't a child! They sent trappers out to find it and they never did - they think it left the way it must have come in. They said it was also unusual because at that time of year alligators have usually started to hibernate but that he must have been hungry. Sorry so long but my point is that when you are dealing with something in the wild there are no guarantees.

Originally posted by tazz
We saw a gator on the boat ride at magic kingdom. He was not large, but still there. We even got pictures.

I saw one too... and an elephant, a hippopotomous, and a guy selling shrunken heads!!!

:rotfl:

Gators are very protective of their young, also. Problem is - you never know if there's a nest near you.

We treat them with the respect due to wild animals. They don't tend to be agressive, but you just can't take the chance...

We live on a lake and have a 12 footer that suns on the bank quite frequently. We leave him alone, and he leaves us alone...

Originally posted by lfontaine
I saw one too... and an elephant, a hippopotomous, and a guy selling shrunken heads!!!

I think the poster meant the steamboat. There have been gators in the water around Tom Sawyer Island.

"Floridafam" were you in the movie SIGNS? Whats with the picture and all the "Amoebas" talk?

Originally posted by HairyAriel
Gators & Amoebas huh? Sounds like a great place for my mother in law to take a quick dip.
is this an E tix ride where do i sign my new to be mother in law up:tongue:

ROFL:laughing: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :laughing:

I got a MIL for that ride too:rolleyes1 But seriously......as to asking us FL posters about gators. I don't know if y'all caught Good morning America yesterday - it was all over the local news down here but GMA covered it as well - but just the other day down here a 12yr old boy jumped in the lake to wash off and take a quick dip after helping his grandmother with her house and got attacked by a gator. He got several stitches in his head and part of his ear ripped off. Apparently he started punching the gator to get loose (which btw is exactly what they say you should do if ever attacked:scared1: ) and thank goodness that is what he did out of reflex because it's what saved his life. So while gators may not bother you if you don't bother them, I'd just as soon stay clear of them and not take a chance. This boy and his family were not aware of the gator being in the lake and people in that area were said to have gone swimming there all the time so they thought nothing of it until this incident happend. Gators are all over FL -- I too have seen one in WDW over in a pond near DTD and TL and we see them from time to time here in Palm Coast. They once had to fence in this small swampy area in front of one of the schools because they found a gator in it and had to have it removed (fence of course went up immeadiately after to prevent it from happening again). I think they said last night on the news there are like over 1 million alligators in FL and that since they started keeping track there have been 1330 attacks on humans. So -- personnally, I'd stay away from them if possible. You just never know if that gator you're seeing is a hungry gator:eek:

I know I've seen several post about a large gator that was in a water hazard in the golf course near SOG. I think they eventually removed him, not because he was agressive, but because he was so large that he was scaring people.

OK--Alligators can be agressive and they may not. In most bodies of water (in Fla)--if they are aggressive and attack a dog a person, whatever--they are trapped and killed. If it is just lurking about in a place where there are people--the mere possibility of an attack will warrant that the gator be captured and relocated. They have even shown up in backyard swimming pools--the news cameras just love those moments.

As far as the amoebas--it is a very true statement that they can exist in the water...more promiment in the steamy hot months. This triatholon is taking place this weekend--it isn't being held in August. I am sure these athletes have been briefed on whatever precautions they need to to take if any are deemed necessary.

But has anyone considered that maybe at the poly--where the swimming signs are prominent--that it isn't wise to swim in the water near the boat launch. (Or did they build the boat launch to deter the swimming :) )

And as far as River Country--directly from a CM when we checked in on Wednesday--it is being looked into as a possibility to reopen it for FW guests only. Apparently a big problem on the pool hopping especially over to WL. So if they have amoebas there---I don't think they would be looking into ways to off the campers...urr...looking into reopening that park if there were issues with things that could kill you unexpectedly.

The no swimming probably has to do with the fact they don't want people getting hit by the boat traffic and if someone goes under in that dark water they are very difficult to locate let alone rescue.

I'm not sure why Disney doesn't allow swimming in their lakes - but I'd bet it has to do with safety and lawsuits!!!

I swam in Seven seas Lagoon (along with 1000 other women) in Sept. '02 as part of the Danskin Triathalon -----Danskin runs this triathalon at WDW every year (It was last weekend I believe).

There are no warnings or other advisories given regarding the water---and seeing as this is a "baby triathalon" for athletes of every ability -- there are quite a few women who are not the best of swimmers (there are "angels" in the water with noodles for those women to rest during their swim!)-- hence, there is probably alot of water-gulping.

I saw one fish swim into my legs, had seaweed stuck in my bathing suit, and certainly gulped my share of water (it's almost impossible not to, with that many people all trying to swim at the same time in the same place) -- But nope - I didn't get sick---In fact, I've never heard of anyone getting sick.

It may be true that they treat the lagoon prior to running the triathalons, But knowing Disney - I bet it's safe all of the time (see aforementioned lawsuits)---Maybe it has to do with erosion of the lake, wildlife in the lake (I'm talking fish here) -- who knows---but I doubt it's amoebas.

Synonymous

Cast Member statements are as reliable as Goofy's cooking.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Regarding lake swimming though--

Amoebas, Gators, and the like--they can be in all standing water in Florida--and people still swim in it and aren't dead yet. People get bitten by sharks and others still swim in the ocean.

I will not go near a lake though to swim in it--too yucky--I like my feet to touch concrete in the water--not the icky unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter