Whats more important to you - room size or location?

TheBigQ

Mouseketeer
Yes I'm being tortured by all the resort choices offered at Disney. Our family of 5 have a vacation planned for October and currently booked in a 1 bedroom at OKW. We booked this resort for the size of the room/amenities but are concerned w/the distance from theme parks compared to some of our other choices - Poly or CR. I'm just wondering how most people choose their resort.

For us its a trade off - we get the room size we want but we're not as close to MK as if we stayed at the Poly. But the Poly has the monorail (thats a plus in our book as well) but the rooms are not as big. So its a trade off and we can't seem to decide. Room size or convenience? Aughhhhhhhh!

Our kids are ages 8, 5 & 2 - to me the Poly theme seems like one they'd like better whereas the OKW looks lovely but maybe for an older crowd. Not sure - the pool area looks nice at OKW w/sandcastle slide & the kids like the pics of the pool. Thanks for any opinions! :)

Oh - all the villas are booked for our trip except OKW, SSR. Not sure about BWV - we didn't check that one (clown pool)!

If I had a choice between a one bedroom at OKW or the Poly for my family, I would go with the one bedroom in a heartbeat! Having a full kitchen and a separate bedroom and even a washer and dryer beats out being on the monorail, IMHO. But I would go insane spending an entire week with my husband and two boys (11 and 13) in a single room. ;)

But we aren't really commando-type Disney guests. We really enjoy time at the pool, sleeping in and leisurely dinners.

If the trip were for a weekend getaway with my DH, then that would be a different story. Then I'd consider Poly.

As far as OKW goes, I've stayed there just one night on two separate occasions. It's got a really nice, relaxed feel to it. The pool is fun. Olivia's was great for b'fast, and they've got a decent sized store. You can take a boat to DD or even walk to it via the golf course if you are feeling energetic.

Good luck. :)

I would go with OKW.

because shortly you won't be able too.

once the AKV is open - I have a feeling family of five or more will be forced to stay here if they want a full kitchen.

okay FW cabins too.

would you believe that DVC does not knowledge that CRO (DVTC) books families of 5 at 1-bedroom in DVC resorts and has been doing that for a long time.

you might also consider VWL. See if CRO will let you have 5 in that 1-bedroom.

then you get a 1-bedroom but still near MK. Now it is not nearly as big as OKW - but it is still much roomier than a hotel room.

I would go with OKW.

because shortly you won't be able too.

once the AKV is open - I have a feeling family of five or more will be forced to stay here if they want a full kitchen.

okay FW cabins too.

would you believe that DVC does not knowledge that CRO (DVTC) books families of 5 at 1-bedroom in DVC resorts and has been doing that for a long time.

you might also consider VWL. See if CRO will let you have 5 in that 1-bedroom.

then you get a 1-bedroom but still near MK. Now it is not nearly as big as OKW - but it is still much roomier than a hotel room.

Yup - we did have ressies for VWL last month but DD4 got sick & we had to cancel our trip. When we rebooked there was no available 1 bedrooms in VWL or BCV - our top 2. So we went w/OKW - not as far out as SSR and the rooms are larger. My biggest concern w/OKW is the size of the resort and lack of food options although we would have a kitchen.

Thanks for the advice.

If I had a choice between a one bedroom at OKW or the Poly for my family, I would go with the one bedroom in a heartbeat! Having a full kitchen and a separate bedroom and even a washer and dryer beats out being on the monorail, IMHO. But I would go insane spending an entire week with my husband and two boys (11 and 13) in a single room. ;)

But we aren't really commando-type Disney guests. We really enjoy time at the pool, sleeping in and leisurely dinners.

If the trip were for a weekend getaway with my DH, then that would be a different story. Then I'd consider Poly.

As far as OKW goes, I've stayed there just one night on two separate occasions. It's got a really nice, relaxed feel to it. The pool is fun. Olivia's was great for b'fast, and they've got a decent sized store. You can take a boat to DD or even walk to it via the golf course if you are feeling energetic.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for the advice - we aren't commando types either. Kids need down time or should I say lots of pool time. And we are hoping to keep DD2 on her nap schedule for all our sakes ;). We'll probably stick w/OKW.

I guess I am the lone dissenter, but I would probably go with the Poly/Contemporary. Unless I am mistaken, the 1-bedroom villas at OKW come with only one real bed. That means your kids would have to sleep on a sofa bed and you would have a crib for the young one. At the Poly/Contemporary, your kids would get a real bed in addition to the daybed and whatever you would put your 2 year old in. The room might be smaller, but it is certainly big enough for a family of your size and the location really is unbeatable. You lose the separate sleeping areas and the kitchen, but you gain a much nicer resort, the monorail, a real bed for your kids, and a much better location. To me that is worth the tradeoff.

have you seem the new pool slide at OKW?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/545

it can be a little fast for small kids - I would do it before I allowed them on it.

there is a big play area in the sand - next to this pool.

all the pools at OKW have a playground, plus a hot tub. of course a 1-bedroom has a hot tub in the villa.

Yes - the kids absolutely love these pictures especially the sand play area. I'm not sure if DS8 will go on the slide or not but I'll definitely try it out just to make sure its ok ;). DD4 still needs to be held in the water - she doesn't like the water even w/a life jacket. Thanks for the link.

I guess I am the lone dissenter, but I would probably go with the Poly/Contemporary. Unless I am mistaken, the 1-bedroom villas at OKW come with only one real bed. That means your kids would have to sleep on a sofa bed and you would have a crib for the young one. At the Poly/Contemporary, your kids would get a real bed in addition to the daybed and whatever you would put your 2 year old in. The room might be smaller, but it is certainly big enough for a family of your size and the location really is unbeatable. You lose the separate sleeping areas and the kitchen, but you gain a much nicer resort, the monorail, a real bed for your kids, and a much better location. To me that is worth the tradeoff.

Definitely food for thought! Our kids usually sleep fine in a sofa bed - seems like everytime we stay at a hotel suite thats whats offered. They're still so light that its comfortable for them - I think sofa beds are really uncomfortable for adults. I have a crib on order from abbf for the 2 yr old. If we did stay at the Poly I'm not sure if both DH and I could sleep in a queen we have a king at home so thats what we're used to. But we could sleep w/DS8 on daybed, me w/DD2 & DH w/DD4. That would work. Thanks for the tip.

Yup - we did have ressies for VWL last month but DD4 got sick & we had to cancel our trip. When we rebooked there was no available 1 bedrooms in VWL or BCV - our top 2. So we went w/OKW - not as far out as SSR and the rooms are larger. My biggest concern w/OKW is the size of the resort and lack of food options although we would have a kitchen.
Then, I would consider SSR instead. It has a food court and it's very close to DTD. It's really just up the street from OKW, so you're not adding a huge amount of travel time. It's also a large resort, but it doesn't feel as spread out as OKW. In addition, the pool is zero depth which would be fun for your 2-year old.

ETA: While I adore the Poly, I think you will be cramped there with your family of 5.

Based on the age of your children I would choose the Poly because of the monorail access and I think they would love the theming. If they get tired or you need to get back quickly it's the best all you do is hop on and your at your hotel, no waiting in line for your bus to arrive which at times can take some time.

We stayed at the Poly in Sept '06 in the bldg right by the TTC. It took 5 mins or less to walk to the monorail and we were at MK & EPCOT in a matter of minutes. That to me was the deciding factor in staying there. ;)

I would go with the Poly! The monorail just can't be beat for getting back and forth without a lot of travel time, especially with the ages of your kids. Once they're older, the busses will feel more tolerable, but for now, I'd do the Poly. Also 5 in a room may seem crowded once the kids get bigger, but now, I think you'll be comfy. I must add, though that I am a Poly nut, so I may be a little biased.

Thanks for all the replies. We still haven't made a decision. We've even thought about the CBR - looks tropical w/o but no monorail. Thanks again.

Now I think the 1 bedroom would be great for the two year old. She can take her nap on the bed, and you don't have to tip toe around.

You can also keep b'fast food including eggs, sandwich stuff, snacks, etc. in the one bedroom. You don't have to be at the mercy of Disney restaurants for three meals a day. That's a plus IMO when you have tired little ones.

This is usually a depends answer, but with some of your discription of children, ages and "type of familiy", meaning do you spend time at your resort vs. "commando" I think the extra space at OKW will be just what the Dr. ordered. If you have a rental car...then even more so. POly gets a nob becuase of monorail...but with your own transportation things even out more between the resorts. We always get a car so I usually dont worry about transportation issues.
Although I love Poly (Stayed there 1st visit in '75) I think the size and kitchen will make OKW the best choice. I would suggest you ask for Buildings 62,63 or 64 as they are within walking distance to the Hospitality House, main pool and restaurant. Its a big resort and although there are other quite pools around some of the other buildings...of course the kids will want the main pool with the sandcastle.

Good Luck and have fun :thumbsup2

This is usually a depends answer, but with some of your discription of children, ages and "type of familiy", meaning do you spend time at your resort vs. "commando" I think the extra space at OKW will be just what the Dr. ordered. If you have a rental car...then even more so. POly gets a nob becuase of monorail...but with your own transportation things even out more between the resorts. We always get a car so I usually dont worry about transportation issues.
Although I love Poly (Stayed there 1st visit in '75) I think the size and kitchen will make OKW the best choice. I would suggest you ask for Buildings 62,63 or 64 as they are within walking distance to the Hospitality House, main pool and restaurant. Its a big resort and although there are other quite pools around some of the other buildings...of course the kids will want the main pool with the sandcastle.

Good Luck and have fun :thumbsup2

We have put in a request to be near the Hospitality House - I think it was buildings 11 or 13. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips - we were thinking of renting a car to get around except to MK. DS8 still loves the pics of the pool at OKW ever after seeing Tikiman's site. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter