Whats January Like in Disneyland?

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
So the big news today is that the travel ban is being removed from November. This means that I can finally return to California and Disneyland. I have created a pre trip thread here for all my planning.

The last time I was in Disneyland was June 2019 and I really really miss it. My dilemma now is do I travel before Christmas, basically as soon as I can even though I know its a busy time in the parks

OR

do I hold off for a few weeks, whats another month after all this time and travel in January, when the Christmas season is over?

The weather does not bother me, but flights and hotels may be cheaper after the holiday season.

I am still planning my usual June trip so this will be the finally I am able to travel and see my friends trip, the big reunion and emotional return to Disneyland.

One thing to consider is that early in January several attractions will have some downtime to remove the holiday overlays, and later in January you have Lunar New Year activities starting (1-2 weeks before actual Lunar New Year which is Feb. 1). So in general, lower temps, usually lower crowds, but also decreased attraction and entertainment offerings.

January is a nice month to go if you're not traveling far. The prices are usually a lot better and the crowds are lower. However, the park hours are also typically shorter and there's more likelihood of rain (though not a huge consideration in general). There are attractions down and fewer specialty things going on. So, pluses and minuses. I always go to DLR sometime in the first 2 weeks of Dec because I love the holiday season and it's typically not too crowded then. This year, though, who knows?? I also like to go in the latter half of Jan for my birthday. I would say Dec might be more fun but Jan would probably be less busy. It's very hard for me to give advice though because I've not been since pre-Covid Christmas 2019.

Edited to add that I mentioned Jan if you're not traveling far because of the shorter hours and fewer attractions open.

Congratulations on being able to return to the states!

If you do decide to come in January, I would not worry about rain. Our rainy season, if you can call it that, is from March through early May. Even then we rarely have a real rainy season. Maybe one every 2-3 years with a few days of rain sprinkled in the other years. Of course if you happen to come during one of our short rainy periods, it won't matter if it is not a real rainy season to you. Anyway, we get very little rain in January so nothing for you to worry about.

EDIT***I stand corrected, we do get more rain in January then in March and April. I have lived within a few miles of Disneyland my entire life and never realized that. Anyway, as I stated previously, we usually don't get much rain so I would not let that stop me.

Last edited:

I thought of you when I saw the announcement! And Adam Hatton who vlogs Disney content. He’s been so anxious to return and I’m anxious for more vlogs!

One thing to consider is that early in January several attractions will have some downtime to remove the holiday overlays, and later in January you have Lunar New Year activities starting (1-2 weeks before actual Lunar New Year which is Feb. 1). So in general, lower temps, usually lower crowds, but also decreased attraction and entertainment offerings.
Thanks for the reminder about Lunar New Year. I did see the thread but didnt take much notice of the dates. Ive been to Disneyland Paris in February, which had temperatures of about 40F and there was frost on the ground each morning walking down Main Street so I dont think California will be that cold lol. There was also a lot of refurbs and shorter park hours on that visit to Disneyland Paris, but I still had an amazing time.

January is a nice month to go if you're not traveling far. The prices are usually a lot better and the crowds are lower. However, the park hours are also typically shorter and there's more likelihood of rain (though not a huge consideration in general). There are attractions down and fewer specialty things going on. So, pluses and minuses. I always go to DLR sometime in the first 2 weeks of Dec because I love the holiday season and it's typically not too crowded then. This year, though, who knows?? I also like to go in the latter half of Jan for my birthday. I would say Dec might be more fun but Jan would probably be less busy. It's very hard for me to give advice though because I've not been since pre-Covid Christmas 2019.

Edited to add that I mentioned Jan if you're not traveling far because of the shorter hours and fewer attractions open.

Rain doesnt bother me lol, Ireland is very similar to Washington State and we get a lot of rain :) OOh thats interesting about the start of December not being as busy and a good time to go. Thanks for that suggestion :)

Congratulations on being able to return to the states!

If you do decide to come in January, I would not worry about rain. Our rainy season, if you can call it that, is from March through early May. Even then we rarely have a real rainy season. Maybe one every 2-3 years with a few days of rain sprinkled in the other years. Of course if you happen to come during one of our short rainy periods, it won't matter if it is not a real rainy season to you. Anyway, we get very little rain in January so nothing for you to worry about.

EDIT***I stand corrected, we do get more rain in January then in March and April. I have lived within a few miles of Disneyland my entire life and never realized that. Anyway, as I stated previously, we usually don't get much rain so I would not let that stop me.

Thanks, its so funny, lol everyone warning me about the rain. The rain I'm used to is like the rain in Washington State. I love how rain is called sprinkles in California, lol :)

I thought of you when I saw the announcement! And Adam Hatton who vlogs Disney content. He’s been so anxious to return and I’m anxious for more vlogs!

Aww thanks. Yes I'm sure there are a lot of UK people really happy. After watching all the Disney Magic UK cruises, it seems that so many UK people did the cruises as they couldnt go to Walt Disney World.

Thanks for the reminder about Lunar New Year. I did see the thread but didnt take much notice of the dates. Ive been to Disneyland Paris in February, which had temperatures of about 40F and there was frost on the ground each morning walking down Main Street so I dont think California will be that cold lol. There was also a lot of refurbs and shorter park hours on that visit to Disneyland Paris, but I still had an amazing time.

.... Feb 2019 was a roasty-toasty 32º/0º when I left the motel each morning. I NEVER realized that was even a possibility, LOL! Thankfully, it was all over the news (in Oregon) that California was having a "cold spell" so I packed my cold weather coat, scarf, and hat. Its been 2.5 years, and I still clearly remember how bad my lips got chapped. It took probably a week for them to get back to normal when I got home! I believe that was also the trip of torrential downpours; Disneyland isn't made for the rain it was getting, and puddles/standing water was everywhere!

Despite the weird weather noted above, I often go in January. Yes, it's often chilly, but the crowds are lower, so there's less waiting in lines, which balances out nicely with our June trips where there's people and lines everywhere. As you pointed out, flights will often be less expensive, as will hotel lodging. We usually pay $120 or so at Desert Inn and Suites in January and February.

As others have noted, the hours will shorten. I actually kind of liked this, as it forces me to relax and get some sleep since I'm not at the parks until 11pm and back at it at 7am :)

The biggest trick with scheduling January and February are the ride downtimes. Haunted Mansion holiday usually goes down immediately after the holiday season (last day 1/9/22), and down for 10-14 days. Then it's usually up for a day before they close it's a small world holiday for the following 2 weeks, so generally you'll miss one ride or the other unless you do the very first week of January (1/3-1/8). Splash Mountain's annual refurb is usually January and Feb, and Grizzly is typically under maintenance at that time as well. The holiday decorations come down slowly, so there's still some touches of the holidays throughout January (especially around the it's a small world mall area).

.... Feb 2019 was a roasty-toasty 32º/0º when I left the motel each morning. I NEVER realized that was even a possibility, LOL! Thankfully, it was all over the news (in Oregon) that California was having a "cold spell" so I packed my cold weather coat, scarf, and hat. Its been 2.5 years, and I still clearly remember how bad my lips got chapped. It took probably a week for them to get back to normal when I got home! I believe that was also the trip of torrential downpours; Disneyland isn't made for the rain it was getting, and puddles/standing water was everywhere!

Remember that rainy, cold spell so well! Here are some threads (with great tips and advice!) from that winter:
Rain
Can we chat rain?
Rain expected between the 6th and 8th?
Thanksgiving day crowds, despite the rain, pics + park map offer)
Advice for solo trip with rain!

OP: Helpful weather data from Hydroguy, Detailed Weather Data for DLR .

Last edited:

Despite the weird weather noted above, I often go in January. Yes, it's often chilly, but the crowds are lower, so there's less waiting in lines, which balances out nicely with our June trips where there's people and lines everywhere. As you pointed out, flights will often be less expensive, as will hotel lodging. We usually pay $120 or so at Desert Inn and Suites in January and February.

As others have noted, the hours will shorten. I actually kind of liked this, as it forces me to relax and get some sleep since I'm not at the parks until 11pm and back at it at 7am :)

The biggest trick with scheduling January and February are the ride downtimes. Haunted Mansion holiday usually goes down immediately after the holiday season (last day 1/9/22), and down for 10-14 days. Then it's usually up for a day before they close it's a small world holiday for the following 2 weeks, so generally you'll miss one ride or the other unless you do the very first week of January (1/3-1/8). Splash Mountain's annual refurb is usually January and Feb, and Grizzly is typically under maintenance at that time as well. The holiday decorations come down slowly, so there's still some touches of the holidays throughout January (especially around the it's a small world mall area).
I remember that cold spell very well. My wife and I went to the first annual Sweethearts Night at DL that February. We were bundled up in our coats and gloves. Most people did not have gloves and kept commenting on what a good idea it was for us to bring them. Thing is, we are both Orange County born and raised so we get cold very easily. That is why we always have gloves and beanies in our glove compartments so was not difficult at all to just grab our gloves.

We had a great time that night, freezing temps and all. I believe it dropped to 36 degrees by the time we were leaving DL at about 1:30am.

Going in January can be nice because of lower crowds and it's easy to do whatever you want. The downsides are that it gets dark early (and when the sun goes down, it gets cold) and that rides are closed for refurbishment. Usually the park hours are shorter, too.

I also remember this cold spell. I am from Hawaii and that was the first time in my life I had winter rash from from cold weather.

oooh you are all so cute about the cold in Disneyland in January. This is one of my photos from my last trip to Disneyland Paris, February 2016. Thats frost on the grass and on Tinkerbell. For those who may not know, frost is a thin layer of ice on a solid surface, which forms from water vapor in an above-freezing atmosphere coming in contact with a solid surface whose temperature is below freezing.

12764599_10153798249505041_2329747871741026380_o.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter