What's it like?

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
Just booked a one night trip to Disney to bring my mom to MK to see the castle and lights as a way to celebrate her 100% recovery from Covid and her 70th birthday. We will be there the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which I know means crowds will be high. I want to set my expectations on the lower side as this will be our first time traveling in a year.

Since Covid...

Whats MK like without FP?
What can we realistically accomplish if we arrive at 11am and stay all day?
Whats the magic express like?
Buses to MK from Saratoga?
Disney Springs?
Any tips or things you wish you knew, brought with you on your trips this year?

We just finished a trip and visited the Magic Kingdom a few times to see the lights.

Crowds are up. Less than in a normal year but much more crowded than July 2020.

MK without FP is great. Lines can be long (because of social distancing) but they move quickly. Most wait times were less than the posted wait time. I hope they never bring back FP.

Magical Express had light crowds and was quick. There was only one other group on the bus. Since you'll be arriving on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I suspect there will be many taking Magical Express to the airport, in the opposite direction of you.

Bus service was better than normal. I don't think we ever waited more than 15 minutes for a bus.

We did not go to Disney Springs but I've heard it is very crowded, especially on weekends.

One tip is to get used to wearing a mask all day long. Except when eating or drinking stationary, this is strictly enforced at WDW, including on the buses. (Masks are also not required in your room or at the pool.)

Last edited:
We just finished a trip and visited the Magic Kingdom a few times to see the lights.

Crowds are up. Less than normal but much more crowded than July.

MK without FP is great. Lines can be long (because of social distancing) but they move quickly. Most wait times were less than the posted wait time. I hope they never bring back FP.

Magical Express had light crowds and was quick. There was only one other group on the bus. Since you'll be arriving on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I suspect there will be many taking Magical Express to the airport, in the opposite direction of you.

Bus service was better than normal. I don't think we ever waited more than 15 minutes for a bus.

We did not go to Disney Springs but I've heard it is very crowded, especially on weekends.

One tip is to get used to wearing a mask all day long. Except when eating or drinking stationary, this is strictly enforced at WDW, including on the buses. (Masks are also not required in your room or at the pool.)
Great info! Thank you

I hope your aren't coming to see the icicle lights on the castle because they don't have them this year. They have a media overlay of the castle that changes every 15 minutes or so.

Just booked a one night trip to Disney to bring my mom to MK to see the castle and lights as a way to celebrate her 100% recovery from Covid and her 70th birthday. We will be there the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which I know means crowds will be high. I want to set my expectations on the lower side as this will be our first time traveling in a year.

Since Covid...

Whats MK like without FP?
What can we realistically accomplish if we arrive at 11am and stay all day?
Whats the magic express like?
Buses to MK from Saratoga?
Disney Springs?
Any tips or things you wish you knew, brought with you on your trips this year?
DS is usually less busy in the late morning/early afternoon. So, if you are trying to avoid crowds, the earlier you go the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter