What's FW All About?

smpeary

Earning My Ears
Just moved to Orlando a few months ago and am trying to get all of the info I can on places to take my daughter. The Disney parks are very pricey so we try to do other than park stuff. Have read numerous articles on Fort Wilderness. First of all, prices of their cabins seem high, any discounts ever offered? Secondly, someone said you can go there even when you are not a registered guest and partake in the campfire and movies. Is this true? Can anyone just walk around the area?

I've gone to FW before and not be registered. All you have to do is park in the parking lot and take any of the busses to the settlement and there is a petting zoo and other things to do or rent there. I've heard of other people going to the campfire and not being registered.

I don't think Disney would have a problem with anyone who wanted to check out FW and have a look around and even stay for the show and movie. We have gone to most of the resorts on property to check them out and see if we might like to stay there sometime. However, I am sure they would not like people using FW as a public park and coming in often with no intention of ever staying there. Having said all that while they may not like it, with the way FW is set up, there is not much they can do about it.

We stayed at WL last August and visited with some friends staying in an FW cabin and went to the campfire and movie. We have also stayed at WL in the past and rented bikes and bike rode through the whole FW campground.

Of course, we were staying on WDW grounds and at the neighboring WL. They do occasionally run specials (especially FL Resident specials) on the cabins. Because of our last visit with our friends we are staying in the cabins next week and meeting family there and the same friends we visited last August.

It's tough to visit FW without wanting to stay there on a future visit!:p

Now you live in the great state of Florida, be sure to ask for the Florida resident discount! Makes a big difference and I think other parks and tourist attractions also offer resident discounts.

Now that you are eligible for the Florida resident discount I would look into the annual pass & watch your local newpapers!! They always have specials for the local residents. I suggest you take advantage of them. While WDW is a little pricey, to me it is well worth it. You can do so much for what you pay. I just suggest you be sure to give yourself a FULL day to get your money's worth. If I'm not mistaken the more days in a row your park hopper's passes are for the cheaper they get in the long run. Watch the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper. They are always running ads & specials. I have seen specials for residents on the AP several times & my mother, who also lives in Orlando, is always mentioning them to me over the phone!

Have fun living next door to the mouse!!!

:wave:

The campfire and movie are for WDW resort guests. Having said that, I don't think they check for resort IDs.

I personally don't think it is right to go to the campfire/movie or make use of the resort pool, etc. unless you are a resort guest or visiting someone who is; however, I've seen many differing opinions to this on these boards. Even paying for and attending the Hoop-de-do Review does not entitle you to campfire/movie/pool. These amenities are why we pay so much more to camp at WDW vs. any off-site facility.

I would think as a FL resident, there are many discounts and programs which you could avail yourself of to make WDW more reasonable in price without resorting to any questionable behaviors.

I have to agree with *Trapped Parent. It's just not right sneaking in without paying your dues....which is really what it amounts to.

If you like to do swimming activities try Wet N' Wild. That was one place we always loved to go to when the kids were growing up. We still like it! But it can really get crowded on some days.

Also Orlando has more miniature golf places than anywhere else on the planet I think! Those are fun. Then there is Sea World also. Another favorite. Go down the road to Kissimmee & you find more fun places to go to. Gatorland, Midievil Knights (I think thats the name) & lots more. I doubt you will be hurting for things to do in that area. Not to mention the things there are to do within a few hours drive.

Also if you happen to be looking for employment FW is hiring according to the workamper website! I've been told by folks that work at WDW that the perks are great!

*I was going to refer to Trapped Parent as TP but then I started thinking "toilet paper" :rolleyes:

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter