• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's Cookin'? - A Recipe Share Thread

Easy Wonton Soup

Also, wontons can be fried and eaten as an appetizer.
If there is wonton filing left, it is awesome in fried rice!
Enjoy!

Oh thanks Minnie Garden! I am making your won ton soup today! My kids LOVE pan friend won tons (in a little oil) with bottled General Tso sauce (I use Iron Chef brand with a dash of added chili flakes) Sooooooo good; can even throw onto a green salad or sauteed bok choy for light lunch or side dish!

OK some fusion for you with the left over won ton wrappers - Quick Polish Periogies!
Take stiff mashed potatoes add sauteed onions and cheddar cheese if you wish - keep it dry you dont want want you filling wet or comes through wrappers! put heaping teaspoon of the potatoe filling into wrapper, dampen edges of wrapper with water on your thumb (get a little bowl makes it easier for production) and seal with fingers. Pan fry in a little oil/butter mixture to a golden brown - ala quick perogies! Sometimes even using up leftovers!!) My polish babcha (grandmom) still wondering how I get my dough so crisp - its the wrappers!

Enchiladas (pork or chicken)

4-5 boneless pork loin chops
1 bottle of your favorite salsa (I use Taco bell Mild sauce or Pace Medium chunky bc my mom does not like hot food)
1 Tablespoon of chipotle in adobo sauce (I put the whole can, peppers & sauce, in the blender then store it in a tupperware in the fridge for future use. You can get several meals out of one can.)
Enough chicken stock to cover the meat (I use about 3/4 to a whole quart box)
2 tablespoons of half & half
12 - 6-8inch flour tortillas
16 ounces of your favorite shredded mexican cheese, split in two 8oz portions, we use a mexican blend form costco
1 tablespoon of butter

Mix all ingredients in a medium sized pot then add the chicken or pork, cover and simmer on a low to medium low setting, you want it just bubbling but not a full boil. If you use chicken cook it until the chicken is done and then remove chicken. If using the pork, cook until the top layer of fat is gone from the pork chop and the meat is fork tender. Usually when I make it with pork this takes about 2 hours. Continue cooking the sauce until it's a thickness you like. Once thick, add in the half & half to give it a smooth mouth feel.

Shred the meat and spoon in enough of the sauce to make the meat moist. Butter the tortillas lightly and heat in a damp towel in the microwave, about 2 minutes, until they are pliable. Fill the tortillas with a heaping spoonful of the meat mixture and a sprinkle of cheese then roll the tortillas until all the meat filling is gone. Spoon the sauce over the tortillas until it's as wet as you'd like then top with the remaining 8oz cheese and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 325, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

I like to serve this with a salad or even spanish rice.

c42aa188.jpg

Cabin Fever Soup

2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (or 1 small can chicken)
2 cups cooked rice
2 large cans minestrone soup (I used 2 14-ounce cans)
1 can (10 ounces) Ro-Tel tomatoes
2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium jar Cheez Whiz (I used 15 ounces)
2 cups water
Salt and pepper, to taste

•Mix together all ingredients and simmer until hot. Serve with tortilla chips.

A friend recently posted a link to a budget-friendly cooking blog. Tonight I made the Spinach Lasagne Roll-Ups and they are delicious!

Spinach Lasagne Roll-Ups from http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

Total Recipe cost: $8.01
Servings Per Recipe: 7 (two rolls each)
Cost per serving: $1.14
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 45 min. Total: 1 hr.

INGREDIENTS COST
1 lb. lasagna noodles $1.69
15 oz. ricotta $2.09
1 cup shredded mozzarella $1.18
1/4 cup grated parmesan $0.24
1 lg. egg $0.16
10 oz. frozen spinach $1.09
2.5 cups marinara sauce $1.09
to taste salt and pepper $0.05
as needed non-stick spray $0.05
TOTAL $8.01

STEP 1: Get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (soft but not soggy... about 12-15 minutes). When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.

STEP 2: While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. Thaw the package of frozen spinach in the microwave and then squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, freshly grated pepper and about 1/4 tsp of salt. Mix until well combined.

STEP 3: When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.

STEP 4: On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time. Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge. The filling does not need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded. Make sure to spread it all the way to the edges of the noodles.

STEP 5: Roll the noodles up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all of your filling is gone (there may be some noodles left over, these are "back ups" in case any of the others rip during assembly). Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces. The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.

STEP 6: Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate.

This was in last week's Stop & Shop sale paper and I made and it was super yummy !!!

Southwest Chicken Stew

Ingredients:

• 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken
• 1 Tbsp canola oil
• 2 cups chopped onions
• 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 3 cups cubed potatoes
• 14.5 oz can fat-free chicken broth
• 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
• 15 oz can yellow kernel corn, drained
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Makes 8, 12 ounce servings

Steps:

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Heat oil in a Dutch oven and brown chicken over medium-high heat. Add onions, green pepper and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add chili powder, oregano, potatoes and chicken broth. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add tomatoes, corn and cilantro. Cover and cook 10 minutes until heated through.

Having a dinner party for 3 other couples next weekend - One doesn't eat fish, I dont eat red meat but everyone else does. I want something easy I can do ahead pretty much and enjoy the cocktail hour - Sooo thinking about Giada's Short Ribs with Orchecciette pasta (I've made it before and everyone loved it, I did put the sauce on the pasta) - what do you think or suggest?

OK dinner was moved due to WEATHER, (insert scream here)! Decided to make:

Pappardelle with Tomato and Stewed Pancetta - Serves 4
1 lb pappardelle (I used fresh but dried will do)
5 oz chucnked pancetta about 1 cup
Can GOOD quality (San Marzano or Muir Glen) Tomatoes chopped and drained
Dash or two of chili flakes
1/3 cup grated Parm cheese (I used shaved what I had parm/asiago/romano ..what I had)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Boil water for pasta - Melt butter into large skillet and pancetta and stew until golden, don't burn butter- add tomatoes to pan and salt cook 6-7 minutes stir often, drain pasta when done reserving 1 cup cooking water - stir cream into sauce 1-2 minutes, add pasta and 1/2 water folding to combine adding more water so sauce coats noodles nicely. Add cheese. I'm serving with Grill pan chicken fanned over top with flat leaf parsley. Serve with remaining cheese.

For Valentine's Day we're eating at home and doing one of my favorite Indian dishes - Channa Masala! It's yummy and vegetarian too!

Good-quality olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garam masala
3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1 Tbs cilantro leaves, roughly torn, plus more for garnish
A pinch of cayenne, or to taste
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6-8 Tbs plain whole-milk yogurt, optional
A few lemon wedges, optional

Film the bottom of a large saucepan or Dutch oven—preferably not nonstick—with olive oil, and place the pan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until it is deeply caramelized and even charred in some spots. Be patient. The more color, the more full-flavored the final dish will be.

Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic, stirring, and add a bit more oil if the pan seems dry. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, ginger, garam masala, and cardamom pods, and fry them, stirring constantly, until fragrant and toasty, about 30 seconds. Add ¼ cup water, and stir to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the water has evaporated away completely. Pour in the juice from can of tomatoes, followed by the tomatoes themselves, using your hands to break them apart as you add them; alternatively, add them whole and crush them in the pot with a potato masher. Add the salt.

Raise the heat to medium, and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the cilantro and cayenne, and simmer the sauce gently, stirring occasionally, until it reduces a bit and begins to thicken. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Add the chickpeas, stirring well, and cook over low heat for about five minutes. Add 2 Tbs water, and cook for another five minutes. Add another 2 Tbs water, and cook until the water is absorbed, a few minutes more. This process of adding and cooking off water helps to concentrate the sauce’s flavor and makes the chickpeas more tender and toothsome. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.

Stir in the yogurt, if you like, or garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro. Serve.

Yield: About four servings

I just got this recipe from a friend last week. Made it for my family, everyone loved it.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

1 pound cubed beef stew meat
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sherry
1 can of mushrooms
4 ounces cream cheese, softened

cooked egg noodles

Directions
1 In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion,
Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, and sherry.
2 Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for
about 5 hours.
3 Stir in cream cheese just before serving. Serve over egg noodles

I did use more meat, because I have 2 teenage boys. I used 1 1/2 lbs of meat, left all other ingredients the same and it was still enough sauce for that amount of meat. Next time I am going to use 2 lbs of meat though because 1 1/2 wasn't enough either.

I just got this recipe from a friend last week. Made it for my family, everyone loved it.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

1 pound cubed beef stew meat
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sherry
1 can of mushrooms
4 ounces cream cheese, softened

cooked egg noodles

Directions
1 In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion,
Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, and sherry.
2 Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for
about 5 hours.
3 Stir in cream cheese just before serving. Serve over egg noodles

I did use more meat, because I have 2 teenage boys. I used 1 1/2 lbs of meat, left all other ingredients the same and it was still enough sauce for that amount of meat. Next time I am going to use 2 lbs of meat though because 1 1/2 wasn't enough either.

Yum!!! I am going to try this!!!

Healthy Baked "Fried" Chicken

Chicken breasts
Cornflake cereal, crushed
Margarine or butter
Sour cream
Paprika
Salt
Black pepper
Onion powder

Heat oven to 350. Clean, pat dry, and pound chicken breasts until thin. Season chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder (or chopped onions), and paprika. Coat chicken liberally with sour cream. I used the fat free variety, but any kind will work. Crush cornflake cereal in a bowl (I used Special K) and dip chicken in cereal to coat. Cover the opposite side with sour cream and repeat. Place in a greased baking pan and drizzle melted margarine or butter on top. I used fat free butter spray. Cook for one hour or until juices run clear.

FYI, your house will smell wonderful while this is baking!! :)

I make a similar dish using Panko (found in the Asian food aisle) breading instead of the cereal and a mixture of mayonnaise and Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix in place of the sour cream. The Panko stays unbelievably crispy. Delicious!

Hey what happened? No posts in awhile, LOL!!)

Looking for REALLY good (no red meat) recipes that are low salt - trying to bring down hubby's BP before I tell him we are going back to Disney....again!

Looking for REALLY good (no red meat) recipes that are low salt - trying to bring down hubby's BP before I tell him we are going back to Disney....again!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I love the Mrs. Dash lemon seasoning especially on spinach sauteed in chopped garlic. :)

We have been making Aarti's (from Foodnetwork) massaged Kale Salad for the past 2 weeks. You can maybe do salt to taste or maybe try a salt-subsitute in the recipe and use saltless nuts or skip the nuts or seeds (we had no nuts/seeds when we did it the first time). It pairs well with skinless, boneless chicken.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/massaged-kale-salad-recipe/index.html

• 1 bunch kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
  • Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons
Directions

In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

Subscribing! I'm reading this on my iPhone right now but want to post some of my favorites when I get home!

:) Tonight, We had frozen pizza (California Pizza Kitchen Chicken Ranch).

We are planning to cook Turkey Breast on Sunday with most likely asparagus, garlic potatoes, and carrots. (some good fresh fruit and vegetable deals this weekend and we got the turkay at $1.19 a pound so we have Easter covered with a second one).

We are having Massaged Kale salad this week with sunflower seed kernels.
We might used the leftover turkey or ground turkey or chicken with Poblano peppers (looking at recipes still). Ground turkey usually end up as tacos...but, maybe it will be burgers this week.

I'm thinking of doing a lighter version of General Tso chicken with rice and broccoli/carrots.

:woohoo: We restocked our spice cabinet today. We hope to find a good source for Indian cooking...garam masala is on my wish list (need a better store for spices).

Chat night might be take out food. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter