• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's coming to Africa in EPCOT?

Chrissy-Mickey

DIS Veteran
Behind the Refreshment Outpost in Africa after the bridge from China an area was cleared according to Google Maps at the same time they were working on Ratatouille. You can still see the cleared area on Google maps now. Any rumors on what they have planned for that area? I was reminded of it this week when we walked by and saw bright lights coming from that direction.

Alright, a staging area; seems like a waste of space.

:thanks:

I'll be stubborn and skeptical, with a lookout for something interesting for Africa 5+ years from now.

I think that originally was supposed to be the area where the HarmoniUS barges were to be stored after performances, like Illuminations . However, for cost reasons, they abandoned building the area and changed the barges to stay in the lake instead of removing them.

I think that originally was supposed to be the area where the HarmoniUS barges were to be stored after performances, like Illuminations . However, for cost reasons, they abandoned building the area and changed the barges to stay in the lake instead of removing them.
I don't think they planned on storing them backstage. The plan all along was to keep as much as they could in the lagoon so that they didn't have to raise the bridge as offten during the day when guests were in the park.

That area was where they built the HarmonioUS barges. Bioreconstruct posted multiple aerial photos of their progress to his Twitter account that were then shared here in the now-closed Aerial Images thread. I believe they were always intended to be permanently anchored in the lagoon.

Aren't the barges supposed to be used as fountains during the day? If memory serves, there was a daytime use outlined some time ago, which would justify keeping them in the lagoon.

Aren't the barges supposed to be used as fountains during the day? If memory serves, there was a daytime use outlined some time ago, which would justify keeping them in the lagoon.
True. I just don't know if there is a beautiful way to utilize the fountains. Some of the testing video I saw made the water disburse in such a large volume over such a large space that it looked like a big blob of water rather than a fountain.

I haven't seen the "fountain" in a while. Lately, they've been displaying a water image and the fiftieth logo.

True. I just don't know if there is a beautiful way to utilize the fountains. Some of the testing video I saw made the water disburse in such a large volume over such a large space that it looked like a big blob of water rather than a fountain.
I wonder if we saw the same thing or different variances. The testing I saw seemed like way too little water; the streams of it over the big black things didn't really make the big black things look any better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter