Whatever happened to cheap fast food items?

But I think the future of fast food restaurants will change and they will open restaurants in grocery stores similar to what airports have and what McDonald's and Subway have done with Walmart and drive-thru restaurants will be a thing of the past for fast food restaurants

it's odd-we are seeing the opposite here. we have 6 walmarts in our region. a few had subways located in them and a few had mcdonalds. over the past 2 or 3 years all of the stores have undergone renovations and i think only 2 have have these food places anymore. the space they inhabited was redesigned as either more walmart retail space OR-we have one with a nail salon and aother with a miniturized version of 'claires' (or as we call it 'little girl land' :rotfl: ). we are seeing MORE new stand alone fast food and diner type places being built inside the walmart parking lots (i think the walmarts that are located in places that now have city wide bans on overnight parking have figured out that they can create new revenue streams from their previously designated rv overnight parking areas in their lots).

Thank you for posting this. I did not want to initiate the argument when I posted yesterday but if you go back and actually read the fair wage act, it states exactly what was intended. The purpose of the minimum wage at that time was for a grown man to be able to work full time and support his family (in particular to be able to support his family without having to send his kids to work in the sweatshops for a fraction of what they would pay an adult), not just at the subsistence level but to support them well. It does not state anything about beginner jobs, college students, or anything else that people claim the minimum wage was intended for.

The dollar menu items still exist, they just don't cost a dollar (mcdoubles, mcchickens, small fries, etc.).
I can get a large fry from McDonald's for $1.19 on the app, once a day, every day (no, I don't do that lol). Yes, just over a dollar, but not much.

Edit: and I can get a 10 piece nugget for 2.50, and large drinks regularly cost 1.39. So a meal for right around $5. And they have BOGO free breakfast sandwiches every day.

I had a stressful meeting today and really wanted McDonald's for lunch. I got a quarter pounder and a med fry for only $3.29. I thought that was pretty good.

I can get a large fry from McDonald's for $1.19 on the app, once a day, every day (no, I don't do that lol). Yes, just over a dollar, but not much.

Edit: and I can get a 10 piece nugget for 2.50, and large drinks regularly cost 1.39. So a meal for right around $5. And they have BOGO free breakfast sandwiches every day.
They have too many BOGO deals for me. I'm usually just looking to get food for myself and I don't need two of anything. I also only have a deal for a $5 20 piece nugget, nothing for a 10. I don't need 20 nuggets myself.

I am so old that I remember a local McDonald's that ran some kind of promo for quite a while where on a certain day of the week, burgers were somewhere around .25.... I don't remember all the details, because it was back in the 90's. I miss those days.

A timely article in the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/business/hospitality/california-minimum-wage-workers-prices-c3aef6b4

Burritos and Big Macs to Cost More in California as Pay Rises
Minimum wage for fast-food workers jumps to $20 an hour in April, chains plan to increase prices

By Heather Haddon
Feb. 4, 2024 - 9:00 am EST

California restaurants are some of the most expensive places to eat out in the country—and they are about to get pricier.

Minimum wage for California fast-food workers is set to rise to $20 an hour in April, a 25% increase from the state’s broader $16 minimum wage. Restaurants including McDonald’s, Chipotle, Jack in the Box and others say they will raise menu prices in California in response, with some McDonald’s franchisees estimating hundreds of thousands of dollars per restaurant in added labor costs.

“Everyone is going to have to pay more,” said Jack Hartung, chief financial officer of California-based Chipotle Mexican Grill. Chipotle has raised its menu prices four times in the past two years and expects to increase them a further 5% to 9% in its California restaurants to cover the higher pay required for workers.

California for decades has been a fast-food stronghold, with more people working in restaurants and bars than in any other state, according to the Labor Department. It is the birthplace of McDonald’s, In-N-Out Burger and other chains, and fast-food and other takeaway restaurants employ about 761,900 people in the state, according to California’s employment department.

In 2022, California passed a law instituting new oversight of the fast-food industry through state-appointed councils that could have raised sector pay to as much as $22 an hour. The restaurant industry dedicated tens of millions of dollars to invalidating the law before industry members, union representatives and the governor’s office last year negotiated a compromise.

That deal set the new $20 minimum wage, and put a cap on annual increases beginning in 2025. Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom said the law would improve wages and working conditions for hundreds of thousands of fast-food employees in the state.

Restaurant owners since then have been calculating the cost. The National Owners Association, a group of McDonald’s franchisees, estimated it will cost Golden Arches operators an additional $250,000 annually per restaurant, an amount that can’t readily be absorbed, according to an email from the group last September.

McDonald’s Chief Executive Chris Kempczinski said during an October earnings call that prices would go up at California restaurants as a result, but the company hadn’t determined by how much. McDonald’s said it is working with franchisees to help offset some of the added costs.

About 43% of Jack in the Box’s 2,200 restaurants are located in California, while nearly one-fifth of Starbucks’s U.S. cafes are located in the state, according to industry research firm Technomic. Chipotle, Shake Shack, KFC and Taco Bell also have at least 11% of their U.S. restaurants in California, Technomic said.

“There’s certain areas in California which are going to have to go up a lot,” Shake Shack financial chief Katherine Fogertey said about menu prices at an investor conference in November.

For every dollar in hourly wage increases, a restaurant needs to increase prices by 2% to make up for the additional cost, industry consulting firm Revenue Management Solutions said. Jack in the Box told investors in November that its prices will rise 6% to 8% companywide this year, primarily to cover increased wages and other costs in California.

Some California consumers said they supported the idea of workers earning more—given the state’s high cost of living—but wished they didn’t have to pay more to dine out. California restaurants already have some of the highest fast-food prices in the country, according to Revenue Management Solutions.

“People are going to be able to eat out less and less. We are going to be eating at 99-cent stores,” said Schirete Zick, a writer from Los Angeles who lives alone and prefers restaurants over filling her fridge with food that might spoil.

Economists have long debated whether minimum-wage increases help or hurt businesses, along with their impact on employment. A 2021 study by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office found that raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour could lift hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty but could also cause prices to rise, slow overall economic output and cost 1.4 million Americans their jobs.

Few states or municipal areas have raised the minimum wage for workers to the degree that California is poised to do for fast-food employees. Localities typically increase minimum wages by 12% to 15% a year, according to the Economic Policy Institute, which studies wage increases.

Fast-food prices already have been running high nationwide, and consumers are increasingly fatigued by the higher costs, leading to fewer restaurant visits or smaller orders, industry data shows.

“I am expecting to step on an escalator of ever-rising prices,” said Andrew Strenk, a real-estate adviser from Tustin, Calif. He said he would likely eat out less often and hopes his health will improve as a result.

Besides raising prices, restaurants are striving to cut costs. Some chains, including Burger King and Denny’s, said they hope that automating certain restaurant tasks can help their franchise owners avoid raising prices at California locations.

Burger King aims to install more digital-ordering kiosks in its U.S. restaurants, with California now a focus, said Josh Kobza, chief executive of parent company Restaurant Brands International, in an interview.

Aaron Noveshen, founder of San Francisco-based chicken chain Starbird, said he wants to recruit franchisees to open new locations outside of California, given escalating wage, building and other costs.

“I do love it here, but there are a lot of forces that make it difficult to do business in California,” Noveshen said.

How much do franchise owners make, I wonder?

ETA: Or corporate folk, for that matter.

The restaurants have increased the price of items but in order to "get a deal" you need to use the app. Wiht the app you get free stuff all the time and you accrue points for other free things. For instance Mcdonalds offers free any size fries with a $2 purchase. I get a cheeseburger and medium fries for like $2.30. So the chains have found a way to charge more for people who are just willing to pay whatever and also leave the door for people looking for a bargain. Having said that, free fast food is probably not a good thing anyway, we are all probably better off to stay away. Except McDonalds offers 0.99 coffee with the app which is not that much more than making it at home with a K cup.

Another timely article.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/06/business/mcdonalds-prices/index.html

McDonald’s pushed customers to the brink on price. They’re starting to push back
By Allison Morrow, CNN
Updated 5:05 PM EST, Tue February 6, 2024

New York CNN —

Corporate America may be bumping up against the limit of its power to keep raising prices as consumers in some markets cry uncle.

At McDonald’s, which has repeatedly boasted about its ability to raise menu prices without denting sales, executives are finally acknowledging that customers need a break.

On Monday, as the burger chain reported weaker-than-expected sales at its US stores, CEO Chris Kempczinski addressed McDonald’s “affordability” problem, and indicated the chain would cut prices on some menu items.

“Eating at home has become more affordable,” Kempczinski said.

He’s right: Grocery prices are still high, but they rose just 1.3% overall in 2023, while dining out surged 5.2%, according to the latest Consumer Price Index report.

That’s putting pressure on lower-income consumers, a vital base for the chain.

“We actually saw that cohort” — customers making $45,000 or less — “decrease in the most recent quarter,” he added.

Kempczinski didn’t offer details on the timing or size of any price cuts. But his focus on affordability marked a shift from just a few months ago, when he boasted that US menu prices, which went up as much as 10% in 2023 alone, weren’t deterring sales.

“Even though we’re pushing through pricing, the consumer is tolerating it well,” he said in October analyst call.

In a statement to CNN, McDonald’s declined to comment on specific price cuts but reiterated its commitment to providing affordable options to consumers.

While inflation has slowed significantly, prices for everyday necessities remain high, and people are getting fed up. McDonald’s has become a regular target for social media users complaining about prices. Viral stories lamenting the cost of a Big Mac meal — particularly the $18 ones at a widely maligned Darien, Connecticut, location off I-95 — have become a TikTok genre unto themselves.

At the core of those widely shared sticker-shock moments is a genuine angst over the cost of basic needs like food — especially food that’s meant to be affordable.

On TikTok, it’s a common refrain for McDonald’s customers to say the company has gone too far, charging more than $3 for a single hash brown in some locations.

“Who told y’all y’all was that good to be charging that much for your food?” quips one user in a TikTok video titled “McDonald’s has gotten too cocky.”

Other popular videos call out the audacity of a medium French fry costing roughly as much as a Filet-o-Fish.

Because most McDonald’s restaurants in the United States are independently owned, prices vary depending on where you are. (So if you find yourself pulling off the highway for a quick bite at a travel center in Darien, one of the richest towns in America, you can reasonably expect your meal to cost significantly more than you would at a suburban drive-thru outside of Des Moines.)

Still, up until recently, McDonald’s found most customers were still willing to pay. And even now, wealthier customers appear undeterred, Kempczinski said Monday.

For middle- and high-income groups, “we’re not seeing any real change in behavior,” he said. “We continue to gain share with those groups. But the battle ground is certainly with that low-income consumer.”

In other words, it may be time to bring back the Dollar Menu. Kempczinski said McDonald’s would double down on its “D123” strategy, which prices some items between $1 and $3.

Interesting. I just checked the app and I can get free any size fries 1x a day with a $2 minimum purchase. Wonder if the deals are different in different places.

I am old enough and close enough to its location to remember the original Ray Kroc owned McD's and its menu from the early 50's. Quite limited in choices, but cheap, even in it's day.

View attachment 830644
I love that Dan! What really gets me are the milkshakes. Those have gotten so crazy expensive and usually given out in small cups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter