Whatever happened to cheap fast food items?

These are my current McDs app specials. I don't eat from here but my kids will occasionally ask. My thing is usually a Wendy's Dave's triple (no toppings or bun) but that's close to $9 so it's an I have no other choice option.
View attachment 830203View attachment 830204

Our app specials in most of the San Francisco Bay Area are very limited. I remember one where it was almost every sandwich on the menu for $1, but once a day. Then once a week. Then $2 once a week. Then gone. Obviously they weren’t making money. I can be on the road and the deals change. I remember when there were tie ins to local sports teams, and those change. Visiting Seattle once I saw BOGO Happy Meals.

But we still have some app deals that require a $1 or $2 minimum purchase. Getting that isn’t as easy these days. No more $1 coffee or soft drink, and the two locations closest to my home have a city soda tax and cup fee.

I did go to BK to try to get the free item for a $1 minimum spend. They do have cookies, but I had to wait for them in the morn8ng.

Last edited:
Fast food has never agreed with me so I am out of the loop on that entirely, but I'd imagine that the pricing has to be somewhat impacted by the sharp increase in raw food costs, just like at the grocery store.

Husband and I visited a very large specialty food market that's more than an hour away from our home this past weekend. We last visited just after Christmas and on that trip we purchased quite a bit because we found some significant deals. This past weekend we had several items planned to buy and ended up walking out with none of them. The price increases in the four-week timespan was eyepopping. The only explanation we could come up with for such incredible hike was perhaps they had lagged on raising prices for X amount of time for whatever reason and suddenly couldn't hold the line anymore and had to face a very harsh spike?

Around here the prices have gone up (again) due to the new $20/hr fast food minimum wage. I still want to know what makes fast food more deserving than say the checker at Kohl’s who is only getting $16/hr.
If this is California, that doesn’t come into effect until April 1. So any price rises due to increasing the wage would be voluntary from McDonald’s- either there’s higher demand for labor than $16 (or whatever) can provide, or they’re trying to get some extra profits while blaming the upcoming higher labor costs.

California is trying something interesting with this, since it only applies to national chains. Some Pizza Huts are cutting their delivery staffs. One Fatburger franchise owner is eliminating vacation. (Will that push potential workers away?) Increased prices could drive customers away. (Maybe some will close or consolidate? Do we need a McDonald’s less than a mile away from another?) But the increased wage may attract “better” talent and the fast food experience could improve.

As for why a fast food employee is more deserving than a Kohls checker… You know, there are a lot of things this could apply to. Why does a professional baseball player make more than a paramedic? Why does an insurance broker make more than a teacher? Etc.

Maybe most of us should be making more and those with $1 million + salaries should be making less. CEOs were paid 344 times more than a typical worker in 2022- compared to 21 times more than a typical worker in 1965.

When I get a craving, I get Wendy’s 4 for $4… small cheeseburger, 4 chicken nuggets, small fries and soda. That is, for a number of reasons, actually 2 meals for me. Not something I do often for health reasons but an economical treat nonetheless.
Around here, that deal has changed to be their "$5 Biggie Bag", so it's not $4 anymore.

Doesn’t require a coupon. They used to have more variety though, including bacon and cheese add ons.

maxresdefault.jpg
You’re right. No coupon required. It’s a limited time offer on the front of my coupon book. You have more variety in the States. Our offer is for a Whopper Jr. or chicken sandwich.

Not sure where disneychrista is, but in NY, the NY city area has different minimum wages than the rest of the state.
But is it a different minimum wage by INDUSTRY? Is McD's offering $20/hour to their workers because the state is making them, or are they doing it because they need to to get job applicants?

Here in California minimum wage for fast food workers is $20/hr. That means a 17 year old on their very first job is working 20 hours a week is earning $400 per week. When there was a Dollar Menu at McDonald's the minimum wage was quite a bit less. It's economics.

In areas where the minimum wage is less McDonald's (and others) can afford less expensive offers.

A little aside: My very first job was at Disneyland. I was working 30hrs/6 days a week and making $65 per week.

I've got many mom and pop type diners around me and I eat at them often. I don't enjoy cooking and cooking for one is difficult as well. I probably eat at the diners around me much more than I do at home. It also lets me be a bit more social as well so that is a bonus too.
If you have mom and pop places and its just one then it makes more sense and its not "fast food".

As for cooking for one - I am basically cooking for one, but yeah its a pain and again why I invested in a vacuum sealer and make several meals at once and freeze them. Of course you have to have the freezer space as well and that is not always an option.

You also have to have the time and enjoy it.

We still have various value menus here, but the options don't appeal as much as the regular menu offerings and our favorite fast food doesn't offer any kind of value menu. We used to eat it more often, but prices really have skyrocketed. Not too long ago, I felt like I could get out spending around $38-40, but now it's closer to $55. For those prices, we can get a meal at one of our local Mexican restaurants. Sure, it's a bit more when you factor in tip, but I feel like it balances out in the end if you have enough chips and salsa.

Here in California minimum wage for fast food workers is $20/hr. That means a 17 year old on their very first job is working 20 hours a week is earning $400 per week. When there was a Dollar Menu at McDonald's the minimum wage was quite a bit less. It's economics.

In areas where the minimum wage is less McDonald's (and others) can afford less expensive offers.

A little aside: My very first job was at Disneyland. I was working 30hrs/6 days a week and making $65 per week.
Starting April 1. https://abcnews.go.com/Business/fas...tember, California Gov.,stands at $16 an hour.

But if people are only willing to pay 15 or 20 cents per widget, that's all you can sell it for. Doesn't matter what it costs to make.
That's when the widget makers leave the market. Eventually shortages occur, people who want widgets become willing to pay more, widget makers re-enter the market. Basic supply and demand.

That's when the widget makers leave the market. Eventually shortages occur, people who want widgets become willing to pay more, widget makers re-enter the market. Basic supply and demand.
Agree. But competition also factors in. Maybe company B finds another way to reduce costs, and CAN sell the widgets at 20 cents each.

When it gets to the consumer, the manufacturering cost doesn't really matter. What matters is what they're willing to pay for it.

You’re right. No coupon required. It’s a limited time offer on the front of my coupon book. You have more variety in the States. Our offer is for a Whopper Jr. or chicken sandwich.

It's getting pretty crazy around here. There was a time when it was two regular Whoppers for $5 or maybe the Original Chicken Sandwich. My favorite was when BK around here had a $4 special for two Whopper Jr, two small fries, and two small drinks. I'd go there with the kid and we'd have a fun time cheap. But obviously they were losing money on those deals or at least were barely making anything.

BK still has physical coupons too, where sometimes they're better than what the app has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter