What would you reply when you tell someone your going on a Disney cruise and they reply saying ...

I think what people on these boards have a hard time realizing is that a lot of people just dont like Disney. So its doesnt bother me. I get it. Disney has kind of a cult following especially on these boards, but Im not offended at all if people find it too childish. Disney is for kids and some of us adults like that....some dont. No big deal.

I think what people on these boards have a hard time realizing is that a lot of people just dont like Disney. So its doesnt bother me. I get it. Disney has kind of a cult following especially on these boards, but Im not offended at all if people find it too childish. Disney is for kids and some of us adults like that....some dont. No big deal.

Thats fair - plenty of stuff I don't like either. I just don't insult people I barely know for liking things - especially so pointedly as saying '5' vs. 'isn't that for kids?' My response would be way different and friendlier. :)

Thats fair - plenty of stuff I don't like either. I just don't insult people I barely know for liking things - especially so pointedly as saying '5' vs. 'isn't that for kids?' My response would be way different and friendlier. :)
Is that really an insult? If thats an insult than people on these boards really have thin skin. I would find that funny, but it takes a lot to offend me...and I mean a lot. Im confident enough not to give a crap what others think. I can also dish it out as well as I can take it.

When I'm asked I now start with - "Disney is really expensive, but we like it" (some people are "impressed" with that :confused3 )and then if people are really interested, I will talk to them about how our experiences on DCL blows away the other cruise lines we've been on.

And if people come up and ask me if they should take a DCL cruise, I've actually started trying to "talk them out of it" - there are already too many people that want to go on DCL cruises :smooth:. But seriously, I do explain all of the reasons why I love cruising with the Mouse, and try not to over sell it. I've seen it here over the years, new to DCL cruisers have "expectation inflation" because of all of the combined pixie dust people have experienced over the years - lots of "extra" special things that do NOT happen all of the time and NOT to everyone.

and getting the questions about "why cruise" in general - I lead with, Unpack ONCE, visit 3-8 cities (depending upon itinerary)

Is that really an insult? If thats an insult than people on these boards really have thin skin. I would find that funny, but it takes a lot to offend me...and I mean a lot. Im confident enough not to give a crap what others think. I can also dish it out as well as I can take it.

I'm a younger woman in a tech field so I get enough microinvalidations as it is without a boss, who should be an advocate, saying something insulting as in this woman's case. Calling an insubordinate 5 in a work setting (regardless of the topic)? Sounds like an HR grievance if its a pattern frankly... :rolleyes1 But, as I said, I'd just toss it back at the boss with the above personally.

I think it's at least a bit condescending. It sort of implies immaturity and childish judgment.

My wife and I are in our 70's and have been on seven DCL cruises, three without children/grandchildren. We just finished 18 nights on the Magic, Med/Trans B2B by ourselves, and loved every minute. At dinner we sit with other singles or couples near our age or older that are also without kids and grandkids. We buy into our inner Mouse. What impresses me most about DCL is the imagineering that goes into everything they do...split bathrooms, rotational dining, virtual windows in inside staterooms, shows at Animator's Palate, interactive pictures, stage productions, etc. I have climbed on my soapbox many times to explain, gladly, why we cruise with Mickey and friends. It will happen again when I bring up our next DCL cruise to Alaska next spring. Only drawback is that it takes at least a week to get all those Disney tunes out of your head. We keep rebooking anyway.

..... what are u, 5

Lol

"If I'm Lucky, I'll get to feel that way again!"

The first time I went to WDW, I was 5. When I went the next time, I was 16, but I totally remember feeling like I was 5 again. I had teen-aged fun too, but the best part for me was remembering the Wonder I felt when I was 5 and what that was like. I no longer remember that initial trip when I was 5, but I've never forgotten that trip at age 16 and what it felt like to be a worry-free, super-excited kid again. That is priceless to me, and has only become more so.

So when we went on the DCL, OK, maybe I didn't feel five, but it was magical. And my teen-aged sons, who went to WDW when they were about 5 and haven't been back since? You guessed it. They felt the magic. Plus they had good teen-aged fun in the Vibe.

Likewise, I was impressed with my "adult" experiences on the ship too. The Rain-forest room, Satellite falls, enjoying a drink at the Skyline bar and the Cognac tastings in the Meridian bar. Very "grown up," but then I could go sing Disney songs in a lounge, ride the Aqua Duck, or dress up as a Pirate too. No better combination than that.

I think it's at least a bit condescending. It sort of implies immaturity and childish judgment.
i

I'm a younger woman in a tech field so I get enough microinvalidations as it is without a boss, who should be an advocate, saying something insulting as in this woman's case. Calling an insubordinate 5 in a work setting (regardless of the topic)? Sounds like an HR grievance if its a pattern frankly... :rolleyes1 But, as I said, I'd just toss it back at the boss with the above personally.
Wouldnt even be a blib where I work. Sad people cant take a litlke teasing and would have to run crying to hr because their feelings were hurt. Whats the world coming too. Its just a cruise people. I would never raise my kids to get upset over stupid stuff like this.i guess thats why colleges have safe places now.

Last edited:
We get this all the time, but I think most people are expecting we are doing Disney anyway. We did a cruise without the kids a couple years ago and people didn't understand. The customer service is second to none and we loved the adult only areas. The cruises are really the only vacation we have ever taken that we get adult time and the kids get their own time. In fact the kids have so much fun we force them to eat dinner with us. We tell we need pictures to prove we actually came together. :tongue:

I would probably go with "Only in spirit" and move on.

My husband had an awesome Mario sweatshirt that was of Tanooki mario and had the little fox ears on the hood. Some old lady started going on about how childish it was and how he should be ashamed asking why he would wear something like that.

I really wish I had been there to say "I wear things like this to remind me that although I can't help growing older I can remember not to so jaded and cranky."

True. I have several co-workers who are adament about never touching foot into any Disney park, and they have small children. One did say he thinks they are a cult-minded corporation :confused3 Hey, it's their choice and their missed opportunity ;)

I have come to the conclusion that you either love Disney or you don't. I don't think there is a somewhere in the middle. Working on taking my granddaughter on her first Disney cruise. Plans are just starting for this. I told her when she turned 5 we would go on the "Mickey" boat. She is now 7. However, in my defense, I did take her to Disneyworld instead for her 5th birthday, and was very Blessed to be there for her first Disney Park's adventure. So as RedSox68 said, its their missed opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter