• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you like to see in the new era?

I understand there’s no studio ATM. I’d love a temporary non video Tuesday podcast. Even if it’s just over zoom. Something to keep the steam going for the team. There’s so much new stuff coming to be covered in the next few months! I’d rather have the Dis teams opinions and perspectives than listening to another podcast.

I honestly enjoy the interactive part.
Me too. I wouldn’t do it otherwise. But my personal enjoyment of chatting with the same 50 people, well….I’ll just quote (paraphrase) Bogey:
I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of fifty little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday we'll all understand that.

I understand there’s no studio ATM. I’d love a temporary non video Tuesday podcast. Even if it’s just over zoom. Something to keep the steam going for the team. There’s so much new stuff coming to be covered in the next few months! I’d rather have the Dis teams opinions and perspectives than listening to another podcast.
Adding on to your post, the one thing I enjoy watching is construction updates on new attractions. Since very few Disney vloggers do it, would love the Dis to add it occasionally

Include a diversity of panelists that include all the various Disney-going audiences (international, parents of younger kids, planners for large families, PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIVE IN ORLANDO AND GO TO THE PARKS THREE TIMES A WEEK, DVC members, budget-conscious travelers, etc)

That's great. Shoot me a message with the name or a link.

One thing the DIS could do is create a rotating panel of non-locals. Have them contribute what they're dealing with as they plan their trips and follow through once they've taken them.
So much this! Would help to keep enthusiasm alive. Maybe bring on a Disney college program participant or two (or own that’s been fairly recent) to talk about how to apply, what the experience is REALLY like, expectations for parents (to keep THEM in check lol). Seems the team has really lost enthusiasm for going to parks and everything was negative -of course with backstory that contributes to atmosphere maybe understandable.

There’s also almost NO discussion of going with older kids or teens.

Love the idea of rotating through the various parts of the boards : camping, offsite, greater Orlando, just the resorts etc.
ng. That is why the oversight of new direct flights to MCO made me cringe.
And there’s almost NO discussion of any airport other than MCO. How about Daytona beach? Sanford? What about transportation to/from those places? Renting cars? Sanford is place we fly into most often with our local budget airline. So much easier to navigate than MCO and renting car there is pretty painless too.

One of my fave content creators did a monorail crawl progressive dinner type thing where she asked the CM what the most popular item and what their fave item was on the menu (for the category they were doing at that resort-ie drinks, apps, entree etc). It’s something hubs and I were inspired to do just a couple weeks ago because of this content. Dis shows need some fun content like this too

I will admit that I didn't read all 16 pages, so I apologize if these are redundant:
1. I am a listener, not a viewer, so please don't switch to a video-only format.

2. Back in the day there used to be a lot more "guests" on the podcast. A few examples I remember- a man in a wheelchair who would share accessibility updates, a child of a member who was neurodivergent and shared their experiences in the park, and a college program cast member who blogged on the Disboards about her experience. I'm sure there are many others that I'm forgetting but these additions were what hooked me. This is what made the Dis special- a place where multiple perspectives came together. That clearly has been eliminated in past years as PW made it clear that it was only HIS perspective that mattered. I would love to see this be a focus going forward.

3. Most importantly- I deeply believe that if you and Ryno follow your creative passions and are given the freedom, you will create something incredible. Let it grow, be willing to fail, and don't try to get it all figured out right now. You don't need to wait a few months to determine what that new "thing" will be. I would just start trying and see what happens! I hope you see how many people are here to support your success- whatever that might look like!

I will admit that I didn't read all 16 pages, so I apologize if these are redundant:
1. I am a listener, not a viewer, so please don't switch to a video-only format.
100% this. Same here. I listen only (though I did watch the California show). If you go video-only, you lose people like me.
2. Back in the day there used to be a lot more "guests" on the podcast. A few examples I remember- a man in a wheelchair who would share accessibility updates, a child of a member who was neurodivergent and shared their experiences in the park, and a college program cast member who blogged on the Disboards about her experience. I'm sure there are many others that I'm forgetting but these additions were what hooked me. This is what made the Dis special- a place where multiple perspectives came together.
Great point. Hearing from that CP person was great. Hearing from Ben (Tracey's son) was probably one of the finest shows they've ever done. They've even had people from other shows on. When Panda first appeared on the show, he was not yet with the DIS. And Pete has appeared on other podcasts from time to time. Yes, they are all competition, but they also all know each other and interact on some level. Nothing wrong with a little cross promotion from time to time. I'll come on your show if you come on mine and we both win.
3. Most importantly- I deeply believe that if you and Ryno follow your creative passions and are given the freedom, you will create something incredible. Let it grow, be willing to fail, and don't try to get it all figured out right now. You don't need to wait a few months to determine what that new "thing" will be. I would just start trying and see what happens! I hope you see how many people are here to support your success- whatever that might look like!
Well said. Just do it and see where it leads. The California show, the first since everything occurred, was great. It was real and honest and personal. Keep producing a show on that level and all will be fine.

Out of curiosity, for those who really want a Live Show in the middle of a workday, what content do you think such a show would contain such that broadcasting live becomes mission critical?
I actually haven't watched the podcast since about 2018 honestly for many of the reasons so many listed over the various threads but live isn't necessarily necessary but if a pre-recorded it becomes very time sensitive because information can change by the time they released the video, processes change, food items swapped out, etc.

We watch Last Week Tonight a lot. It's not filmed live but rather earlier in the day. But even that information that he's talking about may have changed. So with pre-recorded shows when you release them become pretty important. A set live show can give the opportunity to say "hey last week we said.... well now it's..." but if you're pre-recording and releasing several days later or you get really busy and can't do all the polishing, editing, prettied up you mention and oops this week it's now released a few days late instead of a day after you may find content becomes out of date quick and you're constantly playing catch up and then people look elsewhere for more up to date in real time information.

I would usually tune in either live or a few hours later, if my husband wanted to watch I'd wait. I didn't chat, it wasn't my thing.

As for some of your comment about polished, etc I think you'd want to be careful you aren't creating something that comes across too scripted. One of the things I actually enjoyed about the podcast circa 2017 and 2018 was the organic way conversations happened. I liked the splitting up of things like "Housekeeping" and "Rapid Fire" but enjoyed that in the moment thing. To the credit of the chat sometimes information was able to be quickly corrected and if you're pre-recording everything you'd probably have to edit out incorrect information thus leaving a blank that might make a viewer go "huh? what happened there" or words on the video to correct things.

If a live show is just too burdensome everyone will truly understand but if the thread is for what people want to see in the new era I don't think it makes someone selfish to express that the live aspect is what they enjoyed.

As for availability issues given what we know sometimes I think it would be likely there were other reasons someone wasn't available. They had virtually the same people on almost every week during 2017 and 2018...clearly things changed and I'm not confident it was just "life got busy"..

More emphasis on individuality and increased engagement with your audience, particularly prioritizing consistency across your channels. It's crucial to have a clear content schedule and leverage individual strengths.

Channel Lineup:
- "Rynos Merch Moments" on Mondays: Ryno showcases the latest merchandise from various parks, keeping things fresh and dynamic.

- "Sip & Savor with Craig" on Tuesdays: Craig takes viewers on a journey through breweries, offering insightful reviews on the latest drinks, aligning well with his expertise.

- Midweek Disney Unplugged on Wednesdays: A panel discussion about all things Disney from the week.

- "Erica's Park Bites" on Thursdays: Erica guides us through the park, reviewing the newest snacks, offering a short and delightful glimpse of the park experience.

- "DIScussion Fridays": A weekly show where you invite viewers to share topics related to Disney, fostering more interactive and engaging discussions. Your team's approachability shines in-person; let's bring that essence online too!

This isn’t a video suggestion/request, but for the boards here. Could someone create a wiki for abbreviations? If there is one, I haven’t found it. I’ve been to DW over a dozen times (and counting) but I still have a hard time parsing out what the heck some of them are.

It came to me as I was reading a thread where someone mentioned a VGF. I had to admit I have no earthly idea what that is by abbreviation alone.

This isn’t any kind of big issue in the grand scheme of things, but it gets irritating, and I’m sure people new to the Disboards have the same issues.

Just a thought :)

This isn’t a video suggestion/request, but for the boards here. Could someone create a wiki for abbreviations? If there is one, I haven’t found it. I’ve been to DW over a dozen times:)
I immediately assume "DW" on a message board means Dear Wife. I always use WDW for Walt Disney World.

Abbreviations are hard, especially because everyone doesn't use the same ones consistently.

So what was VGF. Without any context, I'm not figuring that one out either.

I immediately assume "DW" on a message board means Dear Wife. I always use WDW for Walt Disney World.

Abbreviations are hard, especially because everyone doesn't use the same ones consistently.

I think it was clear they were talking about Disney World given what proceeded the "DW" was "I've been to...over a dozen of times"

I've seen it as DW before, actually plenty of times and in this case I didn't find abbreviations hard

This isn’t a video suggestion/request, but for the boards here. Could someone create a wiki for abbreviations? If there is one, I haven’t found it. I’ve been to DW over a dozen times (and counting) but I still have a hard time parsing out what the heck some of them are.

It came to me as I was reading a thread where someone mentioned a VGF. I had to admit I have no earthly idea what that is by abbreviation alone.

This isn’t any kind of big issue in the grand scheme of things, but it gets irritating, and I’m sure people new to the Disboards have the same issues.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-list-of-common-abbreviations.1660743/

Discovered the DIS videos in 2017, for food reviews, and was hooked. Still enjoy those, and very much like that they do a lot quick service places, not just the more expensive table services. But they're good too. I REALLY appreciate the Universal shows, and would love to see more Florida places: Sea world, Busch Gardens, etc.
I would also like to see more guests, or featuring people going to the parks who don't live in Orlando, and also have kids and older teens. I really enjoyed the shows when Elaine would come on and talk about her plans/experiences/recommendations for her family/kids. Ditto when Tracey was on the Dreams Unlimited show. I would like to hear non-local opinions on Disney hotels, using genie+, food, , etc.
Love the shopping with Ryno episodes. He’s always so funny!
Looking forward to great content continuing.

To add to Pens Fan (as I was typing as they were :) ) you'll find that it's not been updated in a while nor is it always the same way everyone uses. It's a good launching point but could really use more visibility, updating but also posters can use contextual clues. Your VGF I wouldn't have understood if I didn't know you were talking about a Disney resort so that list would be good for that but I immediately understood you were referring to Disney World with your DW usage.

Just to give an example when is the last time you saw someone use PC to refer to Pop Century? It's always been seen as POP or Pop. The list was created when online stuff was still not as heavily used...in 2007 I was still using a flip phone ;)

https://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm

I got a chuckle over the DW. I used an abbreviation while grumping about abbreviations, and forgot about the dear wife thing :)

I think it was clear they were talking about Disney World given what proceeded the "DW" was "I've been to...over a dozen of times"

I've seen it as DW before, actually plenty of times and in this case I didn't find abbreviations hard
I was attempting to be somewhat humorous which I know doesn’t come across well in text. I agree that abbreviations are a problem, especially for newer folks. Context helps, which is why I didn’t know what VGF is.

I actually haven't watched the podcast since about 2018 honestly for many of the reasons so many listed over the various threads but live isn't necessarily necessary but if a pre-recorded it becomes very time sensitive because information can change by the time they released the video, processes change, food items swapped out, etc.
I disagree. As I've said, I don't watch - I listen. The audio podcast doesn't even come out until late Wednesday or sometime Thursday. I usually don't start listening until Friday or Saturday and it usually takes me 2 or 3 days to hear the whole show.

Very, very little of what they talk about is time-sensitve. The few exceptions almost never apply to me. Things like booking opening for a special event or a particular cruise or the 2024 Disney World packages. Otherwise, the stuff they're talking about is general Disney news and updates. I don't care if it's a few days old when I hear it. When I have a road trip coming up, I'll save a few weeks worth of shows to listen to on the drive. I don't think I have ever missed anything important by not hearing a show until weeks after it was released.

If I have a Disney World trip approaching, that's about the only time I want to be up to date on anything new or different, and even then a few days or a week doesn't matter as long as I hear it before we get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter