What would you like to see in the new era?

I decided I would add in my opinions on this after being a member here for many years but an occasional lurker on the boards. I used to watch every show the day after it aired. It has become obvious that over the last 3-4 years the show became a sales arm for whatever venture Pete was into and was the flavour of the month, or for the vacations that gave DU the most commission, mainly DCL and ABD and as such I slowly stopped watching as it became irrelevant to me. The spark for the vast majority of the regular contributors is long gone and you have a full panel of people that either rarely go to the parks or consider it a chore, this needs to change. A lot of the suggestions already made here are excellent ones that I agree with and can't really add to but the one thing the show/channel does need are people that are enthusiastic about the job/parks or can find that spark again.

Lots of Craig and Ryno. More resort and restaurant reviews.
Speaking of resort reviews, can you please quit making team members share a room? I travel frequently for work and have never been asked to share a room with another employee. I was astounded that this seemed a common practice for DIS employees.

Speaking of resort reviews, can you please quit making team members share a room? I travel frequently for work and have never been asked to share a room with another employee. I was astounded that this seemed a common practice for DIS employees.
In light of what Pete did, sure, however, in some cases, these folks are friends. Honestly, it should be up to them to decide how comfortable they are with that and be allowed to speak up about it with no repercussions.

I know it could be problematic to have “ordinary people” on the show, but the times Craig polled FB or Disboards users on favorite restaurants and read some of their comments was helpful. They could get people to weigh in on the good and bad of seniors, young kids, adults only visiting the different parks, great cast member experiences guests had, hardest things non residents have run into, and not have people on the air. Then offer their suggestion. They could comment on these comments🤔. I also agree that inserting more short video/photos of what they are discussing would make it more interesting than just 3-5 people siting around the table talking. I realize some people just listen and don’t watch, but I used to break up laughing at Ryno’s descriptions of the photos. I don’t need all sweetness and light by a long shot, but I don’t want all rants and complaints either.

get back to a bunch of people (who ever it needs to be) who are excited, passionate and interested in the parks/resports and who havent done everything a million times. Get a few new people and get them to do everything again from scratch for the first time. Most of the current crew seem burned out on Disney. You need to think most people are not living at WDW area. A new crew will tap into that urge people have to see things and trip plan.

I would like to see a better variety of viewpoints. Right now it's hyper focused on single alternative lifestyle perspective. I'd like to see additional perspectives from young families, grandparents (such as myself) and maybe some international folks. I'd also like to get back to basics with ride reviews and in park visits.

get back to a bunch of people (who ever it needs to be) who are excited, passionate and interested in the parks/resports and who havent done everything a million times. Get a few new people and get them to do everything again from scratch for the first time. Most of the current crew seem burned out on Disney.
I can't help but wonder how much of what came across as "burned out on Disney" was really driven by the toxic workplace environment. I'm hoping that all of them can regain that spark of Disney love with a better, safer, happier workplace.

I know from personal experience how my love of the work itself suffered when I was unhappy with the job situation. As soon as I got out of the bad situation, my love of the work quickly returned.

I would like to see a better variety of viewpoints. Right now it's hyper focused on single alternative lifestyle perspective. I'd like to see additional perspectives from young families, grandparents (such as myself) and maybe some international folks. I'd also like to get back to basics with ride reviews and in park visits.
I'm not picking on you, but I see a lot of posts saying they need more variety. Craig is a young married guy with an infant. Erica is a young married woman without children. Ryno is a young single guy. Corey and Julie are a slightly older married couple with 2 teenagers. John and Kevin are a 60-ish married couple without children. Theresa is married with a bit older kids, and Kathy is a widow, mother of grown children (one of whom works for Disney), and a grandmother who takes her grandkids to the parks sometimes. I think they have quite a few bases covered with the current crew. Sure there are some particular demographics not included but it's impossible to cover everything at once.

Hopefully, this post won't get deleted, but that's why I enjoy the FreshBaked! and Provost Park Pass channels so much. Dave and Chris, respectively, do videos with spouses, young kids, solo, friends and even videos with folks with disabilities. It gives a better perspective of different viewpoints for individual travelers, couples and families.

My suggestion isn't to cut and paste what those channels do, but you can adopt some of ideas of what those channels do and mold it to the talent you have working for you.

For instance, I've found Provost Park Pass videos about visiting the parks with a disabled guest especially helpful with DAS and other disability touring tips, because my DD has a disability. That type of video won't be universally beneficial for all guests, but it does help a large group of guests. Honestly, I have no idea when the last time the DIS ever did a walkthrough step by step for DAS or even other offerings that the WDW parks provide for folks with disabilities.

This isn't just a DIS thing, I've done this as a school employee and I hate it!

I'm not picking on you, but I see a lot of posts saying they need more variety. Craig is a young married guy with an infant. Erica is a young married woman without children. Ryno is a young single guy. Corey and Julie are a slightly older married couple with 2 teenagers. John and Kevin are a 60-ish married couple without children. Theresa is married with a bit older kids, and Kathy is a widow, mother of grown children (one of whom works for Disney), and a grandmother who takes her grandkids to the parks sometimes. I think they have quite a few bases covered with the current crew. Sure there are some particular demographics not included but it's impossible to cover everything at once.
that's fair although it is very rare we see Corey and Julie. It's equally rare to see Kevin and John (TBH i think John would be better off laying low for a while)

Right now your core is Craig/Ry/Erica. And I'll tell you what, I liked their work at Fort Wilderness reviewing Crockett's and Trail's End. Erica's really gotten good at this and is a refreshing POV. I feel like both of those videos got completely buried by the Pete news (understandably), which is too bad because the Fort is my favorite spot on property.

You could use one more voice with them that is available all the time. You don't need all 4 all the time but someone who steps in here and there. A Deni or Panda. I don't say that to insinuate they need to "bring them back" as both have moved on to presumably greener pastures but someone of that ilk. Maybe older than the 3, kids, just more life experience to add that perspective.

edit -- Corey or Julie would actually be perfect but I just assume they can't do the shows too often

I would say one of the biggest things they are missing is the perspective of non locals. I’m not sure of the best solution for that. A regular remote panelist would be one option. A reoccurring segment where someone films/records an interview via Zoom/Skype (or something better for audio) with a community member giving a trip report and maybe asked about their thoughts/experiences on relevant topics. If filmed ahead of time it could be trimmed down to a 5-10 min segment. That would also give team members a built in break during the stream to run to the bathroom, get a drink, etc…

I haven't really been watching religiously over the last few years, but I've tuned in a handful of times. The Tuesday show format needs to be scrapped. But I've really enjoyed when Ryno and/or Craig do room reviews or shopping stuff or anything in the parks. Their F&W vids have been quite good.

Get Ryno and Craig out of the studio and in to the parks (more).

Maybe diversity?

Some of my favorite content were the Off the Rails episodes w/ Craig/Ryno/Deni. I would love to see that come back (and Deni too!).
The "how are we doing" emotional wellness check ins need to stop, as well as any political talk. We are all dealing with stuff, and we are not tuning into the Dis to hear about other people's stuff.
Shorter videos, that are more focused, would be so much better than the hour+ long current format, that is not very informative.
Agree that I would like to see more dining/resort/merch reviews.
Most of your audience are WDW veterans, but we would still like to hear the latest strategies around Genie+, Rope Drop, EMH, park hopping, getting Boarding passes, how to get difficult dining ADR's, etc.
I appreciate Erica covering plant based options on the dining reviews, so hopefully that keeps up (although I'm very confused as to what her dietary restrictions are?)
Would love to see coverage of run Disney events.
And finally...
Please continue to allow more open dialogue on these boards. Those of us who have been around have seen people we knew just disappear. And please get rid of the power tripping, arrogant, anti-semitic webmaster.

I can't help but wonder how much of what came across as "burned out on Disney" was really driven by the toxic workplace environment. I'm hoping that all of them can regain that spark of Disney love with a better, safer, happier workplace.

I know from personal experience how my love of the work itself suffered when I was unhappy with the job situation. As soon as I got out of the bad situation, my love of the work quickly returned.
I agree - the last few dining reviews with Craig/Ryno/Erica you can just sense a difference in them. It's more loose and they're clearly having fun.

The last Tuesday show in the studio - the group was joking around and having a blast on the after show.

I think this change will do a lot for the team and the "burnout" they've appeared to have.

The "how are we doing" emotional wellness check ins need to stop, as well as any political talk. We are all dealing with stuff, and we are not tuning into the Dis to hear about other people's stuff.
Shorter videos, that are more focused, would be so much better than the hour+ long current format, that is not very informative.
Agree that I would like to see more dining/resort/merch reviews.
And this is why they can't possibly be all things to all people. I like hearing how they're all doing and what they're up to in their lives. I don't mind some of the politics as it directly relates to Disney, like the destruction of Reedy Creek, for example. And I only listen to the show, so more video content has no appeal to me. I'm fine with the hour-long format and always get annoyed when they cut off a conversation or skip a topic because they're "running long". Keep talking. I don't care if the show is 3 hours long. We don't stay onsite so I don't care about resort reviews. We very rarely do table-service dining so I don't mind hearing a little about that stuff, but that's what the dining show is for. It doesn't need to be on the Tuesday show other than to say, "Hey, we just posted our full review of Artist's Point. Go check it out. Basically, we all enjoyed it but watch the show for all of the details."

I'd like to see some differing views as well. I get that there are a variety of life points amongst the current group, but as other people are pointing out it's a very white panel full of people who are locals. Hearing more from people who still do the full vacation aspect of things would be very helpful and yeah, just, having some people of color would help things as well.

I love the team, I just think that it's gotten a bit stale for them to be doing this week after week for so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter