• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you like to see in the new era?

I don’t think the show gets enough hits (makes enough money) to pay all of the staff a salary, pay for all the annual passes, pay rent on a studio, pay for the filming equipment, pay for the food for the dining reviews, pay for Disney hotel rooms when reviewing, and pay for the travel when they review cruises/Disney land,
I’m sure there are other expenses that I am forgetting.
The podcast needs DUT to “sponsor” them.
We really don't know all of the semantics. We're just speculating.
With that said, another business or businesses can sponsor.
Right now, there are a lot of employees who are confused, triggered, scared, and maybe even mad. From a PR, we're truly moving forward standpoint, that's the way forward.
I'll speak for myself in that, if I see new content sponsored by Dreams Unlimited Travel, a company that helped foster a toxic person into an environment, I'm probably going to have integrity questions.

Trim the fat and cut the rigid structure. The best part of the old episodes is that they were genuine conversations that may spill into other related topics, which sometimes led to a 90 minute episode. It felt natural and like you were actually at the table with friends.

Nowadays, it's felt like the team is spread far too thin across the different shows that it's made the show feel stiff and scripted. The conversation can't go past a certain time because you have 6 other shows to record. But at this point, the team simply isn't large enough to sustain that.

I guess I need to know are we talking about the the shows being just Disney centric or are we talking about covering all the companies that Dreams will book vacations for? If just Disney I have nothing to say since the DW and I have moved on after recent experiences.

If we're talking about all the other companies out there then you need to do more about them. The Dreams Travel YouTube channel has turned into a ghost town and IMHO you're doing your customers a disservice by not providing information on alternatives.

Example is the various cruise lines that Dreams does business with. When Pete was discussing cruise lines it was always you have to do DCL. But unless you need to have that Disney bubble there are alternatives out there that might be a better fit if the viewers knew about them. Example, the DW and I got tired of the prices that DCL was charging. We also grew tired of the main dining rooms on DCL, after the first few times seeing the entertainment during the show we're at a point were we just want a nice quiet dinner. So now we're Celebrity cruise line customers and recommend them to our friends (just like Tracey Heinrichs, John Magi and Kevin Close have done).

I'll speak for myself in that, if I see new content sponsored by Dreams Unlimited Travel, a company that helped foster a toxic person into an environment, I'm probably going to have integrity questions.
The problem, from what we've heard, wasn't with Dreams Unlimited Travel. The issue was with the DIS Unplugged. Two separate companies that both had Pete in common. Nothing has come out to my knowledge about any abuse issues at the travel agency. It's all been with the podcast, so I'm not following you on why Dreams continuing to sponsor the show is an issue.

That said, someone mentioned earlier that it would be good to have other sponsors so that the show isn't beholden to drive business to DUT. I agree with that. It could free them up to cover broader topics even if that coverage doesn't generate bookings for the agency.

The Dreams Travel YouTube channel has turned into a ghost town and IMHO you're doing your customers a disservice by not providing information on alternatives.
I'd love to see the DUT show return. I think it hasn't been around because John and Kevin had so much else going on with buying the Cape May house and renovating that and traveling a great deal. Plus Kevin's mobility issues limiting him getting around the studio. Hopefully now that the Cape May place is settled and they will soon have a new studio that's accessible, they'll bring back that show. I don't know what Tracey is up to but hopefully she can join in as well.

The problem, from what we've heard, wasn't with Dreams Unlimited Travel. The issue was with the DIS Unplugged. Two separate companies that both had Pete in common. Nothing has come out to my knowledge about any abuse issues at the travel agency. It's all been with the podcast, so I'm not following you on why Dreams continuing to sponsor the show is an issue.

That said, someone mentioned earlier that it would be good to have other sponsors so that the show isn't beholden to drive business to DUT. I agree with that. It could free them up to cover broader topics even if that coverage doesn't generate bookings for the agency.
Pete is affiliated with both companies and held positions of power. We don't know the true business structure. But, we do know that Pete's stench is all over this. I'm only speaking for myself and how I feel. I understand that others are going to feel differently

Pete is affiliated with both companies and held positions of power. We don't know the true business structure. But, we do know that Pete's stench is all over this. I'm only speaking for myself and how I feel. I understand that others are going to feel differently
I can understand that point of view. Thank you for that.

Personally, having followed the DIS for over 20 years now, I've never gotten the impression that Pete really had anything to do with the travel agency as far as day to day operations. It always seemed to be John running the show. Pete was a co-owner but I don't think he ever once mentioned actually doing any travel agent work, even in the early days. Just my opinion but I consider Dreams and the DIS to be separate entities despite the fact that Pete had a financial interest in Dreams. But the DIS was Pete's company. He was the sole owner and was handling the day to day operations until this all blew up.

I'd love to see the DUT show return. I think it hasn't been around because John and Kevin had so much else going on with buying the Cape May house and renovating that and traveling a great deal. Plus Kevin's mobility issues limiting him getting around the studio. Hopefully now that the Cape May place is settled and they will soon have a new studio that's accessible, they'll bring back that show. I don't know what Tracey is up to but hopefully she can join in as well.
I guess then that John and Kevin would need to decide if their personal needs outweigh the business needs. And while Kevin would have issues in the studio he could do remote connections like they did during COVID.

I know Tracey is still knocking around since she's my agent and a number of times gotten the OOTO email response because she's traveling.

Last edited:
Disney news stories are covered daily on the DIS website and by the time they made it to the podcast, most people were aware of the story. For the Tuesday show, I think it makes more sense to take the specific news stories that actually impact travelers, and discuss how to plan for those impacts. For example, if a big update for Genie+ comes out, there is generally a news story that announces a change is coming, and then a news story when the update is released. Instead of going back over the news stories already posted and available for reading, the podcast could talk about any challenges people are having with the update, or the real world use of the new update with hints to make the most of the upgrade. It would even be nice to discuss how Genie affects the planning for people who can’t afford to buy it and have to use standby.

Corporate Disney stories rarely have an impact on the travel planning and the vacations of guests. For example, the Chapek/Iger story. The news story about Chapek leaving and Iger returning was posted when it happened. However, it also took up a lot of the podcast time that could have been used for other topics that were more relevant to guest vacations.

Perhaps re-titling the Tuesday show as a conversation as opposed to a news show would also work better since the news is usually discussed after the fact. Add in some resort discussion for all of the resorts, not just the deluxe resorts. Talk about tips and hints to make trips better. Talk about your experiences with new attraction previews, including any issues with comfort for tall or plus sized guests. If the plan is to continue with separate shows for dining, DVC, and DCL, focus the discussion on the parks and hotels. Perhaps set aside a section of the forum where every week there is a set time for people to send in questions about the parks and resorts that they would like answered.

There are people out there who are thirsty for knowledge when it comes to planning Disney trips. The Tuesday shows should be a big part of quenching that thirst. Time the show to 30-45 minutes so people can watch on their lunch hour, and focus on the positive side of vacation planning for WDW, and I think the show will be relevant to a wider audience.

Just my two cents . . .

I can understand that point of view. Thank you for that.

Personally, having followed the DIS for over 20 years now, I've never gotten the impression that Pete really had anything to do with the travel agency as far as day to day operations. It always seemed to be John running the show. Pete was a co-owner but I don't think he ever once mentioned actually doing any travel agent work, even in the early days. Just my opinion but I consider Dreams and the DIS to be separate entities despite the fact that Pete had a financial interest in Dreams. But the DIS was Pete's company. He was the sole owner and was handling the day to day operations until this all blew up.
The Dis is still Pete's company until he's fully divested, as is Dreams Unlimited Travel.

Sure there may be 10 million other people willing to take the spot of the current show hosts, but 9 million of them lack charisma and on-air personality. It's one thing to be knowledgeable about the parks, but if you're as dry and boring as curled linoleum, people are going to tune out. Or you get people who think they're funny but actually aren't, but that market is cornered by another WDW News Tshow.

I don't agree that panelists should be local. It's easier logistically for shows, but locals and out-of-towners go to the parks differently.

The entire DIS podcast team are employees of Dreams Unlimited Travel. DUT issues their paychecks. As such, DUT is their direct employer. John is the owner of DUT. As such, he is indirectly responsible for the well being of all the employees in his payroll. He failed them, even if indirectly. He ultimately holds as much responsibility as Pete, in terms of his position as one of the heads of the company that employs all these people we listen to every week.

My Ideal Outcome

“The Dis” returns to its original mission according to Bob Varley. A group of friends passionate and knowledgeable about traveling to and enjoying Walt Disney World. Aka Ryno’s “The Connors”. Talking about the ins and outs of enjoying a WDW vacation. As Ryno has said, The Dis isn’t a place of regular Vloggers about WDW rather a company that wants to inform travelers that will be coming to WDW. Vloggers in WDW are there to entertain others and enjoy the park themselves. It is also a larger community of people that read the boards, watch the podcast and travel with the team and go to Disunplugged events.

• Craig and Corey purchase The Dis
  • Payments for the purchase are set up to repay DU, - John and Donna for losses they have incurred.
  • Panda comes back as the host. He is very passionate about WDW and extremely knowledgeable about the parks. He still loves them and enjoys his time there. He has a fabulous on camera personality that is completely authentic. Very relaxed and positive with a really fun self-depreciating humor. No ego about being more informed or opinionated. He was the best addition in years.
  • Craig will produce the show and video content. I love him dearly, but I know his attention is divided when he hosts. He can’t help himself and is divided mentally when on air. He is an absolute rock and has held The Dis together for the last few years. He deserves our love and support.
  • Ryno covers film, merchandise, pop culture and whatever he wants. I love him dearly too and he needs to do and cover what will make him happy and he will shine doing it. He needs this opportunity to move forward with the freedom to explore. A few minutes of UO and Disney Pop Culture on “The Dis” a week would be informative and entertaining.
  • Julie and Teresa cover the practicalities of travel to WDW. This is The Dis bread, butter and all the groceries. This is what people want to hear. “Has the price of strollers gone up?” “Should I bring my own?” “Should I buy a cheap umbrella stroller down there then leave it behind?” “Should I rent in the park or rent from offsite?” Teresa often chimed in about what her clients are telling her. A segment called “What are our clients asking us” gathered from DU agents would be HUGE.
  • No one mentioned one word on MCO getting more direct flights from other airports.
  • Erika moves to social media and joins the Dining program segments on plant-based dining. She does not have the expertise to speak on planning travel and getting groups of people, families, to and from the park. Places to stay, where to get the most value for money spent. She loves the parks and enjoys her time there, but she doesn’t plan vacations or spent money to travel there.
  • Corey spends time making WDWinfo the go-to-spot to plan a vacation in WDW. Directing traffic to segments on The Dis Youtube channel on how to navigate Genie + or without The Magical Express how to get around. Again, finding out from the DU agents what their clients are asking and giving the DU agents a place to send their clients when they have questions.
  • Add John and Kevin to the dining program on the finer restaurants WDW and around Orlando. If they went back to Il Mulino they would be aghast at how bad it has gotten since the pandemic. A segment about getting around WDW in a scooter would be perfect and a great addition to the WDWinfo website. DU must have clients that have trouble getting around WDW. Here is how to grab that business.
These are fantastic ideas! We arrive at WDW on Sunday and in discussing plans with my daughter, I realized I no longer know the kind of information that I used to know, when I was a travel planner myself with a different agency (facilitated through friendships I made on the trip planning forums). As an AP holder and DVC member, I know nothing about tickets or even what is on the agenda for MNSSHP. That stuff used to be learned through the DIS.

I think Erica is perfect for scoping out the plant based meal items. I know she is aortic to dairy, and although I am not. I keep kosher, so plant based, or vegetarian, is often just the easiest way to choose. So not the same issues but solved the same way. I'm so glad she started reviewing these items.

I'd love to hear more from Teresa and Kathy. They're about my age and we're at similar life stages. And being TAs, they know all the stuff I don't know anymore about the parks and resorts and the logistics of it all.

Ryno is a good fit for shopping and merchandise.

Maybe even add in some information about the local area for restaurants, hotels and points of interest. I'm coming back in late September for a short visit and have to stay offsite because there's no DVC studios to be had that weekend. I'll be clueless.
Thank you Corey for creating this thread for us to give our input. I can tell you care.

Edited to add: getting Panda back to host would be fantastic! He seems like such a fun guy!

For what it’s worth I like the DCL content and while I never have been in one I would like to in the relative near future.

All of this is spot on and perfect. As a newer listener, It would be great to see people in positions to grow, thrive, and share what they are passionate about. Put people in a place to succeed.
I should add, I'd love to see a little more positivity in the show. And maybe that will change with recent events. Of all the Disney podcasts I have listened to, DIS Unplugged is by far the most negative. It's got to the point where I listen to it less and less. I feel like it's a show about what sucks about Disney, not what's positive or magical. It's ok to be critical, as you should be! But, CONSTANT negativity is a huge turn off. Obviously a negative work environment can lead to overall malaise, so I'm hoping recent changes brings some joy to the crew and podcast.
I agree with the person you were agreeing with. Also agree with you about positivity and no political talk. I don’t care which side you’re on. I don’t want to hear it. Don’t preach to us. You are trying to sell us vacations and give us the latest news. They stopped with the news and started telling us about their depression. We care about them but we are not therapist. We have our own stuff.

I like a weekly show. By then all the news is already out there, but what I like to hear is the panelists' opinions and takes and predictions around that news. Especially if there is some disagreement, so there is a discussion to be had. I assume the panelists are passionate about Disney, maybe they have some inside knowledge, and they definitely have opinions. Give me something that is fun to think about and and fun to argue with my husband about.

I'd love to see a more varied group of panelists on the show--young, older, people with kids, an out-of-towner who comes a few times a year.

For the regular panelists who are locals, try going to the park like a vacationer would--rope-drop, plan ahead, go all day, etc.

Also, I don't see the need to limit to Disney parks. Any Disney news is worth discussing.
I went back looking at old episodes to understand what I was reading on ******* I actually didn’t get a smart tv for quite awhile so I found dis unplugged just a couple of years ago. Of course finding out they were linked to the dis boards I had to subscribe. Anyway, in the first seasons on the show they did have other Disney news. Kevin and John would talk about Disney plays that were happening. In the episode I am thinking about There was a play in California about Walt’s life and also plays on broadway like Hunchback. I felt sick in a way for watching it because of what I found out was going on after the shows but the shows themselves were funny and well produced. It was very enjoyable. It’s all so very heartbreaking 💔.

Corey I just want to say you’re the only one saving my fandom for dis boards, dis unplugged and Dreams. You let down your guard and didn’t blame us for being upset. Your statement was professional and caring. You have been calm and we have felt comfortable coming to you here. I really hope you take over everything. I don’t feel like everyone will feel the same about John and Kevin at least not for a good while. Having fun on vacation posting pictures on the day we find out victims were drugged. Plus his statement. You need to save them from themselves please.

Please don’t come at me anyone. I truly want things to blossom but it’s going to be a long road and they need to hear how regular fans feel. Tone deaf has been mentioned a lot on other sites. I mean there was regular hostile engagement in comments on YouTube before this all came out. i think nothing less than a complete shake up will not be well received. I don’t know who was working underneath the dis unplugged name but I read some mean comments to someone that wasn’t even being mean to the channel. This is all important for a path forward. Anyway thank you Corey for hearing us. We appreciate you very much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter