What would you like to see in the new era?

I would also enjoy seeing things we haven’t tried, such as:

What is the experience like to reserve a VIP guide for the day? What are you really able to accomplish versus a normal day with Genie+?

What is the deal with those balloon rides at Disney Springs? What do you really get to experience? Is it worth it?

What does it really look like to try to rope drop as an offsite guest? What time do you need to do all the things?

Great question.

1. I'd like the Tuesday show to be about Walt Disney World. Not Disneyland. Not DCL. Not DVC. Not ABD. Not Universal. Just Disney World.

2. They need to somehow incorporate input from non-locals. They run shows and a travel agency to help people plan trips but the only voices we hear are of people who live down the street. Nobody on the panel actually has to plan their vacation at WDW. Sure they go there and they stay there at times, but it's entirely different for the family in New Jersey planning a one-week stay than it is for a local planning a "staycation".

3. Bring back some version of The Trip. Talk more about life outside of Disney property. The majority of travelers to WDW don't stay on property. They stay in Lake Buena Vista and along 192 in Kissimmee and closer to Universal and with family and friends in the area. Most people can't afford (or choose not to pay) Disney prices. Along with those offsite accommodations come off-site meals and some time spent at non-Disney attractions and shops. I'd love to see reviews of area restaurants, where the best grocery prices are, which tourist attractions are worth a visit and which aren't. Stuff like that.

4. Revitalize the boards. The focus in recent years has shifted to Facebook, but that's a very different platform than this. The two aren't interchangeable. Facebook doesn't foster the same sense of community that this forum does (or used to).

5. There's nothing wrong with highlighting premium vacation opportunities occasionally, but recognize that most people can't do those things. Most aren't spending an extra $250/night for concierge. Most can't take their family of 5 to a $150/person hard ticket event or spring for a table service meal every day of their trip. Let's hear more about counter service restaurants. Talk more about how the average guest experiences the parks and resort. Overall be more budget-conscious.

6. Plan impromptu opportunities to interact with the team. Nothing formal but how about posting that Craig will be in MK this Thursday. Look for him if you're there, and at 3pm he'll be hanging out by Sleepy Hollow for a bit. Or Ryno will be at Baseline Tap House on Wednesday from 5-7pm. Stop by and say hello.

I'm sure I can think of more but that's a start.
Dissenting opinoin- I would be upset if I was listening to a WDW podcast and it had a bunch of content on the Kissimmee hotels and attractions. I like the focus on WDW and WDW properties exlusively. It's a Disney bubble and I like it that way :)

Dissenting opinoin- I would be upset if I was listening to a WDW podcast and it had a bunch of content on the Kissimmee hotels and attractions. I like the focus on WDW and WDW properties exlusively. It's a Disney bubble and I like it that way :)
I think that content should be a separate show like The Trip was. I agree that the WDW show should be about all things WDW.

Use the boards
I just spent over an hour watching Molly's recent video on using Genie+ in the MK and deciding if it was still worth it with the price increase. THAT is the type of stuff that I want to see and more importantly, discussed. Watching a one hour video of someone bouncing around the MK with screenshots of available attractions is very informative and helpful, but a panel discussion of recent experiences with some debate about whether one person's strategy was better than someone else's would be even more interesting and valuable. The Tuesday show needs to get back to that type of "in the park" content. Create a segment called "Inside the Park Home Run" with a discussion of real world experiences in the park. And if the current team members are not the right fit for more persistent "in the park" content, then I can think of about 10 million other people who would jump at that chance.
  1. Use the forum for those 10 million other reviews.

Give a chance for parents to discuss the food, experiences, hotels & amenities, shows, strollers, transportation, etc, from an age appropriate ( grandparents as well) opinions. Organize the surveys in topic specific hotels, etc., into ages. by dates of travel.
  2. Use a voting survey. Keep it location specific.

We did something we have never done as locals with an 11 yr old granddaughter.

We broke up our stay 4 nights at BW in June, 3 nights at Wilderness Lodge in July, and 3 nights at Jambo AKL in August. Loved it.

What we found:
Kids change from year to year, in what they like and don’t like. Pool, rides, food, etc.

Don’t over plan, you may be disappointed. Include the kids in the decision, and let them know it’s okay if it’s a flop.

It is hotter than it has ever been in summer and it rained everyday. That’s why we picked closer to the park hotels, based on to do activities at the hotel.

We cried together with HEA at MK.
Loved Whispering Canyon fun. Cast members are great.
#1 favorite Storybook dining at WL. Evil queen was awesome. Don’t forget to dress up for the Queen. Wear a hat. The dwarfs have a ball. Putting it on their head, and dancing around.
Called in 2 hrs before Hoop de DO and got a floor seat.
(Try any dining reservation. call in. There maybe a cancellation, rather than standby)

JUST AN EXAMPLE after 7 years of annual passes, how much WDW was different than before.

Several years ago I, being a fair newby at understanding online content creation and how it works, was surprised to learn people could make a living wage from making videos and posting them in youtube. I recall getting an education here on the boards that the Dis Unplugged team actually got paid to do what they did. I watched as much for the personalities as the information they imparted, and I enjoyed the on-screen personas of most of the people I viewed during each show.

My own recommendations for going forward have probably already been stated by many others, but I’ll add my own voice to the fray: (In no particular order)

1. I enjoy the dining and resort informationals and reviews. I’d want to see more in-depth reviews of resorts, specifically. One doesn’t have to stay in the rooms, but I do enjoy the walk-abouts of the grounds. For example, the corrals at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Written reviews are fine, but I like to be able to actually see what people are reviewing. AND I like watching people who actually want to be there. By this I don’t mean the constant cheer-leading of some other Disney vloggers. Just a laid-back “just happy to be here” vibe.

2) Personalities aside, I did like when the dining reviews included a person (e.g. Fiasco) who had certain food issues. I’m extremely lactose intolerant, and I’ve been in restaurants (not Disney) that incorrectly claimed to me personally that a food didn’t have lactose on a trip, and the results have not only ruined trips for me, but led to a whoooole lot of pain and embarrassment. I appreciate that when Disney says a food is lactose free, I can pretty much believe it, but it’s still good to see people who share my issues order and review a certain food or restaurant that has good lactose free items.

3) If the Dis video channel actually makes the kind of money I’ve seen kicked around, take some of that to rent a space that’s centrally located for everyone, if you’re going to have “at home” videos. Doing it in anyone’s home (unless it’s by Zoom, which I personally wouldn’t want to do) will eventually not end well, even if it’s not for the same reasons that have come to light recently.

4) I enjoyed Craig’s short-form newscast. I want a “just the facts ma’am” kind of video (this reference is gonna date me lol). As a counterpoint, I’ve seen a different Disney news channel, and they go into such detail that eventually my eyes cross. I certainly wouldn’t need a two minute description of a mug or latest doodad. That’s not news to me, that’s advertising. A once weekly update would be great :)

As for the boards, I haven’t read the rules of the boards recently, and don’t want to navigate away and have to re-type, so I’m going to make a few assumptions; ya’all will correct me if I’m wrong. Vociferously, probably lol.

1) The “poop” comment exchange had me laughing, but also thoughtful. This is (I think) an all ages board where minors may be reading, and though some might have the vocabulary that any self-respecting pirate would admire, it’s in nobody’s interest to allow hard-core swearing. But how could a newby know that the mods on the boards would consider “poop” a swear word? I’m using that word to illustrate the murk into which a rule can sink when debating the way language is used when not properly defined. I know that runs the risk of getting ground up in the gears of minutiae, but simply clarifying some rules is a good start. “No references to defecation? No calling someone “poopyhead” in order to avoid censorship? I know making these calls aren’t easy, and personally, I wouldn’t want to be on that rules committee.

When I first joined, I had a post deleted because I supposedly broke a rule. (I should had this was at least 5 years ago, and my memory is like a screen door on a submarine) To this day, I have no idea what I did wrong, because I’ve since seen many, many posts with the same topic and wording as mine. It was in the right forum, etc. I can’t recall exactly, but I think I wanted to compare two different DW restaurants. No swear words, no politics, nothing but the two compared. I couldn’t decide what I wanted to do, and was trying to get help.

There was no explanation what I did wrong. I think this practice should change. If it’s not egregious, I don’t see what’s wrong with a mod touching base with a poster to help them not make that same mistake. As in my case, it left me with some pretty hard feelings after, and to this day I have no idea what I did wrong. I ended up thinking I didn’t do anything wrong, and the mod just had a bad day. But I stayed away from the boards for a while because of it, not being sure if anything I posted afterwards would be deleted, or me banned for no obvious reason other than the power trip of an individual.

To paraphrase my favorite Aristotelian quote: “Learning is not child’s play. There is no growth without pain.” Change and growth can be hard, but I really hope the Disboard and Dis Unplugged can eventually move forward with a renewd sense of purpose and a more positive culture that invites openness while focusing on what the main objective of the business is.

Good luck to all concerned.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear what the existing (or even former) podcast team wants to see in the future. That could be a show unto itself. What are they passionate about? What topics, new formats, different angles, show ideas etc. Tons of great feedback here but has to resonate with the team or they'll just be going through the motions. That's not to say you never take viewer feedback -- of course they should. But my advice would be to create a mission statement that resonates with the team and go from there.

I'd love to hear what the existing (or even former) podcast team wants to see in the future. That could be a show unto itself. What are they passionate about? What topics, new formats, different angles, show ideas etc. Tons of great feedback here but has to resonate with the team or they'll just be going through the motions. That's not to say you never take viewer feedback -- of course they should. But my advice would be to create a mission statement that resonates with the team and go from there.
Exactly. The team needs to decide what type of content they want to produce. Many great suggestions have been made in this thread, and some of them are contradictory. But both are perfectly valid. Some things suggested here would not appeal to me at all and I wouldn’t tune in anymore if that’s the direction they went, but others would find that content much more interesting. The final decision needs to come from the passion and interests of the teams.

It would be great to hear from people who vacation to Disney World instead of just people who live in the area. I am tired of hearing things like I don't know about the dining plan because I don't use it. If you want to attract new viewers, discuss vacation planning from a vacationers perspective and not from a locals perspective. I constantly hear things said on the shows that are incorrect because the team doesn't have any idea how to vacation at Disney anymore. Deni did a great job of thinking about things from a vacationers perspective and not as a local. That was gone when she left.

This might not be a popular opinion, but to me the whole weekly "news" format has passed it's prime. I rarely watched it as everything they were talking about I already knew. Heck, their own website, twitter feed, etc had already posted most of it.

I understand what you’re saying but I never watched the show to learn the news. Although there were times I was busy and missed stuff so I actually heard hit first there. I more enjoyed hearing a group of friends/people who share a love of the parks discussing the news and hearing the differing opinions. That’s what drew me in, I wasn’t tuning in for a bland read directly from the script news broadcast. And some of the funniest times, when I had to stop what I was doing to crack up laughing came from those candid, unscripted discussions.

All of this introspection has made me think about what I'd love to see in the new era as it relates to the podcast and content... so this might be a way to channel all of this in a positive way.
My first post - I started watching the DIS Unplugged and the other channels around 2015 (the year my husband died). It really helped me focus on something outside my house and fun. I will always thank the folks who's joy in being at Disney was obvious. I've always had issues with some of the sarcasm (though some of it was funny) and all of the inside weird meanness. I wish all past employees the best and follow a few of them.

All that said - what the entire DIS team (both DIS Boards, DIS Channel, Dis Unplugged, whatever other ones) needs to do from my perspective is get back inside the parks. That's not to say that folks have not been working it's just obvious that things have gotten very scattered. Spend a few minutes highlighting special travel opportunities right after announcing who is sponsoring the show. Then do a summary of the news concluding with Rapid Fire and be sure to mention the detailed news summary that comes out every Friday (Craig's news summaries were great). Then have discussion - topics I really think they need to tie this part of the show to the boards - let the boards vote on it - really tie the two together. I would suggest that every episode of the podcast end with a video of someone riding a ride, preferably one of their favorites with why - it could be Craig, Ryno or Erika but also Julie, Theresa, another travel agent etc. Have the video available separately on The DIS channel afterwards.

The other big piece is that I love Ryno's shopping videos so please continue those. I would like to suggest that the Dining Show vary the episodes - With dining plan coming back I think they need to do Festivals, Snacks, Quick Service, Full Service 1 ticket and Full Service 2 ticket type of breakdown. This really should be done in a sane manner budget wise because I this is a major hit to the budget. I would say maybe alternate Dining Show episodes with Shopping episodes? I also think the Universal Show should continue - the guys have done a great job introducing all of those offerings to me (I've always concentrated on Disney in the past but Universal is not in my plans).

Last they really need to get a parent of older kids perspective on the show each week.

I like a weekly show. By then all the news is already out there, but what I like to hear is the panelists' opinions and takes and predictions around that news. Especially if there is some disagreement, so there is a discussion to be had. I assume the panelists are passionate about Disney, maybe they have some inside knowledge, and they definitely have opinions. Give me something that is fun to think about and and fun to argue with my husband about.

I'd love to see a more varied group of panelists on the show--young, older, people with kids, an out-of-towner who comes a few times a year.

For the regular panelists who are locals, try going to the park like a vacationer would--rope-drop, plan ahead, go all day, etc.

Also, I don't see the need to limit to Disney parks. Any Disney news is worth discussing.

As an old listener/watcher from the show I do think they suffer from the the growth of social media/internet. Back in the day we might have tuned in to listen to Disney news just once a week but now I can get instant updates everywhere online when something happens and enjoy live streams from the parks on almost every single social media app. The Dis Unplugged became a bit of a dinosaur.

For the future I would like to see:

1. If Disney news continues they need to be posted more often and focus more on the teams opinion of the news story than just giving us the facts. Or stick to a new fun topic each week.

2. Actual content from the team at the parks and resorts! We want to see you enjoy Disney World not just talk about it in a far away studio.

3. Please talk about what you enjoy and makes you happy. Things became very negative and it felt like nobody enjoyed Disney World.

4. Please keep the team to people who actually go to the parks weekly and who has experienced most of the things you discuss. It feels really weird when, you as the viewer, have more experience than then so called “panel of experts”.

5. Please do something more with your social media than post links to articles on The Dis. Look at wdwnt and disneyfoodblog. They do a great job of informing and entertaining.

6. Please engage with your audience more. That is how you continue building a community.

7. Livestreams from the parks would be fun!

With at least a couple of full-time employees this should be possible.

My first post - I started watching the DIS Unplugged and the other channels around 2015 (the year my husband died). It really helped me focus on something outside my house and fun. I will always thank the folks who's joy in being at Disney was obvious. I've always had issues with some of the sarcasm (though some of it was funny) and all of the inside weird meanness. I wish all past employees the best and follow a few of them.

All that said - what the entire DIS team (both DIS Boards, DIS Channel, Dis Unplugged, whatever other ones) needs to do from my perspective is get back inside the parks. That's not to say that folks have not been working it's just obvious that things have gotten very scattered. Spend a few minutes highlighting special travel opportunities right after announcing who is sponsoring the show. Then do a summary of the news concluding with Rapid Fire and be sure to mention the detailed news summary that comes out every Friday (Craig's news summaries were great). Then have discussion - topics I really think they need to tie this part of the show to the boards - let the boards vote on it - really tie the two together. I would suggest that every episode of the podcast end with a video of someone riding a ride, preferably one of their favorites with why - it could be Craig, Ryno or Erika but also Julie, Theresa, another travel agent etc. Have the video available separately on The DIS channel afterwards.

The other big piece is that I love Ryno's shopping videos so please continue those. I would like to suggest that the Dining Show vary the episodes - With dining plan coming back I think they need to do Festivals, Snacks, Quick Service, Full Service 1 ticket and Full Service 2 ticket type of breakdown. This really should be done in a sane manner budget wise because I this is a major hit to the budget. I would say maybe alternate Dining Show episodes with Shopping episodes? I also think the Universal Show should continue - the guys have done a great job introducing all of those offerings to me (I've always concentrated on Disney in the past but Universal is not in my plans).

Last they really need to get a parent of older kids perspective on the show each week.
They had that parent with older kids perspective with Deni. We need her back.

I completely disagree with this take.
That's cool. The great thing about this country is that we can voice our opinions. I don't expect everyone to agree. I would love it if you could elaborate further and would appreciate your take

What would I like to see in the new Era?

No more closing threads because the topic being discussed is shedding light on disgusting behaviour of of owners and staff, and therefore having a negative effect on the bottom line. This company as a whole is toxic and needs to disappear. Nothing left to salvage
As mentioned in another post, Corey's child is having surgery tomorrow. He's not going to be able to keep an eye on this forum and these threads while attending to his family - which, rightfully, should be his priority. We should be able to grant some level of grace to him, as he's been a significant voice of reason in all of this.

That's cool. The great thing about this country is that we can voice our opinions. I don't expect everyone to agree. I would love it if you could elaborate further and would appreciate your take
I don’t think the show gets enough hits (makes enough money) to pay all of the staff a salary, pay for all the annual passes, pay rent on a studio, pay for the filming equipment, pay for the food for the dining reviews, pay for Disney hotel rooms when reviewing, and pay for the travel when they review cruises/Disney land,
I’m sure there are other expenses that I am forgetting.
The podcast needs DUT to “sponsor” them.

I don’t think the show gets enough hits (makes enough money) to pay all of the staff a salary, pay for all the annual passes, pay rent on a studio, pay for the filming equipment, pay for the food for the dining reviews, pay for Disney hotel rooms when reviewing, and pay for the travel when they review cruises/Disney land,
I’m sure there are other expenses that I am forgetting.
The podcast needs DUT to “sponsor” them.
Or, it can be run like a legitimate business, with a real business plan, and focused measures along with proper governance to ensure they are meeting the target audience needs resulting in "real" sponsors and not a pseudo business which has resulted in the current situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter