What would you like to see in the new era?

Well I wouldn't either but you know what I would like to get information about is FOR that person that hasn't been to Disney in the past 10 years.
Oh I agree that it became too local centric nut I'm also in the mindset of don't go making extreme changes just for the sake of "reinventing" the show. I think we're all fans for roughly the same reasons and as things calm down we'll be forgiving if they try to slowly find their new path. I think stuff for non-locals is imperative. I'm non local. But again it should be organic and not forced which is what I'm worried they will do and it won't be authentic. If any of that makes sense.

Oh I agree that it became too local centric nut I'm also in the mindset of don't go making extreme changes just for the sake of "reinventing" the show. I think we're all fans for roughly the same reasons and as things calm down we'll be forgiving if they try to slowly find their new path. I think stuff for non-locals is imperative. I'm non local. But again it should be organic and not forced which is what I'm worried they will do and it won't be authentic. If any of that makes sense.
It def. does make sense. I agree with your overall thoughts. I'm glad they are open to really get a feel for what their audience wants, that alone to me is a small but positive change :)

Can I ask a specific question about the 'non-local' perspective? What exactly is the perspective that you're looking for? Like up-to-date info on what it's like to fly in/MCO transportation? Is it the idea that someone who doesn't live here might be less informed so they might bring up good points about what people are asking about/need to know?

As we continue to look at how we want to shape content moving forward, I want to include this, but I need to know 'who' I'm looking for to satisfy what everyone wants from the non-local perspective. Like what are the specific weaknesses of being a local versus a tourist? We are already planning on better ways of approaching Genie+ which I know is a huge request, but there has to be more than that.

And I just want to make it clear, I'm not dismissing this in a way like we've done before when this topic comes up. I think both perspectives are important based on the location. Such as never ask a New Yorker for advice on visiting the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty because they've probably been once or never, but at the same time, don't ask a tourist for advice on the best food you can find in Rome when you can ask the locals. WDW is unique, and while my opinion is to trust people who go more than others whether local or non-local, I also know there are specifics we are missing otherwise there wouldn't be a request for out-of-towners.

There's just so many logistical issues that a non-local has to factor in and work through that locals need not worry about. Those logistics are the things non-locals are always looking for help with - either with the absolute basics for the case of first-timers, or for the once a year or every other year (or less) visitors, they are always looking for a better or more efficient/economical way to do something.

I think the most common thread woven through all the things non-locals are looking for comes down to maximizing their limited, precious time in WDW. That includes the figuring out the most efficient ways to/from/around property. Choosing the right resort. The most efficient way to tour the parks, including meals. Making the best possible use of Genie+. Many have already suggested a lot of great ideas to help with these, so don't want to be repetitive.

To the questions around the Tuesday show...I certainly don't think it needs to remain in that time slot - in fact, I think most people would prefer a different time slot later in the day. However, I think there absolutely does need to be a weekly "anchor" show to go along with the other content. Doesn't have to be in a studio, but I think that a live show is best as it allows to them to engage with the audience via the chat.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time...now sort of is the time reinvent the show. In the interest of staying relevant and also making a living, the team is likely looking at how they can become more broadly appealing. There are other Disney channels making a killing because their viewership is consistently very high. Why not try to boost ratings and views?

For example, those of us who are YT creators often use an SEO tool such as TubeBuddy. A quick search shows that a video title of "How to Park at Disney World's Magic Kingdom" has a 90% overall keyword score - which is EXCELLENT. It means there is a high search volume for that topic, and relatively few videos out there compared to demand. Conversely, if I search a title like "Citricos Dining Review" (one of Pete's last review videos), the keyword score is 29% - poor. Very few people searching for a video on that.

Obviously you should not base all of your content on search optimization, but throwing in some videos of what the general public are searching and longing for is smart business. They can still be entertaining and engaging / fun while delivering the info people are looking for. Give people the info they want, while hooking them to stay with their personality.

I would add that "non local WITH KIDS" is also something many of us might want perspective on. @Teleclashter could give us his perspective, for example, on a practical things he experienced as a dad at Disneyland. Did they bring their own stroller on the plane, or rent one in the parks? How did that work out? What was it like navigating the plane ride and airport with a baby? What does Disney provide for babies in the hotel rooms - did their child sleep okay in the pack n' play provided? How did they navigate nap time? Character interactions? etc.

People actually do want to hear those mundane types of things - and Craig could I'm sure provide some entertaining anecdotes as a Dad that we'd all enjoy, even if we don't have children.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time...now sort of is the time reinvent the show. In the interest of staying relevant and also making a living, the team is likely looking at how they can become more broadly appealing. There are other Disney channels making a killing because their viewership is consistently very high. Why not try to boost ratings and views?

I would add that "non local WITH KIDS" is also something many of us might want perspective on. @Teleclashter could give us his perspective, for example, on a practical things he experienced as a dad at Disneyland. Did they bring their own stroller on the plane, or rent one in the parks? How did that work out? What was it like navigating the plane ride and airport with a baby? What does Disney provide for babies in the hotel rooms - did their child sleep okay in the pack n' play provided? How did they navigate nap time? Character interactions? etc.

People actually do want to hear those mundane types of things - and Craig could I'm sure provide some entertaining anecdotes as a Dad that we'd all enjoy, even if we don't have children.
Don’t disagree but it’s a fine line to walk for sure. And I mentioned in one of my posts that Craig’s new kid would be a great addition to the channel as a segment for new parents. And honestly even parents who are passed that point would enjoy reliving those early years through his eyes. This of course assuming he wants to bring his child into the public eye through the vlogs. He may not and that’s totally understandable. But it sorta has worked for the Trackers.

Don’t disagree but it’s a fine line to walk for sure. And I mentioned in one of my posts that Craig’s new kid would be a great addition to the channel as a segment for new parents. And honestly even parents who are passed that point would enjoy reliving those early years through his eyes. This of course assuming he wants to bring his child into the public eye through the vlogs. He may not and that’s totally understandable. But it sorta has worked for the Trackers.

He certainly doesn't need to bring his child "into the public eye". What's much more important is the new perspective Craig has likely gained and hopefully a new appreciation for how much more planning/work goes into everything (not just Disney vacations), now that you have a child.

If they make a YouTube feed available for audio only, that's fine. But then I would also challenge - why couldn't audio only listeners just stream the YouTube in their car and not watch the video? That accommodation does go both ways.

Ultimately I don't have a stake in how the team chooses to go about, but I do think it would be a mistake to stop using YouTube as a platform for the Tuesday show (in whatever form/whatever day/etc it returns as).

I am primarily an audio listener. I just download the shows from You Tube and store them in my library for later listening because I have the feature where I can play YouTube videos as audio with my phone screen off. That way I can listen on walks or watch the videos, both work. I'd say I listen 80% of the time and watch 20%. Watching isn't necessarily unless they have lots of images or B roll to share.

Something to keep in mind is that DisUnplugged is really the promotional tool for Dreams Unlimited. As much as we all compare them to other vloggers, the reality is they are employees of a travel agency and their primary function is is create content to get new travel agency customers and to retain travel agency customers.

Thats a very different content strategy, plan and purpose than the self employed vlogger whose primary revenue stream is from YouTube monetization.

Content creation going forward and how that content is distributed may be more aligned with the needs and wants of the travel agency customers and may not be what long term listeners / viewers are used to .

Something to keep in mind is that DisUnplugged is really the promotional tool for Dreams Unlimited. As much as we all compare them to other vloggers, the reality is they are employees of a travel agency and their primary function is is create content to get new travel agency customers and to retain travel agency customers.

Thats a very different content strategy, plan and purpose than the self employed vlogger whose primary revenue stream is from YouTube monetization.

Content creation going forward and how that content is distributed may be more aligned with the needs and wants of the travel agency customers and may not be what long term listeners / viewers are used to .
If you're going to put it like that then that means you only think about people who book through Dreams Unlimited Travel which would absolutely alienate a lot of people. While you want to grow in the numbers of people who utilize your sponsor you are not a travel agency itself. Dreams Unlimited Travel themselves should then do podcasting rather than any employee with the DIS if they are not Dreams Unlimited Travel agent as well. Otherwise you still need to appeal to a variety of people.

I don't think people are really under the illusion that they are just like any other vloggers, it's that if the content isn't there people can and will look elsewhere because there is a lot more competition.

Besides some of your earlier wants don't really fit into what you're saying above. Is it the responsibility of a travel agent to discuss the ins and outs of rope drop? Or go over "proper filling meals in an economical way" or to discuss meal sharing? These are things that you're actually going to get more by having the podcasters get into it.

He certainly doesn't need to bring his child "into the public eye". What's much more important is the new perspective Craig has likely gained and hopefully a new appreciation for how much more planning/work goes into everything (not just Disney vacations), now that you have a child.
It's a good point and he has a child in what is probably a "new era" of Disney by that I mean during/after the pandemic. If you had a kid through pre-FP, Legacy FP, or MP or FP+ it's going to be a different approach than with Genie+/ILL. Knowledge is knowledge but it may be really helpful when people give their feedback in recent times. Even things such as stroller guidelines that were updated pre-pandemic (and removal of wagons being allowed), I remember when that was really new people discussing what strollers others had been using that fit in with the guidelines.

Another agree. I watch things on YouTube. I don't listen to podcasts. I'm sure I could find out how to listen to podcasts, but I don't even know how to do it.
I thought I was the only one.
I save the YouTube videos to a Playlist, and watch while I exercise. 30 minutes on the elliptical goes much better if I'm thinking about disney world while working out.
I have no idea how to listen to a podcast.

I thought I was the only one.
I save the YouTube videos to a Playlist, and watch while I exercise. 30 minutes on the elliptical goes much better if I'm thinking about disney world while working out.
I have no idea how to listen to a podcast.

You use a podcast player app. If you have an android, use Google Podcasts. If Apple, use Apple Podcasts. Download these from the app store.

Or use a music app like Spotify. You just search for podcasts by name and download them. You can set it up to auto download new episodes. There are literally thousands of podcasts on all different subjects. I suggest you learn how to listen to them. Lots of great options for entertainment or information. I listen while doing chores and cooking, going for walks and working out, in the car, etc.

I hope all that's just happened isn't ignored. I'm not asking to have a vein opened every week, but talk about it when needed and appropriate. Where there's a vacuum rumors are sucked in. I really don't want to dance around the internet to get whatever news is out there. Give it to us straight.

their primary function is is create content to get new travel agency customers and to retain travel agency customers.
But that can be done simply by making WDW look like a desireable place to go. I'm not sure there is any content that needs to be reconfigured to fit the fact that the channel is run by a TA. In fact, I'm not even sure what that would look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter