What would you have done?

To follow CDC guidelines you would need to push it out 10 days. And for those 10 days wear an N95 mask, not a procedure mask, not a homemade mask, but an N95 mask for the entire 10 day period.

Would any of the people who said they would not have gone follow the CDC guidance?

Nope! I think I've made up my own guidance, lol. I haven't even looked at the CDC recs in a long time. Last I had heard, for our school system, kids with a known case in the household (but who were not themselves positive, felt fine, and had been vaccinated) could come to school as normal but should wear a mask.

Also, I know with at least the Omicron strain, the incubation was much shorter - like 2-3 days estimated - which is why they think it was better at evading the vaccine - since the t-cell response takes longer to kick in and often by the time it did, the virus had already gotten itself established. I would very likely take a test on day 5 after exposure prior to deciding about whether or not to spend closer time with anyone outside the household in a close quarters setting.

Within my household, I kind of feel like if one of us has it, the others are either going to get it or not, and I'm not going to walk around in a mask in my house for 10 days. I do understand that masks can be quite effective at reducing the spread, but in a 24/7 together situation I think it's kind of likely something's going to get by, and I think having a mask on might just delay the inevitable. I would rather we all get it simultaneously, isolate together, and then be ready to return to normal together. When DH had it last summer, he was all about avoiding us, even though I told him not to worry about it. None of the rest of us got it. Several months later, after our first post-pandemic cruise, the rest of us got it. We all came down with symptoms and tested positive within a couple of days of each other. We followed the guidance (at the time) of staying at home for days 1-5, able to be in public days 6-10 (with no fever and wearing mask), and return to normal after day 10.

There comes a point at which this is just normal. You do realize that the annual flu is really just a variant of the Spanish Flu, right? It mutates a bit each year, some people get the updated vaccine, a lot of people don't, some people get sick and yes, some people die - but most of us don't. We don't mask/test/shut down schools, businesses, beaches and parks over it - we just, move on. COVID has to be handled the same way at some point - why not now?
Actually, schools have been shut down when there are a lot of flu cases in an area.

Who does Covid tests anymore? I would have gone without a second thought.
I took two this weekend. I was feeling ridiculously tired on a hike we do regularly to the point that I thought it could be covid. Both were negative, so I went on as usual. No known exposure.

It may be that since many here see it as being in their collective rear view mirror that the discussions on such topic are no longer forboden. I see it nowhere indicating that such topic is disallowed.
I wandered over to the "Welcome to the Dis" area and all of the stickies about "covid talk" have been taken down. Then I wandered over to the "rules" section and the normal rules still apply with respect to "no politics or religion". Even in that department I've seen posts where there's mention of those topics and they haven't been removed and threads not shut down. Before the big scandal and resulting talk about hair-trigger moderators, they would have been. So, not sure if this is the new way forward, or that they're just leaving us alone to play in the basement for awhile before they open the door upstairs and yell down at us to "knock it off!!" Time will tell ;).

I wandered over to the "Welcome to the Dis" area and all of the stickies about "covid talk" have been taken down. Then I wandered over to the "rules" section and the normal rules still apply with respect to "no politics or religion". Even in that department I've seen posts where there's mention of those topics and they haven't been removed and threads not shut down. Before the big scandal and resulting talk about hair-trigger moderators, they would have been. So, not sure if this is the new way forward, or that they're just leaving us alone to play in the basement for awhile before they open the door upstairs and yell down at us to "knock it off!!" Time will tell ;).
Those are the places I also checked before posting my post there yesterday evening. I also check 4 or 5 forums to see if there were any top of the forum stickies, none.

Ahh, interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I thought they'd changed them but I may have been confusing the difference between the isolation rules and the rules for people who actually have covid. It would seem that they need to update the isolation standards because I don't know anyone who is doing that....isolating or wearing an N95 for ten days post exposure. Right now, with so much covid around, many of us have been exposed and should be wearing N95s by their rules.

I think a lot of us were willing to follow those strict rules pre-vaccine....and while everyone was getting vaccinated. A lot of people were unwilling to do even that, and so they did not. Once we reached the point where everyone had the opportunity to be vaccinated, it was time to move on from those strict measures. Now I see it as protecting the most vulnerable....and understanding different situations where it might be best to avoid people.

I still have lingering issues with my heart (palpitations) and I have had a cough since being sick in 2020. I wouldn't call it Long Covid, but my doctor and cardiologist are keeping an eye on me.

I *really* don't want to be that sick again. I went to the pharmacy last night and masked up for the first time in a year, and used hand sanitizer after touching the keypad for my medications. I hated it, but I've decided to put up with it. I'm quadruple vaxxed, but this new strain seems to be evading that. Until I get a new booster, masking it is, and I don't care what people think about it. it's *my* decision, it doesn't affect anybody else but me to wear a mask, so people should chill the heck out.

To answer OP, I cannot say I would NOT 100% have gone to be honest. If the party was outdoors, I tested negative and felt ok, then I would 100% have gone. If my friends are home bodies, older mayb i would have stayed home, but with my group of friends who are always out and about and traveling/flying = exposed to so much anyways I probably would have gone. I cannot live again with the what ifs constantly hanging over my head. On the otherhand I have avoided my mom, elderly since last week, ( see below).

My DD and I just had covid again. Interesting too. Last weekend we all met up for a girls weekend in Chicago. Friend from Ann Arbor, 3 friends from STL, friend from Chicago and Us flew in from Germany. Ann Arbor friend came Friday night stayed with CHI friend. Sat. night me, DD, Ann Arber and CHI friend share a hotel room. Ann Arbor said she feels like her acid reflux is acting up as her throat hurts. Sunday morning she wakes up miserable cold sick.. She says I am out of here and heads home. We had met up with STL 3 friends. Ann Arbor friend tests and is +, CHI friend feels sick starting Tuesday morning and +. We feel fine, fly home tuesday Wendmorning DD tests + and me barely there + and 2 of STL girls +. All of us tested + and had mild to cold symptoms.

If you can understand the above it, it spread very fast. All had cold symptoms maybe 48 hours max. not bad at all. no flu/fever symptons. Intereseting thing is my DD is still coughing, but tested now negative. I have had zero symptoms 3 days now and tested + still today... We exposed our families when we got home and NOBODY got it...

sidenote: notice many random people wearing masks in the Chicago area.. ( IMO not correctly or masks that are pointless) here in Germany if you see people then mainly airports.

Just pointing out the irony of this because in your avatar, you’re wearing a mask! :P
LOL! I forgot about that. That was my last picture at Disney so that was why I used it and I went in 2020. If I wasn't forced to wear the mask then I wouldn't have. Luckily that day wasn't too hot but when I was at Universal the week before it was brutal.

There comes a point at which this is just normal. You do realize that the annual flu is really just a variant of the Spanish Flu, right? It mutates a bit each year, some people get the updated vaccine, a lot of people don't, some people get sick and yes, some people die - but most of us don't. We don't mask/test/shut down schools, businesses, beaches and parks over it - we just, move on. COVID has to be handled the same way at some point - why not now?
If I had been with someone the day before, and they were diagnosed with the flu, I’d stay home. No one is going to have illness symptoms less than 24 hours after being around someone who gets sick.

Oh that’s something I didn’t know, just wanted to get peoples’ feedback as I was feeling torn on the situation. If it is an issue it can be removed of course! So sorry to the mods!
I don't see it as part of the rules anymore. It must be a recent change.

I swear the Dis is an anomaly. I know no one in real life that still tests for Covid.

Does the CDC even recommend quarantine if you were exposed?

In my area of NJ life is back to normal. People don’t stay home with a mild cold or cough. No one wears masks. The C word is barely ever brought up. It’s business as usual.
Are you in south jersey? North and south are like 2 different states.

To answer OP, I cannot say I would NOT 100% have gone to be honest. If the party was outdoors, I tested negative and felt ok, then I would 100% have gone. If my friends are home bodies, older mayb i would have stayed home, but with my group of friends who are always out and about and traveling/flying = exposed to so much anyways I probably would have gone. I cannot live again with the what ifs constantly hanging over my head. On the otherhand I have avoided my mom, elderly since last week, ( see below).

My DD and I just had covid again. Interesting too. Last weekend we all met up for a girls weekend in Chicago. Friend from Ann Arbor, 3 friends from STL, friend from Chicago and Us flew in from Germany. Ann Arbor friend came Friday night stayed with CHI friend. Sat. night me, DD, Ann Arber and CHI friend share a hotel room. Ann Arbor said she feels like her acid reflux is acting up as her throat hurts. Sunday morning she wakes up miserable cold sick.. She says I am out of here and heads home. We had met up with STL 3 friends. Ann Arbor friend tests and is +, CHI friend feels sick starting Tuesday morning and +. We feel fine, fly home tuesday Wendmorning DD tests + and me barely there + and 2 of STL girls +. All of us tested + and had mild to cold symptoms.

If you can understand the above it, it spread very fast. All had cold symptoms maybe 48 hours max. not bad at all. no flu/fever symptons. Intereseting thing is my DD is still coughing, but tested now negative. I have had zero symptoms 3 days now and tested + still today... We exposed our families when we got home and NOBODY got it...

sidenote: notice many random people wearing masks in the Chicago area.. ( IMO not correctly or masks that are pointless) here in Germany if you see people then mainly airports.

Do you feel this time was less severe than the time you had it before?

LOL! I forgot about that. That was my last picture at Disney so that was why I used it and I went in 2020. If I wasn't forced to wear the mask then I wouldn't have. Luckily that day wasn't too hot but when I was at Universal the week before it was brutal.
I went in August of 2020 it was brutal. That being said it was a great trip. When I look at pictures from that trip I can't believe how empty the parks were.

Maybe time for a new avatar?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter