What would you have done?

I think we all have to critically assess if repeated boosters are a great idea. We don't know what this is doing to our bodies and if they are even going to be effective. It's something that everyone should have knowledge of the pros and cons.

I do have the knowledge of the pros can cons of the situation and make my healthcare decisions accordingly.

When has anyone, CDC included, said that prior infection provides NO immunity? I've seen data on infection vs. vaccine with regards to effectiveness and length of protection, but I've never seen anywhere say previous infection provided no immunity whatsoever.

The CDC has never said that. That's virology 101....that when you get a virus, beat it back and survive....that you acquire immunity.

People can debate which immunity is more effective....virus or vaccine, but I've heard that both are actually the most effective....if you got the virus then the vaccine, or the vaccine then the virus. Also, both types of immunity wane over time. The immunity that I built from the influenza that I got in 2010 (an awful flu) was higher back then....than it is now in 2023. And that's why I get the flu shot, or booster....and hope that the scientists get the strain right....to match the flu that circulates this winter. This year they believe it's a good match.

The CDC DID say having COVID didn't provide immunity. See its 8/14/2020 press release entitled, “Updated Isolation Guidance Does Not Imply Immunity to COVID-19.”

From the release: “On August 3, 2020, CDC updated its isolation guidance based on the latest science about COVID-19 showing that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after diagnosis and not be infectious to others.” The media release continued by saying, “Contrary to media reporting today, this science does not imply a person is immune to reinfection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in the 3 months following infection.”

Bold added.

The CDC DID say having COVID didn't provide immunity. See its 8/14/2020 press release entitled, “Updated Isolation Guidance Does Not Imply Immunity to COVID-19.”

From the release: “On August 3, 2020, CDC updated its isolation guidance based on the latest science about COVID-19 showing that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after diagnosis and not be infectious to others.” The media release continued by saying, “Contrary to media reporting today, this science does not imply a person is immune to reinfection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in the 3 months following infection.”

Bold added.
That's not saying it provides no immunity, just that continuing to test positive does not mean you are immune and can't get it again.

Bold added.

All that is saying....is that you can get covid again if you've had it previously, same as you can get the flu multiple times. Trust me, the physicians and scientists at the CDC are aware that an infection would convey a level of immunity......it's literally virology 101. They talked about this nonstop through the pandemic.

One of the big issues is that nobody really knows is the long-term effects of these mRNA shots. It has been reported that the more shots you get, the more IgG4 antibodies are being found. This is a class switch from other antibodies that they didn't expect to see. Is it really that bad? They don't know yet, but increased IgG4 antibodies are found in cancer and immune diseases. It's definitely not what they expected or hoped for. The HIV vaccine that has not been able to be brought to market induced the same IgG4 antibodies. I'm betting more of these surprises will come up as time goes on.

Another big thing is nobody knows the long term effects of long covid.
That's true, but I'll take my chances with covid over the shot which has proved to have some devastating side effects.

ETA: Just that way the mRNA shots work should give pause.....you are going to give me a shot that teaches my cells to make copies of the spike protein. Nothing could go wrong there. No thanks.

All that is saying....is that you can get covid again if you've had it previously, same as you can get the flu multiple times. Trust me, the physicians and scientists at the CDC are aware that an infection would convey a level of immunity......it's literally virology 101. They talked about this nonstop through the pandemic.

I mean the CDC might be aware of this (I mean I know they are aware of this) but the implication from everyone in government was that naturally acquired immunity (from previous infection) was inferior. How do I know this? When vaccines were mandated (for governmental agencies/for schools/for travel/for businesses) there was never an exception for those who had a documented case of Covid. And all that was ever required was the initial series, never a booster. So someone who had the vaccine 2 years ago? Good to go. You had Covid 2 months ago? Nope. It made no sense. So yeah of course scientists were aware that previous infection conferred immunity (because virology 101) but this just didn’t transfer to public policy. There were so many people on these boards/in real life who would argue that because they had (just the primary series!) that they were somehow more protected than someone who actually had Covid! They didn’t create this from whole cloth. It was insinuated again and again by public figures and public policy.

Timely thread. My DD(20) just tested positive and I was around her all weekend. I didn't think much of her slightly elevated temp of 99.2, but she starts a nursing practicum around babies so told her to test just to be extra cautious. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should change any of my plans. I was supposed to fly to Fresno and spend some time at Yosemite this week.

I mean the CDC might be aware of this (I mean I know they are aware of this) but the implication from everyone in government was that naturally acquired immunity (from previous infection) was inferior. How do I know this? When vaccines were mandated (for governmental agencies/for schools/for travel/for businesses) there was never an exception for those who had a documented case of Covid. And all that was ever required was the initial series, never a booster. So someone who had the vaccine 2 years ago? Good to go. You had Covid 2 months ago? Nope. It made no sense. So yeah of course scientists were aware that previous infection conferred immunity (because virology 101) but this just didn’t transfer to public policy. There were so many people on these boards/in real life who would argue that because they had (just the primary series!) that they were somehow more protected than someone who actually had Covid! They didn’t create this from whole cloth. It was insinuated again and again by public figures and public policy.
Thank you!!! The CDC poo-pooed natural immunity and made it sound like you had to get the shots to get better immunity. I saw studies that refuted this pretty quickly.

:flower3:Very sorry to hear of all the people you lost. Do your results correspond to who was or wasn’t vaccinated? All our experiences just seems so random in so many ways...how much more secure we’d all feel if we could just make solid sense of it.

Thank you, and the others, for your sympathy.
Some people had the first vax, some had
been boosted, but not all.
The one connection most of them had
was no mask.

Everyone that I mentioned that have never
had Covid (to the best of their knowledge)
wore a mask from the beginning & seemed
to be honest about consistently wearing
one, & they are still wearing one when
inside around people.

I forgot to mention that when DH tested
positive we all wore a mask for 6 days
& avoided being around him.

No one knows the long term effects of Covid infection, long term covid, or the vaccines. We all have to take into account our circumstances and personal beliefs and the data that‘s available and make the best decisions we can.

Someone asked me recently if I regretted getting vaccinated. I said no because I made the best decision that I could at the time. But I also said that I didn’t regret not getting my child vaccinated.

Hi,

Just wanted to get your opinions on what you would have possibly done in this situation. Friday night, I went out some of my co-workers. This morning, one of my co-workers called me and told me she is very sick with the Covid (she tested positive this morning). Today, I was supposed to go to one my close friend’s birthday party. I told my friends in the group what happened and they all still wanted to me to come (so far I feel ok and tested negative with an at home test), but I went with my judgement and decided to stay home. It costed me a little money as I contributed towards the party, but I didn’t want to take any chances. What would you have done?

Thanks as always.

OP I apologize for not answering you.
No, I wouldn't have gone.
IMHO you did the right thing.
Thank you 👍

All medications, no matter how they are delivered, have the potential for side effects. These vaccines have been out now for nearly 2 years and has an excellent safety record for such an incredibly fast uptake.
The side effect profile in real-life is much worse than the benefit for most people. Have you not seen the many people having major side effects with this shot? If you are only using mainstream media, you won't. It's probably why booster uptake is so low. I know many who say they will never take another covid shot.

I think you have to understand how public health works. They are trying to *safely* deliver immunity as quickly as they can in a controlled manner. Public health officials would prefer that you receive a vaccine that they are highly confident delivers immunity in a safe manner. When someone gets the virus itself, especially someone who is older or younger and compromised in some way.....your body is going to have to fight back the virus on its own. Not all people survive that process. Many, many more of those people do....if they receive the vaccine and not the virus.

81% of the U.S population has received at least one dose of the vaccine. This is why, with a covid wave, like we're experiencing now, covid hospitalizations have risen by 20%, but deaths are still the lowest they've been since the beginning of the pandemic. That's because our older population....received the vaccine.

There was an article I read awhile back that said that up to 7% of people are immune to covid. This could account for people who have never had it (vaccinated or not). My youngest DD and nephew have never shown symptoms despite being exposed many times.

The side effect profile in real-life is much worse than the benefit for most people. Have you not seen the many people having major side effects with this shot? If you are only using mainstream media, you won't. It's probably why booster uptake is so low. I know many who say they will never take another covid shot.

You should be far more concerned about long covid than any side effects from the vaccine. The mRNA vaccine does not stay in your body.....it doesn't even enter your cells, it simply teaches your immune system to recognize SARS COV2, and exits. This is a fact....we know this. It liiterally instructs our immune system how to fight it....without our bodies going into a full-force immune response that many with diminished immune systems can't survive.

But...you're never going to try and understand the science behind it. You've made up your mind, which is fine. Your use of the term "main stream media" tells me that you have a deep mistrust in our government. Conspiracy theories are all the rage these days. But what you're spreading is disinformation. And this kind of thinking may harm you in the future....because you may need lots of different medications as you age, and now you have a genuine distrust in science. I was a critical care nurse for over a decade, and I trust doctors and science. So...we're not likely to agree on any of this. Which is fine of course....it's what makes the world go around.

I don't know anyone who had a worse time with the vaccine than with covid itself. The worst is my sister, who says it feels like having covid for a day, which is much better than the 10 days of misery she had with actual infection (pre-vaccine).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter