What would you expect-bad shellfish??

Hopscotch

Mouseketeer
Went out to dinner last night with DS11 and DS15. Went to a moderately priced restaurant (entrees run $14-$24). It's near a ski area so it attracts a lot of tourists. It bills itself as a steak and seafood restaurant (it's in the name). We've eaten there before and it's always been good.

My DS11 got a kids meal. I got a baked stuffed haddock and DS 15 got a seafood Alfredo with scallops and shrimp. Meals came. I tried my DS's pasta and it was good. About. 1/3 if the way through the meal I ask my son for a scallop. He gives me a 1/2 and eats the other half. It tastes bad, really bad. It's the first one he's tried. He then smells the scallops and they stink. I mean they smell like rotten trash. We wait about 10 minutes till I see the waiter again & I tell him that the scallops are bad. He takes the plate away and says they will take care of it. I was unsure what he was going to do at this point as we certainly didn't want another order of the same dish. He comes out a few minutes later and apologizes and asks if my son wants something else. He orders a kids meal at this point.

My questions is, what would you expect to happen in terms of the check? Also, the manager was around and was seating people. Would you expect him to come over and say anything? I'm assuming this could have made us ill but luckily didn't although we both felt a little queasy for a couple hours (might have been just the thought of eating it).

I won't say what they did or didn't do as I'm just curious what people would expect them to do. I was okay with the outcome, I didn't make a big deal out of it and we left. Don't think we'll be going back.

Last edited:
Went out to dinner last night with DS11 and DS15. Went to a moderately priced restaurant (entrees run $14-$24). It's near a ski area so it attracts a lot of tourists. It bills itself as a steak and seafood restaurant (it's in the name). We've eaten there before and it's always been good.

My DS11 got a kids meal. I got a baked stuffed haddock and DS 15 got a seafood Alfredo with scallops and shrimp. Meals came. I tried my DS's pasta and it was good. About. 1/3 if the way through the meal I ask my son for a scallop. He gives me a 1/2 and eats the other half. It tastes bad, really bad. It's the first one he's tried. He then smells the scallops and they stink. I mean they smell like rotten trash. We wait about 10 minutes till I see the waiter again & I tell him that the scallops are bad. He takes the plate away and says they will take care of it. I was unsure what he was going to do at this point as we certainly didn't want another order of the same dish. He comes out a few minutes later and apologizes and asks if my son wants something else. He orders a kids meal at this point.

My questions is, what would you expect to happen in terms of the check? Also, the manager was around and was seating people. Would you expect him to come over and say anything? I'm assuming this could have made us ill but luckily didn't although we both felt a little queasy for a couple hours (might have been just the thought of eating it).

I won't say what they did or didn't do as I'm just curious what people would expect them to do. I was okay with the outcome, I didn't make a big deal out of it and we left. Donny think we'll be going back.

Personally, I’d hope that the meal was deducted from my cheque, but that’s as far as I’d go. I wouldn’t expect the manager to come over but it would be a nice extra if he did.

I would expect the bad meal to be taken off the bill for sure.
I think I would have expected the kids meal to be free for the inconvenience of 1) actually eating part meal that had bad seafood in it and 2) having to order something he really didn't want so that he had some dinner.
I also would have expected the manager to come over because that is good customer service.
Having said that, the only thing I would have made an issue of if it wasn't done was taking the seafood meal off the bill.

Remove the bad meal from the check. I would expect to pay for the replacement meal, but if it was free that would be a nice bonus. I wouldn't need to have a visit with a manager, as they are the ones who comp checks, so he would have been made aware of it. Going forward, I'd rethink returning to that restaurant though. There is no excuse for serving food that is so bad that it smells in a COOKED state. The lack of attention to that back in the kitchen would make me question their sanitation practices as a whole.

Bad meal taken off the check. Anything else would have been a bonus. It would have been nice if the waiter would have asked what your son wanted to replace it right away but he could have been new and not known exactly what to do and had to go ask first.

If they didn't take the bad meal off the check I would have asked to speak to the manager and probably never go there again.

I would expect the bad meal to be taken off. If they comped the kids meal, that would be going the extra mile.

We had something similar happen about a year ago. Took my daughter out to sushi, and the salmon smelled off. We didn't eat the salmon pieces, but the chef disagreed about their freshness and said they were fine. He refused to take them off the bill, so we will never go back. We used to eat there a lot, but now I warn people to stay away. Honestly, I think they changed management, because I've read lots of newer bad Yelp reviews.

My expectation:
Bad meal taken off (if not the manager would have been called over).
Kids meal should have been comped.

I won't say what they did or didn't do as I'm just curious what people would expect them to do. I was okay with the outcome, I didn't make a big deal out of it and we left. Don't think we'll be going back.

I agree with pretty much what everyone else said, the very least they needed to do was not charge you for the bad food, to comp the replacement kids meal would have been nice. I do think the manager dropped the ball by not going a step further--maybe throwing in a dessert or perhaps reducing the total bill. Not that they should do that but in so doing they might have not lost your family from their clientele permanently. At WDW this is known as "guest recovery." This is when a mistake has been made but they go over and above to make it right so that you come away from the experience in a positive frame of mind.

Last edited:
I would have expected the bad seafood dish to have been taken off the bill, and I would expect there to be no charge for the kids meal that replaced it. If it wasn't super busy, I might have expected the manager to come over and talk to you about it.
This except I would have expected the manager to come talk to me no matter if they were busy or not.

Agree bad meal taken off- I wouldn’t expect replacement taken off (you were going to pay for the person to eat)- but if free meal that’s above expectations.

If server apologized that’s fine- would be nice if manager came by but again no big deal.

Care to update what they did?

The manager should have visited your table made sure replacement meal was up to power and either offered free dessert or a free meal of your choice on your next visit. I have received both over the years when food or service was not satisfactory.

Obviously the bad meal should be taken off.

Kids meal should be comped, but if not, it would not be a huge deal.

Nice if manager stopped over to apologize, but not necessary.

We went out once and DH's chicken was raw in the middle. As soon as he cut it open, you could tell. Thankfully he did not eat any. The waiter took it away and had the kitchen immediately cook a new one. It was taken off the bill and we were given free dessert. Manager came over to apologize.

The bad meal should be removed.

That's all I would expect. They already apologized and replaced the meal with something of your choice. The manager was busy and I wouldn't expect him to stop by when it was already handled correctly. Anything else would just be extra and it seems silly to expect it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter