What would you eat??

My top 3 -
Rancho del Zocalo citrus chicken
Plaza Inn fried chicken
Pizza Port chicken fusilli

Yeah, I like chicken.

First--- This wouldn't happen to me because even for 1 day solo trip, I would get hoppers. DL/CA is basically like one big park-takes 5 minutes to get out of one and into the other. My first adult DL trip was a single day with DH when I brought him along on a business trip. We hopped between parks and got a ton done. We loved it so much that we have been back on several multi-day trips with DD. Looks like you are a WDW vet-- if it is your first trip to DL and you can afford it, I would strongly suggest getting a hopper, even if it is only to go see Carsland and single rider RSR. I would probably do all, or most of, my eating at CA on a single day trip. Just the thought of a 1 day solo trip hopping between the parks makes me excited-- I could get a ton done on my own in the parks!

BUT-- assuming that we are strictly talking DL, I am the odd man out that will say being a person from the Mid-West who has eaten Fried Chicken in the Mid-West and South far more than on the West Coast- I hated the Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn. Maybe DD and I just got our plates from a bad batch, but it was not good. It was extremely greasy and there wasn't much meat on it either. I love Fried Chicken too. Plaza Inn was probably the worst I have ever had. I don't know if it is a Mid-West/Southern cooking difference, or if we just had bad luck that day. It isn't a "Disney" issue, because we love the Fried Chicken at 50's Prime Time at WDW. Not sure if we had an unusual experience with what we got at Plaza Inn- but it was bad enough that we were once and done there.

It really depends on what you are interested in eating. I think on the whole CS at DL/CA is better than most of what you can find at WDW. If you like corn dogs-- the Main Street Corn Dog Wagon is great. If you are looking for a salad- I like the Asian chicken salad at Pizza Port- DD likes their Spaghetti and DH likes their fusilli. We like Rancho del Zocalo if you are looking for Mexican. We used to enjoy Hungry Bear- but they changed the menu and we don't think the food is as good and with the Star Wars land construction all the nice views were closed off our last trip. Mickey head Beignets in the French Quarter are a must. It is not CS, but Carnation Café is usually very easy to get into and has pretty fast service and the Potato Soup there is great. Just like WDW, the menus are all posted at allears.net so you can look at them and see what appeals to you. On the whole, the CS service food there is fairly decent. Also, unlike WDW, if you do decide you want TS, if you get on the app, you can often book a same day reservation. We've booked them an hour before the meal before- you can walk up-- but it can shorten the wait if you book on the app.

I would do Jolly Holiday, love the chips and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Also, the Mickey shaped raspberry macaroon is a favorite. Royal Street Veranda, I like the chowder or gumbo in a bread bowl from there. Lots of seating at Rancho del Zocalo, while still being CS, is a good stop as well.

If you are craving a cold sandwich: Jolly Holiday Bakery

If you are craving a hot sandwich: French Dip at French Market (this place has even better chips than JH)

If you are STARVING: Plaza Inn Fried Chicken (but it is SO much for one person)

If you want a salad: Planetary Pizza Salad at Pizza Port

If you want a healthy/lighter option: skewers at Bengal BBQ (I like the asparagus and the sweet beef one)

For me, I would have lunch at the French Market because there is good food, live music (sometimes) and a great view of New Orleans Square. I really like the French Dip Sandwich and the mint julep. For dinner, I would go to the Plaza Inn and get the fried chicken dinner. If I'm looking for a snack, I'd head to the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe for one of their really yummy desserts (I really like the raspberry Mickey Macaron).

I second what @figment_jii said. Anything at the French Market or Mint Julep bar so you can eat while listening to live music (when the band is there). I've had soup in a bread bowl there and it's tasty, filling, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (~$10).

Also, anything from Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe or Coke Corner so you can eat it while the ragtime piano player is playing music. There's great atmosphere in that location.

I also love the Hungry Bear for the atmosphere, but not when the big screens are up. We used to get the fried green tomato sandwich there all the time, but now the food isn't quite as appealing since they moved the fried green tomato sandwich to Cafe Orleans.

I saw on a Fresh Baked Disney video the other day that you can order a corn chip chili cheese pie at the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe, but it's not on the menu. Secret menu item!

Also, anything from Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe or Coke Corner so you can eat it while the ragtime piano player is playing music. There's great atmosphere in that location.

That sounds like a great idea! Is there a schedule of when they are playing? Thanks! I'm making notes for my upcoming trip!

That sounds like a great idea! Is there a schedule of when they are playing? Thanks! I'm making notes for my upcoming trip!
The piano player is there several times a day starting around lunch time. They will have the times listed in the printed entertainment guide for the day when you are there.

Fried chicken at Plaza Inn and soup in a bread bowl with a lobster roll at Harbor Galley, supplemented by Safari Skewers at Bengal BBQ.

First--- This wouldn't happen to me because even for 1 day solo trip, I would get hoppers. DL/CA is basically like one big park-takes 5 minutes to get out of one and into the other. My first adult DL trip was a single day with DH when I brought him along on a business trip. We hopped between parks and got a ton done. We loved it so much that we have been back on several multi-day trips with DD. Looks like you are a WDW vet-- if it is your first trip to DL and you can afford it, I would strongly suggest getting a hopper, even if it is only to go see Carsland and single rider RSR. I would probably do all, or most of, my eating at CA on a single day trip. Just the thought of a 1 day solo trip hopping between the parks makes me excited-- I could get a ton done on my own in the parks!

BUT-- assuming that we are strictly talking DL, I am the odd man out that will say being a person from the Mid-West who has eaten Fried Chicken in the Mid-West and South far more than on the West Coast- I hated the Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn. Maybe DD and I just got our plates from a bad batch, but it was not good. It was extremely greasy and there wasn't much meat on it either. I love Fried Chicken too. Plaza Inn was probably the worst I have ever had. I don't know if it is a Mid-West/Southern cooking difference, or if we just had bad luck that day. It isn't a "Disney" issue, because we love the Fried Chicken at 50's Prime Time at WDW. Not sure if we had an unusual experience with what we got at Plaza Inn- but it was bad enough that we were once and done there.

It really depends on what you are interested in eating. I think on the whole CS at DL/CA is better than most of what you can find at WDW. If you like corn dogs-- the Main Street Corn Dog Wagon is great. If you are looking for a salad- I like the Asian chicken salad at Pizza Port- DD likes their Spaghetti and DH likes their fusilli. We like Rancho del Zocalo if you are looking for Mexican. We used to enjoy Hungry Bear- but they changed the menu and we don't think the food is as good and with the Star Wars land construction all the nice views were closed off our last trip. Mickey head Beignets in the French Quarter are a must. It is not CS, but Carnation Café is usually very easy to get into and has pretty fast service and the Potato Soup there is great. Just like WDW, the menus are all posted at allears.net so you can look at them and see what appeals to you. On the whole, the CS service food there is fairly decent. Also, unlike WDW, if you do decide you want TS, if you get on the app, you can often book a same day reservation. We've booked them an hour before the meal before- you can walk up-- but it can shorten the wait if you book on the app.
I'm a Texan and feel the same way about BBQ at Disneyland! I'm a total BBQ snob! Also stay away from Mexican food because I live on the Mexican Border and get the best at home.

Midnightred

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter