What Would You Do?

SoloDisFan

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

I have an upcoming solo trip for 7 days. Most days are scheduled for MK and Epcot. I have one day reserved for Hollywood Studios. Usually, I park hop on Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios days as there isn't enough I'm interested in doing at these parks for a whole day.

Since park hopper is not an option, I am having trouble deciding what to do. I am truly only interested in trying two rides at HS: MMRR and ROTR. The long wait times for MMRR are stressing me out. And, there is obviously no guarantee that I will get a boarding group for ROTR. The idea of having to strategize to get to the park early and get on that line and grab that boarding group is actually making me feel anxious. As a matter of fact, the whole lead up to this trip has been worry about lines and crowds with very little focus on enjoying the anticipation of going to WDW.
I am fortunate in that I have been to WDW frequently, though with the pandemic I have no idea when a future trip will happen. These are two rides I have not been on and have wanted to enjoy.

So, my question is would you think it better to cancel my day at HS as it only involves wanting to go on two rides I've never been on and add another Epcot day? I love meandering at Epcot. Or would you make the effort to try and accomplish what is becoming a stressful proposition? It's as if the idea of enjoyment isn't even entering the equation at this point, if this makes sense.

I should also mention that I have an ADR at Sci Fi which would not break my heart to miss.

Honestly, a trip to Disney is not about worry, it should be about fun. I would cancel the trip and rebook for when things lighten up a little.

If any part of your trip will stress you out then don't do it. Do what you enjoy doing. If you want to do those rides then I would recommend taking one day to get there early and get the ROTR first and then get into the line for MMRR and just wait. If you have no other priorities there then just go and do those things without stress. Download a game to play in line or even a movie. Most lines go by quicker then we think. Above all take the stress out of your life. I mean isn't vacation suppose to get you away from normal life?

Since DHS is the one park that is consistently having long lines and you are not guaranteed a boarding group for RotR, I would forego that one this trip and just concentrate on having fun at the other parks.

I may have a different perspective. You shouldn't stress about the wait. Think about before the pandemic - the waits for both these rides/getting a boarding group would be just as in demand. If it were me, I would go to HS for a day - try for a boarding group...you have two chances at it and just wait in line for MMRR. Right now I checked wait times and it was 85 minutes. If I were solo, I would download a good book on my Kindle app on my phone and wait.

I love HS and I love just walking around the park and looking in shops. I also like more of the rides than you do, but I if I wanted to ride these two rides, I would not stress and just enjoy the downtime of waiting. Leave the park when you are ready and meander around Disney Springs for the rest of the day/evening.

If any part of your trip will stress you out then don't do it. Do what you enjoy doing. If you want to do those rides then I would recommend taking one day to get there early and get the ROTR first and then get into the line for MMRR and just wait. If you have no other priorities there then just go and do those things without stress. Download a game to play in line or even a movie. Most lines go by quicker then we think. Above all take the stress out of your life. I mean isn't vacation suppose to get you away from normal life?
I truly appreciate all of your responses. I have been going through a very difficult time (who isn't right now?) And it seems anxiety and fear are daily demons. I would love to go on this trip and just take it for what it is. I typically enjoy all the planning and lead up to WDW. I just haven't been able to let go and let things be the way they will this time. That is what I really want. I want to go and just take in what I can. I'm just having a hard time getting there. I've lost the ability to relax I guess.

You have 7 days, I say go for it. If you’re still feeling anxious when you get there you could leave. I think you should at least try. And I understand how you feel. My last solo trip I wasn’t even going to go to HS for similar reasons. My husband is the one who talked me into it saying how he enjoys HS old Hollywood vibe. (Never knew it.) I was anxious the lines to get in would be long, anxious about getting there on time, anxious about getting a boarding group ...
Once I got there it was fine. I did leave early though because I wasn’t able to get a boarding group. (I suffer from an anxiety disorder, so I completely understand your concerns.)

o, my question is would you think it better to cancel my day at HS as it only involves wanting to go on two rides I've never been on and add another Epcot day?
I know some have said just skip HS , but my thought was to actually plan an extra day at HS and maybe one less at the other parks. That is only the case if hitting those HS rides are a must. If you add a day it would increase your chances of getting on RoTR and hopefully decrease your stress level. Otherwise keep in mind that the ride is not going anywhere so you could certainly hit it in the future.

We are going next month and have been stressing about crowds and wait times, BUT I have changed my attitude. We will be back in April so this trip we will take our time, get on what we can and just enjoy being there. Aside from getting ADR's I love not having to worry about FPs. That really frees up our plans. Planning for this trip has been so much more relaxing now that i have the outlook that we will ride what we want to ride if we can. This is coming from a super planner, spreadsheet lovin, lets plan every minute of every day person. I have to be thankful that we are healthy (knock on wood) and can financially afford to travel to WDW.

We're at WDW now, have been for a week. I've been to HS a few times and I can note the following:

1. Splitting up the passes into two times of day seems to work as intended, reducing crowds at rope drop.
2. The wait times for MMRR seem to be more accurate than others, but are still somewhat inflated. I'd assume a 15-20% haircut on posted times.
3. Other lines, like Toy Story Midway Mania, are consistently short. We've ridden Midway Mania multiple times and it's essentially a walk-on.

Happy to answer other questions for this or any other park. We've been going just about every day.

If you really only want to do two rides at HS and nothing else, my fear for you is that by 11am or noon, you're done (assuming you get a good ROTR BG). So I might lean towards another Epcot day if you would enjoy that more. And save HS for when park hopping returns.

I truly appreciate all of your responses. I have been going through a very difficult time (who isn't right now?) And it seems anxiety and fear are daily demons. I would love to go on this trip and just take it for what it is. I typically enjoy all the planning and lead up to WDW. I just haven't been able to let go and let things be the way they will this time. That is what I really want. I want to go and just take in what I can. I'm just having a hard time getting there. I've lost the ability to relax I guess.

Oops! Didn't mean to reply to my own post.

I would plan a day at HS. There is much more to see than just those rides. Since you haven't been on them, I am assuming you haven't checked out that area of the park. The theming there is amazing and you could spend a good bit of time just wandering and taking in the details. We spent the better part of 2 days taking it all in about this time last year and I can only assume it is even better now that ROTR is open.

You have 7 days, I say go for it. If you’re still feeling anxious when you get there you could leave. I think you should at least try. And I understand how you feel. My last solo trip I wasn’t even going to go to HS for similar reasons. My husband is the one who talked me into it saying how he enjoys HS old Hollywood vibe. (Never knew it.) I was anxious the lines to get in would be long, anxious about getting there on time, anxious about getting a boarding group ...
Once I got there it was fine. I did leave early though because I wasn’t able to get a boarding group. (I suffer from an anxiety disorder, so I completely understand your concerns.)
Thanks so much for sharing this.

HS has been so busy, we have been there a few times at opening. There are lines immediately ( we haven't been on weekends, but maybe I'm picking bad weekdays🤔.) I am with a previous poster, if HS is a favorite park, and you aren't going with kids, I'd schedule 2 days there. Epcot hasn't ' felt' the same to us since reopening. Have a great trip, just try to go with the flow and have fun!

I may have a different perspective. You shouldn't stress about the wait. Think about before the pandemic - the waits for both these rides/getting a boarding group would be just as in demand. If it were me, I would go to HS for a day - try for a boarding group...you have two chances at it and just wait in line for MMRR. Right now I checked wait times and it was 85 minutes. If I were solo, I would download a good book on my Kindle app on my phone and wait.

That's exactly what I was going to say, too. The BG rush was a nightmare before Covid, and it will be after. MMRR was brand new and a mad rush before Covid and will be after. If there's only a couple things OP wants to ride, that actually makes for a less stressful day than trying to do every single thing in the park. Get there early, hit MMRR and know you'll be in line for awhile (45-90 minutes), bring something to do on your phone, and be done. A lot of people are getting MMRR done either before the 10am BG drop or shortly thereafter, so why stress about getting on that ride?

ROTR will be stressful until or unless they get rid of the BG rush, which they don't seem likely to do any time soon even once Covid isn't a concern. If anything, with capped attendance, it's more likely you'll get a BG now than if the park were allowed to fill to capacity, and they have the second drop at 2 so you can try again if you miss out at 10.

So go, do your one day at HS, either hit MMRR early or at the end of the day, and "practice" getting a BG before you go.

I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

I have an upcoming solo trip for 7 days. Most days are scheduled for MK and Epcot. I have one day reserved for Hollywood Studios. Usually, I park hop on Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios days as there isn't enough I'm interested in doing at these parks for a whole day.

Since park hopper is not an option, I am having trouble deciding what to do. I am truly only interested in trying two rides at HS: MMRR and ROTR. The long wait times for MMRR are stressing me out. And, there is obviously no guarantee that I will get a boarding group for ROTR. The idea of having to strategize to get to the park early and get on that line and grab that boarding group is actually making me feel anxious. As a matter of fact, the whole lead up to this trip has been worry about lines and crowds with very little focus on enjoying the anticipation of going to WDW.
I am fortunate in that I have been to WDW frequently, though with the pandemic I have no idea when a future trip will happen. These are two rides I have not been on and have wanted to enjoy.

So, my question is would you think it better to cancel my day at HS as it only involves wanting to go on two rides I've never been on and add another Epcot day? I love meandering at Epcot. Or would you make the effort to try and accomplish what is becoming a stressful proposition? It's as if the idea of enjoyment isn't even entering the equation at this point, if this makes sense.

I should also mention that I have an ADR at Sci Fi which would not break my heart to miss.
I'd book two days at Epcot, but know in advance all the construction that is going on there. You can leave Epcot and walk around the boardwalk and go back in on one of the days. Just keep in mind that it's all going to be a bit weird this year. Go with the attitude that you'll have more time to grab a drink and people watch/enjoy the surroundings and just be happy! I love Hollywood Studios and just love being there. I know not much is open without the shows, but will still go and make the best of it. I'll ride the same ride more than once. My daughter and I were there years back and it was a rainy morning and the park was empty - we rode Tower of Terror seven times in a row - a walk on.....and it was so much fun. I'm excited to go into Oga's for a drink. Try not to be anxious about the planning.

Honestly, a trip to Disney is not about worry, it should be about fun. I would cancel the trip and rebook for when things lighten up a little.

Yep. Disney is not Disney right now in my not so informed opinion. We just cancelled December.

I’d keep the HS day because, as previous posters said, it’s not going to get much better in a post-COVID world. In fact, if you’re not a morning person, the boarding group thing will be more stressful once they can have earlier park openings again. I saw a lovely sunrise waiting for a BG back in January, trapped in the middle of a giant crowd, waiting for 7am to hit, and still ended up with a really high BG (ended up getting pixie-dusted to a low number during a random, unrelated, convo with a great CM, but that didn’t really make up for having to get up before 6 am on my vacation)532309

I’m in the same boat! The only things I want to do is ride those two rides. Well others if the waits are not long. With the crowds lately and no fastpasses my hopes for riding is low. The thought of rushing to HS to hit the join button at just the right time and getting in line for MMRR is making me anxious. It doesn’t sound like a fun morning.
We are going to try though. If it works out great if not, oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter