What would you do? Staycation with 2 year old?

Jonathan Friedman

Mouseketeer
Well...my wife and I booked through a private seller a DVC rental for AKL Savannah View room in September for 8 nights. The seller, which I understand, won’t refund our room cost. While we are carriers of antibodies (I was sick, not at all seriously), we still have some concerns. That said, when Disney announced all have to wear masks, 3 and older, we decided to go but skip the parks entirely and do a staycation and see some family. Then Disney changed it to 2 and older. There’s no possible way he’d wear a mask religiously. It appears now we are going to lose a couple grand and have to plan something else for that week. Any opinions on this? What would you do?

I’d just stay home and plan a staycation there. We took a week at the end of June. We were very mindful of it. Planned nice meals, made a list of activities we would enjoy (campfire, s’mores, movie nights, game nights, bike riding, hiking, swimming in the pool, sleepover for the kids—they’re twins—just sleeping over in the other’s room). I cleaned the house before the vacation started, changed out all the linens, really prepared.

Surprisingly, we had a great time. It felt like a real holiday. We are planning another week the first week in September. Seriously, with everything going on, home is where I’m most comfortable right now and where I can have the most fun.

Not sure when u booked.. but U felt safe enough to go as a family I’d assume. So, ur worried about the little one and not being able to keep the mask on/deal with it? Start practicing, make it fun and special.. get a special one for him.. Disney character perhaps? I’d not lose the money. It’s a great resort and has a lovely pool and ambiance. It’s still a vacation and I think lowering the expectations may help all of you.
Now... if ur changing ur mind because of Covid concerns Unrelated to the mask, I get it. Personally think ur gutsy to go anywhere near Disney. But that’s me, as an immune-compromised person.
Whatever you decide... have a Fun, safe break away from home!

Truthfully we’d feel safe. Disney seems to have it pretty well covered from what we’ve seen. The greatest concern would be the little guy keeping a mask on.

If you can drive I would go and never leave AKL. The resort is wonderful. Pool is relaxing.
But the OP's issue is that even AKL requires a mask to be warn everywhere except at pool and eating.
OP, like a PP mentioned start having him wear one now for a few minutes a day and then maybe get him a special mask (character or super hero etc.) that he gets when you arrive at the resort.

I'd plan a resort only vacation. Your toddler won't need to wear a mask in the room or at the pool and will enjoy just watching the animals on the savannah. If you can get your 2 year old to wear the mask for awhile, then a trip to Disney Springs for dinner and/or dessert could be fun too. I'd maybe recommend renting a car if you are flying in so you have some flexibility too. ( none of you would need to wear the mask in the car ride over. )

IMO, a stay at the resort would be wayyyy better than loosing a few thousand dollars.

Ultimately, it would depend on what you are comfortable with. Would you be driving or flying? If driving and it's not that far, maybe go and make it a resort-only stay. As you will have a Savannah view room, you can all go out on the balcony and enjoy the view of the animals.

Just remember, a few thousand dollars is not enough to risk the health of you and your family.

As to wearing a mask you might try something like tnis. I have a 3 year old grandson who would not wear one. I go him one with a Captain America shield on it. I call him the Masked Avenger when he wears it. No more issues when wearing masks. We make a game out of it. And you could spend several days AKL just wondering there easily. The little one loves AKL.

Well...my wife and I booked through a private seller a DVC rental for AKL Savannah View room in September for 8 nights. The seller, which I understand, won’t refund our room cost. While we are carriers of antibodies (I was sick, not at all seriously), we still have some concerns. That said, when Disney announced all have to wear masks, 3 and older, we decided to go but skip the parks entirely and do a staycation and see some family. Then Disney changed it to 2 and older. There’s no possible way he’d wear a mask religiously. It appears now we are going to lose a couple grand and have to plan something else for that week. Any opinions on this? What would you do?
I also have the antibodies....was sick before we knew what Covid was....we all were.....we're booked at POP beginning of Sept. I would go....and I would even do some parks if ya can there are spots open. I think Disney is doing it right.....they are trying to make it work...and they are going over and above on safety. Do your best with the childs mask.....if anyone can get some leeway...it would be a small child. Hope it works out for you!

Ultimately, it would depend on what you are comfortable with. Would you be driving or flying? If driving and it's not that far, maybe go and make it a resort-only stay. As you will have a Savannah view room, you can all go out on the balcony and enjoy the view of the animals.

Just remember, a few thousand dollars is not enough to risk the health of you and your family.
We live outside Atlanta so it’s just a 6 hour drive, no flying needed.

My son just turned 3, and we went to Dollywood where he was required to wear a mask. We would not have gone at all except we had already booked and paid for everything before this all started.

So, in prep for this, we did as others have suggested here. We started practicing with him a couple weeks ahead of time. He resisted, but over time he adjusted. By the time we went on our trip there were zero issues. He did great.

Again, he JUST turned 3. So if yours is closer to 2, you will likely have more work ahead of you. But there's a good chance it is doable.

One of the more frustrating thing is Universal Studios and all other theme parks from what I’ve found is 3 and older, per CDC guidelines. Disney is alone with the 2 year thing. Any guess on if they’d adapt the 3 year old rule by September?

We have a 3 year old and will have the same mask challenge whenever we are allowed to come back (we are UK)

Our last trip he was 2 and had no desire to wear a hat or sunscreen, but we managed, either through bribery or ultimatums (no hat no swimming!) so I feel a mask would be no harder / easier than any other toddler demands! Good luck and I say go for it (and pack plenty of bribes :rotfl2: )

I think we are running out of time (45 days) to get him accustomed to a mask :(

Plenty of time, have you tried him with one yet? Might surprise you. Honestly I wouldn't let it stop you having a great trip, if you are comfortable with traveling and a resort stay, don't let the mask thing stop you

Plenty of time, have you tried him with one yet? Might surprise you. Honestly I wouldn't let it stop you having a great trip, if you are comfortable with traveling and a resort stay, don't let the mask thing stop you
Exactly. Kids are surprisingly adaptable... and easily conned. The part that really seems to click for them is modeling. We prepped our toddler for a mask-required trip by wearing masks and all getting really (fake) excited about it. Like "oooh, I love your mask, it has mickey's on it" and "we're wearing masks so we get to go swim in a fun fun pool, yay!" and "which mask do you choose? That's an AWESOME MASK" It's contagious--if they see the grown ups having fun with masks, they want to be in on the "fun" too.

Given you would lose the money if you don't go AND you are comfortable going in the first place - I'd go. Maybe hold off on buying park tickets until you see how well you can teach him to wear a mask between now and then. As a PP said - kids are observant and learn a ton by modelling the behavior of others. You likely have time. And if you don't think you can get through a park day and your 2 yo like the pool and animal watching - I think you can still have great fun without going to a park. Or maybe you pick a day at Legoland - even though you are staying at WDW.

Plenty of time, have you tried him with one yet? Might surprise you.
Exactly. Kids are surprisingly adaptable... and easily conned. The part that really seems to click for them is modeling. We prepped our toddler for a mask-required trip by wearing masks and all getting really (fake) excited about it. Like "oooh, I love your mask, it has mickey's on it" and "we're wearing masks so we get to go swim in a fun fun pool, yay!" and "which mask do you choose? That's an AWESOME MASK" It's contagious--if they see the grown ups having fun with masks, they want to be in on the "fun" too.

Exactly this!! If you present it to him as "You probably won't like this, but..." it's an almost definite he won't and will pitch a fit. But if you present it to him as something fun and exciting odds are he will buy into it 100%. Most children will read what the parents expect - even if you don't think you're putting off any vibes. (I've seen it on cruise ships. Kids running around having the time of their lives, displaying NO signs of seasickness, but then mom or dad says "Are you feeling ok? Are you sure? You're not feeling sick? We're sailing - are you sure you're not feeling seasick?" and within moments the kid is "I don't feel good. I think I'm seasick!")

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter