What would you do/recommend in my position?

I know your wife hates the contemporary, but have you stayed at BLT? The one-bedrooms there are quite spacious and have an extra bathroom. Maybe do split stay of VGF and BLT to see how you like the DVC side. I am not a fan of the contemporary, but I do like BLT.
I would wait for VGF to go on sale and add on to your existing contract. After that I would also consider BLT for their one-bedroom with the extra-bath.

We’ve used the boat from CCV with a stroller without any issues. Every other boat is handicap accessible so you can roll right on. However, my best advice would be to rent a car and stay where ever you want.

I am laughing at everyone that is pushing BLT. He has been pretty adamant that his wife hates CR. I think all of you are trying to get him in trouble. 😂
You know what’s funny?

I told her all the internet people basically said “just how much does she hate the contemporary? Because it sounds like BLT might be the best fit for you” and the two of us spent this evening watching BLT tour videos and she’s actually warming up to it.

She likes the lobby and grounds, which are a big improvement over the god awful Contemporary lobby (apologies if you actually like it). The rooms still aren’t exactly to her taste, but the point chart is…

I think the minimum is up to 150 now! :crazy2:

Thanks for the explanation, this makes sense. I just haven't had to deal with having separate contracts before.

Adding on 50 (or maybe even a few more) directly at VGF when VGF2 goes on sale seems like it's probably the most sensible option.
That's what I would probably do, but.. the new building is studios only and we don't know what this means for 1BR availability in the future. Currently they are the last to go, but it's possible they might become more difficult to book once more owners will look at larger rooms and most of the resort is studios.
If you can plan 11 months out it won't probably be a problem for 1BR, but there is a small risk, especially if you won't be able to book until nearer the 7 months mark.

I would keep your 50-pointer GF and plan to add on for GF2. They're building a new category of deluxe studios that will ease the pinch on studios from OG-GF, and one-bedrooms are the last to go everywhere. It's a gorgeous resort with lots of conveniences for MK.

I am with your wife on loving one-bedrooms, disliking BLT, LOL, and wanting RR for eventual couples-only Epcot festival trips and HS for more mature rides as the kids grow up.

I will say, our kids LOVE RR, and as a parent, I really like the smaller footprint and think the pool area is laid out really well for small kids. The splash area is convenient to the main pool, close to the hot tub and life jackets and bathrooms -- and Bar Riva. The kids won't always want to be at MK. I agree with a PP -- you probably have another three MK-centric trips if you're going every other year.

As well, it really is crazy how much your travel needs change every freaking year with the kids. We bought anticipating always going early December for 3/4 birthdays of the family and low points. Now the kids got involved in sports and are missing practice/meets, so that's harder to do. Then a pandemic came along, and we did February vacation as a resort-only stay at RR -- and we LOVED being away from the cold and just relaxing at the resort. We had food and alcohol delivered. We never missed the parks, just swam, used the hot tub every night, puttered on the Skyliner hitting Pop and AofA gift shops, walked around CB and had drinks at Banana Cabana. February vacation uses a ton more points, but so worth it. Kids now like HS best for rides, and my husband is an Epcot convert. MK is now third on our priority list of parks, and I lose my mind with the army of strollers, LOL.

The kids won't always be in strollers, needing naps, and packing gear like a pack mule. Our kids are now wearing their own Camelbak backpacks for hydration, can last all day in the parks, and are learning their way around the resort and parks really well! LOL. I can imagine them knowing the nooks and crannies of HS very soon.

RR has a promotion that ends tomorrow. IF you wanted to bite on that one, you have 10 days to cancel and change your mind. You could hedge your bets on RR (or buy GF direct) and wait to see what the next promotion is that comes up, too. Just a thought.

I will say, buy enough for a one-bedroom peak season if you can swing it. GF and RR are very point heavy charts. You can absorb any point inflation, and if you need to eventually upgrade to a two-bedroom, you'll have enough with banking and borrowing (assuming it goes back to normal.)

Do you use the home resort booking window at 11 months? If you do and have a small number of points at 2 different resorts, you might end up with booking split stays at 11 months or use the contracts separately every other year with banking to have enough points for a 1BR. Since there are more 1BR at BLT than VGF, you would have a better chance at 7 months of getting into BLT.

Since your existing contract is relatively small, I would add on at VGF with same UY. This gives you more points to use for 1BRs or longer stays in a resort that can be difficult to book.

Keep your existing contract, especially if you have a blue card. Selling it first would require you to buy a minimum of 150 pts direct. Could sell it later if white card, but you likely paid less per point than you would with either resale now or direct later, even with incentives.

We are all guessing what the cost of VGF2 will be. It might not be $255pp, but it won’t be less than RIV. I don't see any significant incentives coming for smaller point contracts, which is why we just bought a small resale for 55 pts at $175. No way I’d pay close to $200pp resell now, but I was willing to take the risk on a smaller contract. If you have no trips to plan, I would wait and see what VGF2 starts at. If VGF2 starts at $255, resale will stay around $200. If VGF2 starts around RIV at $201, resale will likely drop.

Do you use the home resort booking window at 11 months? If you do and have a small number of points at 2 different resorts, you might end up with booking split stays at 11 months or use the contracts separately every other year with banking to have enough points for a 1BR. Since there are more 1BR at BLT than VGF, you would have a better chance at 7 months of getting into BLT.

Since your existing contract is relatively small, I would add on at VGF with same UY. This gives you more points to use for 1BRs or longer stays in a resort that can be difficult to book.

Keep your existing contract, especially if you have a blue card. Selling it first would require you to buy a minimum of 150 pts direct. Could sell it later if white card, but you likely paid less per point than you would with either resale now or direct later, even with incentives.

We are all guessing what the cost of VGF2 will be. It might not be $255pp, but it won’t be less than RIV. I don't see any significant incentives coming for smaller point contracts, which is why we just bought a small resale for 55 pts at $175. No way I’d pay close to $200pp resell now, but I was willing to take the risk on a smaller contract. If you have no trips to plan, I would wait and see what VGF2 starts at. If VGF2 starts at $255, resale will stay around $200. If VGF2 starts around RIV at $201, resale will likely drop.
To be honest, I bought my first contract when my first daughter was on the way. We rented out the first few years of points and have only booked our own rooms twice, but the 2 rooms we did book we booked at 11 months to the day! I love to plan my Disney trips as far in advance as possible.

But I'm not afraid of scouting for 1 bedrooms at the 7 month mark if I own elsewhere.

My wife seems to be of the mindset that as long as we could score a room at VGF, BLT, or BWV (because it's walkable to Epcot and HS, which we've done before) she would be satisfied on a family trip in our family's current state.

I'm of the mindset that if I'm somewhere at Disney World, everything is just fine with me.

Last edited:
You know what’s funny?

I told her all the internet people basically said “just how much does she hate the contemporary? Because it sounds like BLT might be the best fit for you” and the two of us spent this evening watching BLT tour videos and she’s actually warming up to it.

She likes the lobby and grounds, which are a big improvement over the god awful Contemporary lobby (apologies if you actually like it). The rooms still aren’t exactly to her taste, but the point chart is…

We own at BLT, but it is not our favorite resort. I like it a lot more than my husband. We just came back from an 11-night split stay and that second bathroom in the one-bedroom has turned my husband into a BLT lover. Between the 2nd bathroom and the convenience of getting to MK and Epcot, we have really come to appreciate our home resort.

You won't be in strollers forever, and MK won't be your primary park forever. For this reason I would not target monorail resorts only.

My opinion is biased though because location is a non-factor for us. We always have a car either through a rental or because we drive down. So Disney transportation is not a consideration. We bought 250 points resale at Animal Kingdom because we wanted to target a minimal number of points required for a 1BR. We now seem to be on an every other year schedule so we are staying in 2BRs and also often stay at Old Key West because of both sentimental reasons and really liking the townhouse style accommodations vs. the more traditional hotel layouts of the other resorts.

Someone early on suggested poly but sleeping surfaces aren't the only factor. After a while once the kids get older it's better for everyone to have their own space. For example I always wake up early but my wife and kids sleep late. If we have a non park / pool day then I have nowhere to go when I wake up and all the kids are sleeping in the living room of a 1BR. It's those kinds of little factors that you don't realize until you start traveling a lot as family dynamics change over the years.

My opinion is biased though because location is a non-factor for us. We always have a car either through a rental or because we drive down. So Disney transportation is not a consideration. We bought 250 points resale at Animal Kingdom because we wanted to target a minimal number of points required for a 1BR. We now seem to be on an every other year schedule so we are staying in 2BRs and also often stay at Old Key West because of both sentimental reasons and really liking the townhouse style accommodations vs. the more traditional hotel layouts of the other resorts.

Someone early on suggested poly but sleeping surfaces aren't the only factor. After a while once the kids get older it's better for everyone to have their own space.

If that's your criteria, I wouldn't buy DVC at all. There are much nicer, bigger offsite properties, timeshare and cash. The competition is killing it, make no mistake. An old but big OKW room pales in comparison to the new generation of resorts/timeshares out there. Heck, if you want a townhouse, go Airbnb.

Last edited:
If that's your criteria, I wouldn't buy DVC at all. There are much nicer, bigger offsite properties, timeshare and cash. The competition is killing it, make no mistake. An old but big OKW room pales in comparison to the new generation of resorts/timeshares out there. Heck, if you want a townhouse, go Airbnb.

I'm not sure why you are responding to me. We bought DVC for other reasons not noted here and it was extremely cheap resale in 2012. I'm not looking for "buying" advice either. But thanks tho.

I'm not sure why you are responding to me. We bought DVC for other reasons not noted here and it was extremely cheap resale in 2012. I'm not looking for "buying" advice either. But thanks tho.

Because you are recommending that DVC is a way to get large rooms off site, as opposed to the transportation criteria OP prioritized as the reason they want DVC.

One thing my wife really, really hates is having to get kids and strollers onto the buses. And the kids love the Magic Kingdom, so... naturally that means if I want everyone to be happiest then I should plan to stay on the monorail at least for the next couple of years.
our kids could get into a rental stroller until about five)
I feel the same way. Folding the strollers was a pain. When DD1 was 4 and DD2 was a baby, I spent some time on crammed buses where DH was wrangling a double stroller (city mini) while I had the baby in a boba, holding DD1's hand and a bag. Do not miss those days!
@crisi - 🤣 December 2019, DD1 was 8 and still intermittently using the double stroller. She specifically *asked* us to rent a double for her! Luckily she is very light although she is tall. And we really welcomed it when we were in HS before dawn, in the rain, trying to score a ROTR boarding group!! But now we are almost down to NO strollers and it is such a game changer.

We already own a teeny, tiny, 50 point contract at the GF. We were thinking we'd just have our little 4 person family stay in a studio every couple of years while the little ones are still really little. We're now targeting 1-bedrooms, so we need to at least double that to 100 points.
I would definitely hang on to your teeny tiny VGF 50-pointer, especially if it has grandfathered points that allow you to book everywhere. (didn't know if it's resale or direct).

My 3 options that I've been weighing are:

1. Buy 100 points (or more) direct on Riviera right now. The incentives seem like they're in a good spot at least for the next couple of days. Sell the little GF contract (hopefully at a stupidly high price).

2. Hold on to the GF contract until they start selling VGF again. Add on another 50 points directly, easy peasy.

3. Sell the VGF contract now at a stupid price, wait for VGF to start selling again and hopefully score a contract in the vicinity of 100 points on the resale market for much lower than they currently are selling.
Might also want to pitch the 1BR BLT, which is a sweet spot points wise for the monorail and has an extra bathroom! Just look at that chart if you are even thinking about RIV 1BR.

I wouldn't be buying anything right now. I also wouldn't sell the VGF. I think the price is going to go higher, though I am not in the majority. IMO, if you think VGF pricing is stupid now, just hold on. I wouldn't sell a recent 50 pointer period, because you'll likely lose money after closing and commissions and all that. I'd hold it. And it seems you like it, so hold it.

I don't understand why RIV is even in this discussion because it is a nightmare to get to MK and a disaster of a point chart at the 1BR level. I wouldn't even consider it because of the resale restrictions. To me, and to you I suppose, being able to resell your DVC if you choose to matters.
I agree with and love everything about this except for the discussion of RIV ☺ - I do think a RIV contract (direct) should be part of the discussion... (see below)

A little about us:
Kids are now 9 & 5, and we now own at (bought in this order): BLT (direct+ pre-2019 resale), VGF (pre-2019 resale), RIV (direct). Kids still love MK the best, but are at an age where they have their own reasons for loving each of the parks now. EP/HS are the parents' favorites (although AK is growing on us too). Because of the parents/kids split on favorite parks ((I definitely need some peace and quiet after a day at MK, and yet - we have so many fond memories of fireworks at MK, watched from MK and also our room at BLT)), we always thought we'd want to have an option near MK and near EP/HS. Back when we were first looking, BWV resale was a great cheap option, but it's not anymore. Fast forward a few years, and RIV is now that option (and now we are out of strollers, so bus/skyliner isn't a big deal). During the pandemic we used our points to stay at BWV, AKV, BCV and RIV in various combinations of split stays. Getting to and from MK was a real hassle, and reconfirmed that we need to have an MK home resort to stay as part of a split stay. (Our recent stays led us to this assessment: RIV 1br > BCV 1br > RIV studio > BWV studio > AKV 1br. (We stayed at AKV when it was almost deserted, and it was very lonely)

If you plan to stay for more than 5+ nights, I highly recommend a split stay between MK and somewhere else. You could keep your VGF 50-pointer to bank/borrow or use for the few nights you're spending at MK, and look at another resort with home resort advantage in the EP/HS area, or add on at VGF to use some of those points in the EP/HS area. Or, rent for part of your split stays until you get a sense of which "other" resort you really like for a non-MK stay. For us, pre-pandemic, we'd stay 4-6 nights at either BLT or VGF, and then 2-4 nights at RIV. That was the plan. The kids still love VGF best of all, although they do love watching fireworks from BLT. Although we really appreciated the ease of walking to 2 parks from BWV/BCV, our heart is with RIV. We try to have breakfast and dinner at Topolino's on every trip, even if we're not staying there.

Depending on the size of the contract, a RIV direct might not be so much more than BCV/BWV resale (or VGF resale) and you'd have 50 years and 7mo booking at every current and future resort. For the next few years, you could use those points (or VGF) to book at BWV/BCV in easier booking windows (50 points can get you up to 5 nights in a standard studio at BWV) until you're not so reliant on strollers, and move to RIV later. Definitely worth a tour or a stay on rented points if you can - we found we liked it more than we expected. (tip: standard rooms often have fireworks views of MK and sometimes EP, and sometimes both.)

Just a heads up: when using a double stroller on the skyliner, they make you fold it up.
I saw some narrow 1 in front/1 behind doubles not having to be folded, back on one of our prior trips, but yes, a side-by-side double will for sure have to be folded. We are back to maybe a cheap but sturdy umbrella to use when the kids are exhausted and want to trade off just sitting for a while. My 9yo obviously can walk a while, but the 5yo still asks for Daddy to carry her when she's exhausted. So it's really to save DH's shoulders/back.

Because of pandemic cancellations and rebookings, we haven't stayed at the MK area since our 2019 trips, and we really miss it! Next trip is BLT/RIV.

*edited: when we bought VGF, we planned to use our BLT contracts for sleeping around, including at BCV/BWV. Then we decided we really liked RIV and now we use RIV with either BLT or VGF for split stays. BLT is *the* best deal points wise for an MK area 1br (sleeps 5, 2 baths, shortest walk to MK). So you could also get BLT resale but ... there is a value proposition to getting RIV - we were going to add BLT resale in 2019 and for not very much more, we got RIV immediately, no ROFR process, and an EP/HS home resort. The two stays we've already had at RIV are already worth the "loss" we'd have if we had to sell our RIV points now..

Also: when your kids are not in real school yet, definitely take trips during lower crowds and lower points and make the most of your schedule flexibility. The times and seasons you go to WDW will def change as your kids get older. Also your park priorities will change. We used to not even bother with HS before TS Land and SWGE. then it became a half-day park when TS land opened. Now because my kids love all the TS Land and SWGE rides and my 9yo finally rode R&RCoaster and is now obsessed with it, we probably book park passes for HS for more days than MK. Lots can change in a short time. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I feel the same way. Folding the strollers was a pain. When DD1 was 4 and DD2 was a baby, I spent some time on crammed buses where DH was wrangling a double stroller (city mini) while I had the baby in a boba, holding DD1's hand and a bag. Do not miss those days!
@crisi - 🤣 December 2019, DD1 was 8 and still intermittently using the double stroller. She specifically *asked* us to rent a double for her! Luckily she is very light although she is tall. And we really welcomed it when we were in HS before dawn, in the rain, trying to score a ROTR boarding group!! But now we are almost down to NO strollers and it is such a game changer.

I would definitely hang on to your teeny tiny VGF 50-pointer, especially if it has grandfathered points that allow you to book everywhere. (didn't know if it's resale or direct).

I agree with and love everything about this except for the discussion of RIV ☺ - I do think a RIV contract (direct) should be part of the discussion... (see below)

A little about us:
Kids are now 9 & 5, and we now own at (bought in this order): BLT (direct+ pre-2019 resale), VGF (pre-2019 resale), RIV (direct). Kids still love MK the best, but are at an age where they have their own reasons for loving each of the parks now. EP/HS are the parents' favorites (although AK is growing on us too). Because of the parents/kids split on favorite parks ((I definitely need some peace and quiet after a day at MK, and yet - we have so many fond memories of fireworks at MK, watched from MK and also our room at BLT)), we always thought we'd want to have an option near MK and near EP/HS. Back when we were first looking, BWV resale was a great cheap option, but it's not anymore. Fast forward a few years, and RIV is now that option (and now we are out of strollers, so bus/skyliner isn't a big deal). During the pandemic we used our points to stay at BWV, AKV, BCV and RIV in various combinations of split stays. Getting to and from MK was a real hassle, and reconfirmed that we need to have an MK home resort to stay as part of a split stay. (Our recent stays led us to this assessment: RIV 1br > BCV 1br > RIV studio > BWV studio > AKV 1br. (We stayed at AKV when it was almost deserted, and it was very lonely)

If you plan to stay for more than 5+ nights, I highly recommend a split stay between MK and somewhere else. You could keep your VGF 50-pointer to bank/borrow or use for the few nights you're spending at MK, and look at another resort with home resort advantage in the EP/HS area, or add on at VGF to use some of those points in the EP/HS area. Or, rent for part of your split stays until you get a sense of which "other" resort you really like for a non-MK stay. For us, pre-pandemic, we'd stay 4-6 nights at either BLT or VGF, and then 2-4 nights at RIV. That was the plan. The kids still love VGF best of all, although they do love watching fireworks from BLT. Although we really appreciated the ease of walking to 2 parks from BWV/BCV, our heart is with RIV. We try to have breakfast and dinner at Topolino's on every trip, even if we're not staying there.

Depending on the size of the contract, a RIV direct might not be so much more than BCV/BWV resale (or VGF resale) and you'd have 50 years and 7mo booking at every current and future resort. For the next few years, you could use those points (or VGF) to book at BWV/BCV in easier booking windows (50 points can get you up to 5 nights in a standard studio at BWV) until you're not so reliant on strollers, and move to RIV later. Definitely worth a tour or a stay on rented points if you can - we found we liked it more than we expected. (tip: standard rooms often have fireworks views of MK and sometimes EP, and sometimes both.)

I saw some narrow 1 in front/1 behind doubles not having to be folded, back on one of our prior trips, but yes, a side-by-side double will for sure have to be folded. We are back to maybe a cheap but sturdy umbrella to use when the kids are exhausted and want to trade off just sitting for a while. My 9yo obviously can walk a while, but the 5yo still asks for Daddy to carry her when she's exhausted. So it's really to save DH's shoulders/back.

Because of pandemic cancellations and rebookings, we haven't stayed at the MK area since our 2019 trips, and we really miss it! Next trip is BLT/RIV.

*edited: when we bought VGF, we planned to use our BLT contracts for sleeping around, including at BCV/BWV. Then we decided we really liked RIV and now we use RIV with either BLT or VGF for split stays. BLT is *the* best deal points wise for an MK area 1br (sleeps 5, 2 baths, shortest walk to MK). So you could also get BLT resale but ... there is a value proposition to getting RIV - we were going to add BLT resale in 2019 and for not very much more, we got RIV immediately, no ROFR process, and an EP/HS home resort. The two stays we've already had at RIV are already worth the "loss" we'd have if we had to sell our RIV points now..

Also: when your kids are not in real school yet, definitely take trips during lower crowds and lower points and make the most of your schedule flexibility. The times and seasons you go to WDW will def change as your kids get older. Also your park priorities will change. We used to not even bother with HS before TS Land and SWGE. then it became a half-day park when TS land opened. Now because my kids love all the TS Land and SWGE rides and my 9yo finally rode R&RCoaster and is now obsessed with it, we probably book park passes for HS for more days than MK. Lots can change in a short time. Enjoy!
Thanks for the very detailed, thoughtful reply!

One thing for us is that even when the kids aren’t in school, we have to stick to the normal school holidays and summers because my wife is a teacher. The point charts are definitely not friendly to people in that profession. Oh well!

Because VGF2 is announced to be part of the original VGF association, and DVD/DVC has never lowered prices, I don't think you'll see a massive drop in the $255 per point price. You may see a "Buy 200 points, get 25 free points" deal as they've done elsewhere, but I doubt you'll see them lower the price per point itself.

In our hearts, my wife and I wanted Poly DVC. In our heads, we noted the lack of 1 bedrooms, the higher point cost than other resorts, the higher point requirements, and the location of the DVC buildings (we preferred the other side of the resort). We rented some points at BLT and stayed there for a week. We loved the convenience of the walking path to MK, the restaurant choices at the Contemporary, the variety of room choices, the lower buy in price, and the lower point requirements compared to Poly and VGF. I can't say we made a bad decision, as BLT has been wonderful.

I appreciate everyone weighing in on this, you all provided a lot of things to think about that we hadn't yet considered.

Ultimately we pulled the trigger on a direct RIV contract for now, taking advantage of the incentives before they expired! (our guide actually extended the incentives for us by 2 days because when we first reached out to talk to her, it was 7 days ago. They approved giving us a full week to think about it).

I suppose we still have 10 days to change our minds though!

We feel good about the decision.

We really like the Riviera.

We also have a list of 4 other resorts that we will be perfectly happy with, even on a relatively Magic Kingdom centric trip. And we feel comfortable about getting at least one of them at the 7 month mark, especially since June is our typical travel month.

And we do really like the Riviera, and the idea of taking advantage of the tower studios for a bonus getaway for the 2 of us every once in a while.

Because VGF2 is announced to be part of the original VGF association, and DVD/DVC has never lowered prices, I don't think you'll see a massive drop in the $255 per point price. You may see a "Buy 200 points, get 25 free points" deal as they've done elsewhere, but I doubt you'll see them lower the price per point itself.
I don't think this is accurate.

Saratoga Springs was expanded upon after it sold out. And once it went back into active sales, the price came down.

I think that is pretty much a given with the VGF points, but we'll see. Maybe we'll buy some of those, too! 😂

I appreciate everyone weighing in on this, you all provided a lot of things to think about that we hadn't yet considered.

Ultimately we pulled the trigger on a direct RIV contract for now, taking advantage of the incentives before they expired! (our guide actually extended the incentives for us by 2 days because when we first reached out to talk to her, it was 7 days ago. They approved giving us a full week to think about it).

I suppose we still have 10 days to change our minds though!

We feel good about the decision.

We really like the Riviera.

We also have a list of 4 other resorts that we will be perfectly happy with, even on a relatively Magic Kingdom centric trip. And we feel comfortable about getting at least one of them at the 7 month mark, especially since June is our typical travel month.

And we do really like the Riviera, and the idea of taking advantage of the tower studios for a bonus getaway for the 2 of us every once in a while.
Congratulations! DH stayed at Riviera a few months ago, and loved it! We bought 10 years ago when kids were 7 and 4, in strollers, majority of time in MK, etc......10 years later, teenagers, their favorite park/rides HS, our favorite Epcot, no strollers, going during school holidays only, kids want thrill rides elsewhere, etc, etc. Things change for sure, but we LOVE DVC. Owning BWV has been great, and I think RIV is such a great location for HS/Epcot.
We've stayed at BLT 3 times, and we loved it. That extra bathroom there (and Kidani,) pushes the resort way up the list. We've had no issues in the past getting 1 bedrooms at BLT, and Kidani, (just not standard views.) We've stayed about half the time at BWV, and half elsewhere.
Congrats again!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter