What would you do for Tonga Toast?

jsergent

Mouseketeer
It was the 2nd to last morning of our Disney trip at Riviera Resort and I was trying to think of something fun for breakfast. I was up early before everyone else and decided to make a run for Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe since it is available through mobile order. I also did not want to spend any money on rideshare, so I had to rely on whatever Disney transporation was available.

I walked up to the buses at 6:48 AM and one was pulling up for Animal Kingdom. Nothing else was running yet, so I hopped on. Once I got on the bus I placed my mobile order.

After arriving at AK, I immediately boarded a return bus from there over to Polynesian. After making it to Poly, I clicked I've arrived so my order could be prepared.

Grabbed a coffee while I waited and then hopped on the monorail to MK once the Tonga Toast was ready. Waited there for a return bus back to Rivera and arrived to the room with Tonga Toast at 8:28!

My wife had never had it before and so she was very surprised and loved it! I succeeded in my free transporation challenge without waiting more than 5 or 6 minutes at each stop for the next leg and a fun story to share too!

Tonga Toast is way to sweet for me and others in my family I can only eat so much of it and I am done. I do not mind sweet things for breakfast but to me it is an overload. We have had a number of times as my Wife feels the need when we stay at the Poly and I am sure this year as well being in a neighboring resort. If you were there in July we could have made a trade and met half way Riv still has Pancakes on the CS menu much prefer them.

It has been a favorite of mine since I first stayed at the Poly as a kid in 1979. Every trip, I say I'm going to head over and get some, but they only times I actually do get Tonga Toast is when I am staying at the Poly.

Not a fan. It keeps getting worse, been going to the Poly since the early 1990s & tried it over the years Now, it's like a dry brick that you have to put a massive amount of syrup on. Never again. Not to mention that the crowded Kona Cafe has the least atmosphere of any restaurant on property.

Funny thing is, I went to all the effort and didn't even like it that much! haha

I did get the regular French toast as well from Kona Cafe and I thought it was really good.
Tonga toast is good, but definitely overrated. Sounded like an interesting voyage nonetheless.

Not a fan. It keeps getting worse, been going to the Poly since the early 1990s & tried it over the years Now, it's like a dry brick that you have to put a massive amount of syrup on. Never again. Not to mention that the crowded Kona Cafe has the least atmosphere of any restaurant on property.
Never had it before until this trip. When I opened the container, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I can understand your description of it for sure. I was there somewhat early I guess, there weren't many people at Kona Cafe when I arrived.

Amazing what we are willing to do to get tonga toast. I feel your pain, as we go every trip without fail. Sounds like you timed it just right.

Interesting tale. What would I do for a tonga toast? Nothing. Never had it, don't care to.

I would do jsergent's escapade in a heartbeat. DH on the other hand absolutely wouldn't.
LOVED reading about it and love Tonga Toast. I could drink the strawberry compote.

Good for you!!!

Eh, not that much. I have definitely taken an Uber to the Poly to eat Tonga Toast before taking the monorail over to Magic Kingdom.

Tonga Toast is way to sweet for me and others in my family I can only eat so much of it and I am done. I do not mind sweet things for breakfast but to me it is an overload.
I always ask them to leave the powdered sugar off, because I'm absolutely certain it would be too sweet for me if they didn't. Without the sugar I find it just right.

Hey - great adventure and tale and I really appreciate the thread. I idolize Tonga Toast in the sense that it's really built up in my mind - enough so that I forget about it in reality every time - and then I get it and it's not as good as I've made it up to be. But hey - that's OK. I blame social media/social channels, as I feel like I see so many pictures of food from WDW before I've had it. And honestly, that's how I feel about Gideon's cookies. I see them + the marketing is so good by the Gideon team that I will always buy at least a few cookies in one go on a trip and then remember that I don't think they're actually all that they're hyped to be...

As a previous poster mentioned, I do agree that the Tonga toast recipe has changed quite a bit from the 2000's when I was first exposed to it. Or at least younger me doesn't remember it being so dry. There was more flavor + better texture on the earlier version. I'm sure if you were to make it at home with the copy cat recipes online (or the official recipe that we have in one of the Disney official cookbooks), you could alter it to your liking and get it pretty close to the OG. The other recipe that has changed for the worst over the years is the carrot cake cookie from the (former) Writer's Stop Cafe - now Starbucks Trolley Cafe. Don't get me started on that one. I think the carrot cake cookie has had a much drastic change for the worst though compared to the Tonga toast.

Anyway, I applaud you, Original Poster, and thanks for sharing the details of your adventure. I appreciate the time stamps. I might be doing the same journey in a few months if my mind idolizes the toast and my brain "forgets."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter