• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would 14 year old you think were the coolest parts of your current life?

All the Star Wars figures and stuff all over the house, and the variety and amount of stuff that's availabe, at the click of a button, and the hope for MORE Star Wars stuff. I was 14 just after RotJ, and at that time, there was no hope that we'd ever get ANY more SW movies. I just accepted that they were done.
Everything associated w the Internet, and cell phones.
having indoor pets. Had lots of outside kitties growing up, but now we have 4 indoor/outdoor cats/1 dog.
ability to travel to Disney often

My 14-year-old self would kill to get the Internet. If only it'd existed then my life would've been much different.

I had this same answer to your virgin thread so I apologize in advance for the repetition, but it truly does apply. I have left the Mennonite community that I grew up in so my 14 year old self would find all kinds of things very, very cool about my current life. The list would be much too long to create. :)

That I can afford ro travel the world! Always a hope and a dream ♥️

I had this same answer to your virgin thread so I apologize in advance for the repetition, but it truly does apply. I have left the Mennonite community that I grew up in so my 14 year old self would find all kinds of things very, very cool about my current life. The list would be much too long to create. :)
Random, but all this time I think I have read your name as Tipsy instead of Tippy! :D

I think my 14 year old self would be pretty pleased at all the places I (we? Lol) have been and my awesome DH and DD. A lot has happened in the 30+ years since 14.

Actually, 14 is when I would like to go back and start a do-over as long as I could still have my family in the end.

It was 1975. Just about 100% of it. We still listened to AM radio more than FM for goodness sakes. Phones all had cords, TVs didn't have remotes of any sort, we were lucky to have 4 channels, at the most.
My 14 yo self's brain would simply explode to see Nashville today (my hometown). Heck, even my 30 yo self would be blown away by the changes in today's Nashville.
Seriously, there isn't much of the world today that resembles the one in 1975.
Areas of tech would probably be the most mind blowing

Last edited:
How I can cook with authentic ingredients due to changing availability in stores and my garden. Fourteen year old me cooked Chinese food at home for my family almost every week, and while I loved it, it was frustrating that it was hard to find ingredients. I had to leave a lot of stuff out or go with Americanized recipes. I loved the Sunset Magazine cookbooks I used, but we had these big coffee table books on Chinese cooking, and I could only dream about making the things in them. Now, all those ingredients are easily available. Why did I like cooking Chinese food so much as a kid? Idk. We're not Chinese. I wonder if those random coffee table books ended up being a major influencer on my hobby, even though the recipes were out of reach.

That I am still close with some of the same friends I had then; that I still have the type of dog I had then (with several in between); and that I can earn a good living on my own if I need to (which was a goal back then).

That I can use a computer to communicate and receive instantaneous news, photos and videos from around the world. (So basically the internet, and other technology that people of a certain age could never have imagined.)

I would say a wonderful car
BTW, Spinneret, did you used to post on this board under a different name? :scratchin
Something about you is familiar. :rolleyes:

All the Star Wars figures and stuff all over the house, and the variety and amount of stuff that's availabe, at the click of a button, and the hope for MORE Star Wars stuff. I was 14 just after RotJ, and at that time, there was no hope that we'd ever get ANY more SW movies. I just accepted that they were done.
Everything associated w the Internet, and cell phones.
having indoor pets. Had lots of outside kitties growing up, but now we have 4 indoor/outdoor cats/1 dog.
ability to travel to Disney often
It seems like Star Wars is still marketing to all the 80’s kids. It’s actually perfect: the demographic that has both nostalgia for the stuff and the money to buy it all with.

edit: see also, Masters of the Universe, Transformers, GI Joe…

Definitely traveling the world. I rarely got to do much of what interested me when I was a kid, but travel always fascinated me. I've since been able to do quite a bit of traveling and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Buying a house. I honestly never thought I would have my own home. Bonus points for having a slide off the deck (that's something my 4 year old self would have been really impressed with).

Probably my travels, because so many of the place we've gone/are going felt as out of reach as the moon back then. Either that or my Jeep. I feel like my 14yo self, or at the very least my 16yo-new-driver self, would have been seriously impressed by it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter