What will you Autism spectrum child eat?

Jacob's a 5 year old Aspie. We have lots of food "rules". LOL 2 solid years of therapy and we've made lots of eating progress.

He eats:
french fries (his feeding therapist laughingly says ALL her ASD patients eat them)
ketchup(only on fries)
yogurt- 1 brand, 2 flavors
applesauce- only in the small containers
Gerber Stage 3 Spaghetti
Beech Nut Stage 3 Chicken and Stars
most of the Gerber fruits/veggies in the little plastic containers
a couple Gerber Stage 2 things
Gerber puffs
Gerber biter biscuits
goldfish- only the multi color ones
Honey Nut Cheerios
and our newest accomplishment- those hideous orange crackers and peanut butter

Everything must be room temp or pretty darn close.

My 7 y.o. little guy eats quite a few things but will not try anything new, and when forced to he will gag and has vomited. His list:
Cold cereal (coco puffs, honey nut cheerios, life, lucky charms)
Milk
Doritos nacho flavored
pasta (plain no flavor whatsoever)
string cheese
no vegetables
potatoes (plain no gravy, or sour cream)
tacos (meat and cheese only)
pizza (cheese)
chicken nuggets
fries (only if super hungry)
popcorn
saltines
peanut butter
white bread
goldfish crackers (only the orange ones)
ramen noodle (without flavor:scared1: )
no fish
hot dogs (you guessed it, plain)
ice cream (plain vanilla or plain chocolate)
That's about it, as you can see pretty bland diet, and absolutely awful to make a family meal that we can all eat. We have tacos and hot dogs alot!

This also reminds me of a co-worker of mine, many years ago, back when I had a life. :lmao:

He was perfectly normal (okay, he was wierd but nothing medically going on) and he would eat nothing but plain hamburgers and biscuits. That was it. Period. That's all he'd eaten for years. In retrospect, some major malnutrition going on.

Another co-worker of ours had him over one evening, got him really intoxicated, then fed him spaghetti. Just to see if she could get him to eat it. Which he did, but then didn't remember doing it. :eek:

Just thought I'd throw that in. ;) Ah, the good old days.

I eat nothing for breakfast unless mom has bacon. For over a week it has been cinnamon raisin bread toasted, block of cheese, peanut butter and coffee. We ran out of that bread so it is now sourdough toast.

BeckyScott you are tempting me, lol. Naw mom the coffee is not different, well a little extra cinnamon.:rolleyes1 So tempting to get her drunk so she will eat something else for a change especially with 20 pounds of bacon in the freezer.

7 year old DS - PDD-NOS and SID
Stopped eating "new" foods when he was 11 months old. Never made it to stage 3 baby foods, he gagged, screamed, cried, and threw up. Kind of like now when we try to introduce new foods, scream, cry, vomit, try the food, vomit, cry, scream, try it again, gag, cry, etc.

Breakfast - 2 cartons Trix rasberry rainbow yogurt
1 juicy juice grape juice 4 oz box

Lunch - 2 cartons trix rasberry rainbox yogurt
1 package of regular non-broken pringles (broken ones don't get eaten)
On occasional days he adds 2 slices american cheese (land-o lakes only bought at BJ's in bulk package) torn into pieces but has to be correct temperature or wil not be eater because it is too chewy.

Snack at Daycare - 2 cartons trix rasberry rainbox yogurt

1 red or purple or blue lollypop that isn't bumpy

Dinner - Bet you can guess..... 2 cartons of rasberry rainbow yogurt
grape juicy juice or 1 % milk
1 package of regular pringles

other foods he occasionaly eats - Buttercrisp round crackers that are not "too brown", Animal crackers in the small Barnum's box, Honeymaid graham sticks (not BEES)

EVERYTHING is brand specific and he knows if there is anything added in. Everything has to look just right or will not get eaten. Food therapy tried and he stopped eating and drinking for 5 days so I quit - I coudn't take it. His pediatrician has said for 4 years in a row to leave him alone because he is healthy and gaining both height and weight. This year he referred me to a psychiatrist to get anti-anxiety meds to see if he can try new things if he isn't so afraid.

This is all he eats. So the rest of you who complain really need to re-evaluate because at least you are getting chicken nuggets, pizza, and other normal kids foods into your kids. Mine is an outcast at all meals and people think he's weird. We have to bring food with us everywhere and we pray that hurricanes go away fast because we have to have a 3 week stock of yogurt at home at all times during the summer because he won't eat anythign else, no matter how hungry he gets.

And yes, I really do wish we had stock in Trix yogurt bcause we have to buy so much of it. And my assistants at work are sick of the strawberry banana flavor that we have to donate or trash because he only eats the rasberry rainbox in the 6 pack.

Ali you have my virtual hugs:hug:. My "normal" kiddo is picky, but not as picky as your son. But I fully understand hunger strikes, etc. She's already small for her age, so I do cater to the beige foods she'll eat. As I posted, ironically, our ASD daughter will eat anything; I guess that makes her a seeker, :lmao:

Jacob (10 ASD) has actually increased his diet a little this past year but his staples are:

mac-a-cheese (would eat this every day if we let him)
waffles/pancakes (added syrup this year)
turkey bacon
yogurt
cheese sandwiches/grilled cheese
french fries
chicken nuggets (I have been able to substitute soy/veggie nuggets and because of the amount of ketchup, which is a food group in itself, he doesnt seem to notice)
pop tarts (smores and chocolate chip only)
cold cereal (lucky charms, fruit loops)
broccoli,
cauliflower
Toast, ketchup and butter (his favorite snack YUCK!!!)
pizza, no sauce won't eat the crust or the spots where the cheese bubbles up and gets brown
perogies (but won't touch mashed potatoes even though I have explained that is what is inside the perogie)
chocolate donuts,
plain chocolate and sour candy

And this past week, all on his own he decided to try a turkey and cheese sub with mustard and a cheeseburger. I almost fainted. He didn't really like the burger but we have now added turkey sandwiches to our lunch menu for school. Thank goodness since he would only bring waffles and turkey bacon or a cheese sandwich this year. (A big step up from first grade where he would only eat ketchup sandwiches.)

Oh and milk is a staple in his diet as well, about 7 gallons a week. It is the only thing he will drink. Tried soy milk but wouldn't touch it.

Ronda

Reading these lists makes me think this is what all kids would like to eat - mostly over-processed junkfood. What did autistic spectrum kids eat 60 years ago?

I'm also wondering if this has anything to do with autism, or some other issue - my daughter has a gag reflex to meat, and her food preferences are pretty much the same as the ones listed here. She does not have any signs of autism, but she does have birth defects and was almost born at 25
weeks.
They did not know they were autistic then and they were most likley in institutions. But did you not see rainman?? 6 fish sticks eaten with tooth picks.

My online friend has a son who was premie as in more than a month early. Sweet kid but then as we talked his food quirks came out. I asked someone for their opinions and gave their response to him.

The usual 2 to 4 hour fight over him eating worried me since dad is young and single. Today he had a chili dog with the works. Gone fast. He plans to get the boy checked out as before the kid was a perfectionist who gagged on food. Dad thought the kid was rebellious or what ever and never realized that he is not alone. That there is a difference for a hissy fit and a gagging meltdown. I showed him this thread and I thank you for helping ease his mnd. Proper training and some work on Dad's part will take care of a lot of his problems even though they are minor.

Thank you for helping my friend.

They did not know they were autistic then and they were most likley in institutions. But did you not see rainman?? 6 fish sticks eaten with tooth picks.

It's not just autistic children with these eating issues mentioned here, though. I doubt the higher functioning children on the spectrum would have been institutionalized, either. They would have just been thought of as 'stupid', 'queer', 'odd', or some other derogatory name, and teased and tormented, ignored or abused, regarded as the "Village Idiot" :sad2: :sad1: :mad:

But without all this highly overprocessed food, what would they have found to fixate on to eat, I wonder? A certain type of bread, hardtack, who knows? What is it about the overprocessing that makes it so attractive to the spectrum? Is it the high level of sodium? The lack of a true 'food' taste? Other additives that are affecting synapses in their brains so that it gives them pleasure? The high level of fat? Maybe that will be my next career - finding the link between the foods and the spectrum/reflex, etc. It would combine my degree in biology and my years of working with special needs children. hmmmm....

It is not that “spectrum” children are fixated on a food item, though as with anything new, it has heightened interest for a period of time before it becomes “boring”. Since varied eating is to a significant extent a “social thing” it does not hold the same allure to spectrum children as is does to the rest of the population. When you combine this with heightened or reduced sensory sensitivities, this make the adoption of “new” foods challenging. “If I am (reasonably) healthy with what I am eating then why would I bother to try other food items?”.

Thank goodness for vitamins.

There are some works about past “geniuses” that had aspergers characteristics and the anecdotal comments of their eating patterns seem to reflect the current situation (if in a more “home cooked” way).

bookwormde

bookwormde, could you please show studies where eating a varied diet is a 'social thing'? That's very interesting.

As with most spectrum issues there is very little clinical data. But if you talk to Aspeis parents of aspies you will get the same general sense of this issue. One very social area is that “pier pressure” for the most part has very little impact on our children (if they even notice it). So that “social tool” is mostly useless. Apies by nature are not followers so seeing someone else trying something generally does not elicit the same social response as neurotypicals (wanting to fit in). That is just a couple of areas of impact but gives you the general idea.

Also the whole idea of a meal being a social situation is many times something that has to be “learned” as an intellectual social skill since there is no real logical reason behind eating as a group other than the social ones.

As a side, it took my NT wife a long time to accept that eating did not have the same social connotations for me, since the giving and receiving food and meals were major social event for her an her family.

bookworm

I understand what you're saying.

For example, at the kids school. They have a specific rule that for the first 10 minutes of lunch there is no talking, the kids have to eat. Otherwise they talk for the whole time and don't eat anything. Lunch is a social activity, getting nutrition is secondary.

If you look at lunch as a functional activity, I guess more of a scientific perspective?, it's purpose is to fill your nutritional needs, then the social aspect wouldn't play in.

Not to imply that spectrum kids don't enjoy their food (try taking a popsicle away from my son!). But I've noticed he'd prefer to eat in front of the tv rather than sit at the table and talk to anyone.

And yes, thank goodness for vitamins.

My son will eat nothing. This is all he eats and Im serious and very concerned.
He has a sensory problem.

nuggets
fries
green beans
yogurt
1 kind of choco chip cookie only
teriaki chicken - mall chinese
cheese pizza - sometime
ho hos

grape water
Dr. pepper

THAT is IT! NO candy, cakes or other snacks.

We have tried and tried to get this child to eat! He is over weight by 15 pounds.

LauraAnn630

Sounds like your child is reasonably healthy. Just stay with a good multivitamin and try to increase his activity level a little. Unless your pediatrician thinks he is malnourished then what is the real problem, other than the inconvenience of having to organize the availability of these items.

I wish I could get more if the non-starch items that your son eats into mine.

I would spend my efforts in dealing with the sensory issues in general and not worry about the variety of his diet.

bookwormde

I can see some social issues dealing with food. There is the parental pressures on a kid where it has to make parents happy. The sitting at a dinner table with others while being with in certain set rules like no throwing food, burping or having to eat with utensils.

My dad demanded I eat carrots in the stew. I was happy with some french bread topped with gravy and potatos while the meat had some ketchup. I just cannot eat carrots unless I have to like in slaw, salad and soups. I avoid them when possible. Not a taste issue, just do not do carrot.

Sometimes in a restaurant I will not order something because if I do not like it then I will have nothing to eat. It is utter nonsense but I come close to meltdown for some reason. I love food but rarely try stuff outside what I know. Elk is meat so that is ok. As a kid the only veggies were peas and corn but it took a long time to get me to eat one of those. I cope by saying it is a veggie or meat, something I am familiar with.

I ate fries after this post and realized that the ends really are differnt texture and just a bit different flavour. I tried ketchup last night and despite loving it cannot understand why I love it so much. I do love tomatos and have eaten them whole like fruit.:confused3 Why the love of ketchup?

DS9, has improved greatly over the years. He eats:

cereal, pancakes, pop tarts (wild berry if you please), he LOVES bagels with cream cheese, toast with cream cheese or butter, pizza, hamburgers (NOT cheeseburgers but yet he loves cheese), spaghettios, chicken noodle soup, steak, chicken, spaghetti, turkey meatballs, pork chops, bacon, roasted potatoes, fish, corn, green beans, broccoli, not so much into fruits though...he really eats lots now, though it was not always the case. He has certain texture issues - NO combined foods - like stews or casseroles, ziti, doesn't go for sandwiches. HATES creamy, mushy - no applesauce, mashed taters, guacamole. Does not like deserts - no chocolate or ice cream :confused3

DH tried to get him to eat a sloppy joe sandwich just last week. It didn't go well. There was well, a "reversal of fortune" soon after taking the first bite!

As with most spectrum issues there is very little clinical data. But if you talk to Aspeis parents of aspies you will get the same general sense of this issue. One very social area is that “pier pressure” for the most part has very little impact on our children (if they even notice it). So that “social tool” is mostly useless. Apies by nature are not followers so seeing someone else trying something generally does not elicit the same social response as neurotypicals (wanting to fit in). That is just a couple of areas of impact but gives you the general idea.

Also the whole idea of a meal being a social situation is many times something that has to be “learned” as an intellectual social skill since there is no real logical reason behind eating as a group other than the social ones.

As a side, it took my NT wife a long time to accept that eating did not have the same social connotations for me, since the giving and receiving food and meals were major social event for her an her family.

bookworm

This is so true for my son. Peer pressure has no effect on our son. So the fact he has taken a PB sandwich to school every day since kindergarden, and his classmates think that is strange, makes no difference to him. He hates lunch time because the cafeteria is loud, and he doesn't derive any joy from eating. If we didn't constantly tell him to come and eat, or sit down it's dinnertime, he would never come into the kitchen. Perhaps, for a drink, but that is occassional. It is a chore to keep him fed and hydrated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter