What will Disney let you pay for next?

Ok. Here’s my experience. I set my alarm. I got a boarding time for 6 hrs later, 1pm. I hung around that park for hours after hitting 5 rides and watching a show. I went to the line for Rise at 12:30. They informed me it would be another 3 hours! I wasted the WHOLE DAY. I wanted to go in the pool but now the rain is coming and I didn’t even ride. I would’ve been out of that park by 10:30. I’m so aggravated. The system is pitiful. And there are others who didn’t even get a boarding time. I see it as breach of contract. Appalling.

Are they giving out times now? Last time I did it it was a group number and an estimate for how long it would take, that would be updated through the day as groups were called.

That’s what they did for me. I was group 94 in 6 hours. So I went at 12:30 and they were only boarding group 50. When I last checked it said not boarding estimate 45mins. But we had already left and passed our time. The rain cleared and we’ve been in the pool for the past hour, which beats running to a park to be told the ride is down. Tonight we’re headed to Boma and to watch the animals. And so far viewing at AKL is still free.

Just thought of another possible fee. Merchandise bag charge. If you buy merch at a WDW park or hotel, they charge a $0.50 / plastic bag which would encourage people to pay $1.50 for the reusable bag. The fee is part of a company wide effort to reduce, reuse and recycle and protect our oceans. I am not being sarcastic either about protecting our natural waters, there is a lot garbage being dumped into the oceans and not just by Americans. :(
They were doing this at times pre-covid at world of Disney and Disney Stores RIP (either buy a reusable bag or bring your own)

Are they giving out times now? Last time I did it it was a group number and an estimate for how long it would take, that would be updated through the day as groups were called.
Still group number but it gives an estimated wait time so I assume PP looked at that and assumed 1230 not accounting for down time which rise has lots of

Haven't been here in a while and probably not missed (lol) but that is ok. Just wanted to chime in because what you are seeing is a hard lesson in economics.

For some reason, many people don't think real world decisions have real world consequences. People demanded $15 minimum wage for people who hand out ice cream bars. Well, that money comes from somewhere, and it ain't gonna be corporate profits and executive bonuses. Same thing with the shutdown. Disney isn't going to just eat that loss. They will try to make it up best they can. Well, this is how. Really extends further than just any of this. The "raise corporate taxes" mantra that some love is no different. Corporations don't eat tax increases. They pass them along to consumers. Nothing more than a tax increase on you. Same with inflation. Print a ton of money, and inflation will (has) happen. When goods cost more, corporations don't just absorb that cost. They pass it on to consumers.

All this is exactly what you are seeing right now with Disney and just about everywhere else in America. The bottom line? You gotta pay to play, and the cost to play won't be doing anything but going up.
Disney has been planning the switch to pay for FP+ this for many years, for this exact timeframe (after Avitar and SW lands were built) and has nothing to do with recent political/economic happenings.

Disney has been planning the switch to pay for FP+ this for many years, for this exact timeframe (after Avitar and SW lands were built) and has nothing to do with recent political/economic happenings.
honestly paid front of the line perks have become industry standard so it was only a matter of time that disney monitized this....that said club cool samples are still free and not paid flights like world of coke at disney springs so thats a win

honestly paid front of the line perks have become industry standard so it was only a matter of time that disney monitized this....that said club cool samples are still free and not paid flights like world of coke at disney springs so thats a win

Except you arent paying for front of the line.

A resort fee added on every night of the stay like the parking fee. They'll justify it by saying you'll have unlimited use of resort amenities like the pools, jogging trails, gyms, laundry, etc. They'll just be trying to keep up with the "industry standard."

And don’t forget their other standard reasoning - “based on feedback from our guests ….”

I thought the problem with fastpass was it made the standby lines a longer wait. So the exact same thing will happen with Lightning Lane. But you've got to pay. Two steps back without even one forward step. And you've got to spend the day looking for the next available Lightening Lane entrance. If it's a crowded day you'll be lucky if you can get two in. Already at 7am you'll be in anxious mode even not considering ropedrop. So 7.50 per ride not counting the super hard to get into rides which can be possibly be up to $25. An easy $40 added to every ticket. Well people will pay even if ROTR is $50.
Before with all planning in advance you could just relax having everything set up. And it was fun. Now planning becomes an expensive daily ordeal. It must be fun for Iger and Chapek to torment their customers.

They've been using the same system under a different name in DLP. People get a lot more than two rides per day. MaxPass at DL was the same system only with an additional free option. Because of the free option, everyone used it. People got a lot more than two rides per day.

I thought the problem with fastpass was it made the standby lines a longer wait. So the exact same thing will happen with Lightning Lane. But you've got to pay. Two steps back without even one forward step. And you've got to spend the day looking for the next available Lightening Lane entrance. If it's a crowded day you'll be lucky if you can get two in. Already at 7am you'll be in anxious mode even not considering ropedrop. So 7.50 per ride not counting the super hard to get into rides which can be possibly be up to $25. An easy $40 added to every ticket. Well people will pay even if ROTR is $50.
Before with all planning in advance you could just relax having everything set up. And it was fun. Now planning becomes an expensive daily ordeal. It must be fun for Iger and Chapek to torment their customers.

That's why I'd rather them just make Genie+, $100pp or more and let you ride most of the rides. Those who want to pay can pay, it cuts out all of the guessing and planning and it allows for a more smooth standby

They've been using the same system under a different name in DLP. People get a lot more than two rides per day. MaxPass at DL was the same system only with an additional free option. Because of the free option, everyone used it. People got a lot more than two rides per day.

It also didnt have upcharges for the rides people qctually want to ride.

After November nothing, we will no longer be going as the value to enjoyment ratio no longer works for our family. This will be the last trip and this was planned to take my parent's and my dad's sister who are all in their 70's. We can afford to go every year, and husband has enjoyed his disability not holding the rest of the family back with DAS. Thanks Disney for the past memories, new ones will be spent on all inclusives and vacation home.

Cynics are born out of optimism :)

I think when character meet and greets are fully back that tiered pricing makes sense.

Princess Package- stand next to Mickey $49.99

Noble Package- get to stand 15 feet away from Mickey $29.99

Peasant Package- wave at Mickey from 50 feet away $ 9.99 *** if you want Mickey to wave back an additional cost of $4.99 per wave will be applied to cost of package.

I don’t think they will fully monetize meets though an upcharge for a personalized physical autograph vs a pre printed card seems possible

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter