• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What/Who is Orange Bird??

Princess Katelet

Mouseketeer
I know he has something to do with the orange dole whip but I don’t know why or how. Why doesn’t the pineapple or strawberry flavor have a mascot?

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
Wow…I went to Disney a lot in the late eighties/early nineties (even did the college program) and then went to Disney all through the 2000s and this year is the first I’ve ever noticed him.

He's been around for a long time, but I feel like his popularity greatly increased around 5-6ish years ago.

My mom had an Orange Bird plastic bank she got on a trip to Florida before I was born (either their 1980 trip or earlier). She said she used to use it and some Orange Bird materials to teach her kindergarten or 1st grade students about healthy foods. I just remember it always sitting on a shelf with other banks and music boxes growing up. It has only been in the past couple of years that I found out about the Disney connection to Orange Bird.

I love Orange Bird because of this nostalgia. I was ecstatic to get an Orange Bird mug at the Flower and Garden Festival this year and loved seeing the Orange Bird murals.

On my first Disney trip in 1980, my aunt bought me a little Orange Bird necklace. Wish I still had it.

He's a cute little dude. I hadn't seen him at all until my last trip to WDW when I saw a little TsumTsum of him. I'm glad he's gaining popularity again!

We have family pics from 70s of the orange bird and I had a little plastic figure. My dd 13 loves orange bird and he’s been her favorite for years! She collects all orange bird merch!

I had a sticker and cup from the 70s with Orange bird. I’m glad he’s back. So cute. I got a plush on our trip last year.

He's been around for a long time, but I feel like his popularity greatly increased around 5-6ish years ago.
Honestly, I think social media has made a great deal of Disney merch. more popular in recent years than it has ever been before. One person posts a cute item they bought and then 10 more people immediately set off saying "Take my money!!", then they share what they bought online as well, and suddenly the whole world needs new ears or a sippy cup or a popcorn bucket---whether it's Orange Bird, Figment, or Oogie Boogie . 😄

I love Orange Bird! He’s one of those characters that isn’t overtly Disney, so I can incorporate him into my daily life without getting the side eye that can come with being an adult and carrying a princess bag or wearing Mickey jewelry (not that I let the side eye stop me :rotfl2:).

Honestly, I think social media has made a great deal of Disney merch. more popular in recent years than it has ever been before. One person posts a cute item they bought and then 10 more people immediately set off saying "Take my money!!", then they share what they bought online as well, and suddenly the whole world needs new ears or a sippy cup or a popcorn bucket---whether it's Orange Bird, Figment, or Oogie Boogie . 😄

Let's not even talk about WDW-themed Pandora or Dooney & Bourke releases...the fanaticism is fascinating to watch.

Thanks for this! I've seen him around but had no idea, wayyy before my time (didn't make it to DW until 2016). I grew up with Disney in the 90s and then had to wait till my 30s for DW (went to DL at 13 with my grandparents). So I'm really only familiar with obv Disney characters. Figment confused me too!

One of my souvenirs from my '79 trip was a plastic Orange Bird figure/statue. I had that for a long time (not now). I do remember wondering about it when we went back in '84 and later. I was thrilled when he came back.

When I was a child in the 80s it was the mascot of the Florida welcome centers. I thought it was so cute and my parents bought me a little figure. I had kept it all these years and what a surprise when I saw him back at MK not too long ago. Now I have the dress, purse, etc. Even masks..... So cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter