What were your parents common sayings growing up?

go get a chair so i can hit you. :cake: Lol no really
lets see:

one hand washes the other in life
you reap what you sow
and my personal favorite used when i had won an argument
you give an asprin a head ache

My mom used to say, You can love a rich man as much as a poor one.
What the heck? I have no clue why she would say this to a young child. :rotfl2:Granted it was a time when women rarely worked outside the home. My mother was not shallow, but I thought it was such an awful thing to say given my father was not the rich man in the equation. :laughing:

Last edited:

My dad was pretty quiet so I can’t remember anything he commonly said. The first thing that popped in my head for my mom though was when we were little and got in trouble and started crying my mom would say “Stop crying or I’ll give you something to really cry about”.

My Irish mom, whenever we had a pain, told us to 'offer it up for the poor souls in purgatory'. She was not a warm, sympathetic person. Then when she was in her 90's and complaining constantly about something hurting, it was so hard not to repeat that back to her. But I managed not to!

My dad used to say 'well sir and Bob'. don't know where that came from!

Stop saying and start doing.

it’s as easy to marry a rich woman as it is a poor one.

You have two ears and one mouth, do twice as much listening as you do talking.

The poor children in Ireland would love to have that food you won’t eat. So eat.

My dad has all kinds of stuff he says. A few favorites are "Holy Jumpin' Up and Down" if something startles him or seems especially wacky. "Life is Full of Choices" when you made a bad decision and then had to deal with the consequences. My step sister (who is the one in the family who makes the most bad decisions), is getting "Life is Full of Choices" written in Dad's handwriting tattooed on her arm for his birthday in January.

My mom used to say, You can love a rich man as much as a poor one.

Mine too! (or close - I think her exact quote was "It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor one.") Maybe it was a line from a movie or something?

I also remember hearing all of these, if not by my own parents, then by their friends to their kids:
Because I said so
I'll give you something to cry about
If all your friends jumped off the Empire State Building, would you?

And I don't remember this one, but I love it! -
Beauty Is for a minute, smart is forever

Last edited:
Because I said so
I'll give you something to cry about

This right here. I vowed never to say either of these things to my own kids.

On the other hand, here’s something my father-in-law used to say when it was hot in the house that I always thought was funny: “Throw another log on the air conditioner.”

I have a whole slew of them. My sister and I always say we are going to write a book.
Here's a few:
If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump is bottom(nicer word)
Do a bear go in the woods?
It's colder than a well diggers *** in Alaska
If I had a head like that and it didn't hurt, I'd be worried
You make a better door than a window
The sky's the limit...as long as it's under 2 dollars
You can call me anything just don't call me late for supper
Don't start a fight but you can sure finish it

My dad loved middle names, and not as a "yelling when you are in trouble" way, but as an affectionate nickname. So I was very often Allison Joy to him, and I use that as my username for websites now, as you can tell. A funny one is that if we complained about a bad play in sports, he'd often say, "Yeah, but it's not as bad as..." and we'd be able to finish with, "Yes, I know. It's not as bad as the time Colorado got five downs." A more frequent one for my dad was "For cryin' out loud!"

My mom I know has some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter