• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What were you doing when you were 23?

At 23 I was just out of the closet. It was 1983. I was living in an apartment in Boston. I was working at a Christy's Market near the BU campus. Every night dancing the night away at Chaps, Jacques or Buddies. 35 years later I look back on it as one of the happiest periods in my life.

Working on my master’s degree during the day, waited tables 5-9 most nights and loaded 18 wheeler trailers for UPS from 11-3 in the morning! Looking back now I have no idea how I did that!

Grad school with a part time job. I was typically going to school 3 days a week, so I'd be working 8 hours on the other days. Most of my classes were early in the morning, so I'd typically have all day to study for a few hours and then just waste my time doing whatever I felt like doing.

I was 2 years out of college, had a job, and was supporting myself by living with roommates - but I was not yet working at a job that would sustain me forever. My dh, who I didn't know yet, graduated from college shortly after turning 23. He took an extra year due to a 9 month long internship.

I think young people now think they have to "have it all," as in buying homes, affording everything they want, etc. right away and they don't!

Last edited:

Single mom of two little boys. Working and going to school full time. It wasn’t easy and we didn’t have a lot of money but it was good. Oh and I met dh that year!

My oldest was just beginning his career in the oil field where he still is at 36 and doing great.

My younger son was just out of the army and floundering a little. Then met his wife and had oldest dgd and everything fell into place.

Dd isn’t there yet!

I had gone back to college to finally finish my degree when I was 21 and was still there at 23. Got out of school, got a job and then was offered the job I had been waiting for so embarked on my new adventure. The rest of my 20's were a whole lot of fun!! LOL...

I was in my last semester of college, working three jobs, living in a rundown house with my then-boyfriend (now husband) and two other guys, and just recently engaged.

I fondly recall the 22-26 years as some of the best of my life. No money, but lots of love, great friends, lots of adventure and some very memorable nights!

I was 23 the year I got married, we made our first of several long distance moves, bought a house, started new jobs, I got pregnant on our honeymoon and gave birth two weeks after turning 24 (DH was still 23).

My kids are 21 and 19 now--it will be interesting to see where they are at at 23---oldest was visiting for 6 weeks over summer break and talking about getting married to the person they are dating shortly after graduation---so who know? Maybe not all that different.

Vietnam War behind me, I was home trying to catch up with lost time, career wise. Took some night courses at UVM and got married somewhere in there as well. Seems like a busy year.

I got married when I was 23 and 11 months, so I spent most of 23 being engaged and preparing for a wedding. I moved out of my parents house in MI down to my own apartment in TN when I was 22, almost 23, to be closer to my then boyfriend, now husband. Had my first real full time job, my own apartment, paying my own bills and learning about life on my own. It was a great year for me.

Was engaged, married at 24. Was finishing my bachelors degree, and working as an interpretive guide at the local state park.

I happened to see this thread pop up on the home page & I thought it was very timely, since I will be turning 23 in almost exactly two months :) I enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Right now, I am in my first year of grad school, engaged, and living abroad with my fiance. I'm half-planning the wedding but trying hard not to let myself go crazy because I want to wait until I'm done with school to get married & start a family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter