• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What were the least favorite things your parents would have you eat growing up?

Liver - with onions. Thank goodness I like onions, and the dog ate the liver under the table!
American chop suey makes me gag. Hated having that for supper. Dog got a lot of that too!

Sliced tomatoes. DM would slice off a big round of beefsteak tomato and we'd have to finisn it or we couldn't leave the table. Not sure that that was supposed to accomplish, but I will not eat fresh tomatoes to this day.
Anyone have to eat home-jarred plums or peaches? Yuck - thinking about it now, that was another one. DGM grew up during the depression and would not waste anything - including mushy jarred fruits.

My parents’ parenting style was way before its time - if you didn’t like what was for dinner - you were free to make yourself a bowl of Cheerios

Pretty much any kind of meat my mom cooked or my dad grilled. You couldn’t tell the hamburgers from the charcoal briquettes after my dad got done. They were always dried up and black. Couldn’t swallow the meat my mom cooked so I’d leave it in little globs around my plate.

I didn't mind the liver and onions, it was the cheap steak that was the worst. My dad wanted steak, but he didn't want to pay for steak prices. So my mom would buy round steak, but cook the heck out it because of course, my dad would not eat medium rare, it had to be well, well done. It would not break down when you chewed it and you would spit out this mass of fibers that have lost all moisture and flavor. So well done steak is probably one of the grossest things that I can think of. I eat pretty much everything else, I am not picky.

Sliced tomatoes. DM would slice off a big round of beefsteak tomato and we'd have to finisn it or we couldn't leave the table. Not sure that that was supposed to accomplish, but I will not eat fresh tomatoes to this day.
Anyone have to eat home-jarred plums or peaches? Yuck - thinking about it now, that was another one. DGM grew up during the depression and would not waste anything - including mushy jarred fruits.
I love all of the things that you listed. Fresh tomatoes from the garden and stewed stone fruit are so good. These discussions are fun, I always joke that we know who would not survive the apocalypse by how picky they are with food. LOL

creamed corn-do not care for it to this day. homemade stuffing b/c mom would put the giblets into it from the turkey. once mom discovered stove top stuffing and started discarding the giblets i became a stuffing fan.

My mom is a really great cook EXCEPT for steak which she always made well done. I could never figure out why people raved over steak. These days I do enjoy steak but medium rare or rare.

My parents were pretty good at not making us eat things we really really hated. We could always make ourselves cereal/a sandwich/canned soup/etc. if we didn't want what mom made for dinner.
My least favorite meals were things like lasagna and tomato based pastas. I hate tomatoes, but I can manage to eat them if they're pureed and cooked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter