• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What were the biggest shocks for you when you first moved out of your parents?

How horrible it was to do dishes and how bad I was at it. We always had a dishwasher growing up. I never did dishes until I moved out

That some of my roommates had never cleaned, shopped, cooked, paid bills, etc. I'd done all of the above so nothing was a big surprise.

I had one roommate who thought I was a pig because the bathroom would get dirty and need cleaning when it was her turn. She had never had her bathroom get dirty before so any grime that accumulated had to have been mine. Turns out her mom had always cleaned her bathroom. I always wondered what happened when/if she eventually lived on her own or somewhere where there wasn't someone else ever cleaning.:crazy2:

Last edited:
How little things changed for me and how I didn't have to live on just ramen noodles. I didn't move out until after college and I was in great shape to buy a house. I was so nervious about it though, but it was never a struggle. I am probalby the exception though.

Having to bank and write checks and stuff. My Mom always helped me with that. I was stunningly ignorant of how to do my own banking.

I was always careful with money. Like a previous poster, I always had a dishwasher and hated hand washing dishes. I also really didn’t know how to cook. I got pretty good in my later twenties and now I have been teaching my kids.

How none of my roommates knew how to write a check to pay bills.

The 5 lbs I gained from dinners of a large plate of fries and gravy in the cafeteria. Also, that my roommates would use my kitchen stuff and then just leave it in the sink for me to wash.

Last edited:
That my stepmother was right, I would move out one day and actually have some "nice towels" that are only to be used when someone stays over. She gloated about it for a good 6 months when i mistakenly told her that.

All joking aside, I wasn't shocked by anything. I grew up broke and learned to live on a penny to penny budget for a long time.

The fact that my roommates could not cook was baffling to me. I was taught to make "a lot from a little". They ordered out so often. And then drooled over meals I made for basically $2.

Laundry. My mom washed all my clothes at home growing up. My first apartment didn't have a washer or dryer. I spent a ton of time those first few years in some sketchy laundry mats.

My wife and I rented a new condo for 13 months, We got KILLED on taxes. Only made $30,000 combined income, rent was $500 a month. We HAD to buy a house, to reduce the tax bite.

How much I missed having family around to just hang out. It takes me a long time to trust people, and I don’t make friends easily. You really can be lonely in a crowd.

How much food other people wasted and how much convenience food they purchased. The inability to clean up behind themselves always threw me for a loop as well.

How little space I needed. I started my post-living-with-my-parents life renting a small one-bedroom apartment. I didn't upgrade until about 18 years later. When a new job led to a move, I downgraded again.

You definitely start to understand your parents on some things. But there were pluses: more privacy, a place you can arrange yourself without mom's fake plants or rustic decor. So much quieter without loud family too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter