• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What were the biggest crazes of your childhood?

Disco. Disco everywhere.
Satin jackets with matching shorts. My Godmother bought me a pink set. I thought I was hot stuff.
Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley on TV.
Batons. I remember one Christmas where everyone wanted a baton. I have no idea why, but we got one. I mostly remember clunking myself in the head with it when trying to twirl it.

The original Howdy Doody tv show at 5:30. There was a years long waiting list to get tickets. Never got tickets.

In the 60s we had a thing that was fake fur, flat and maybe 4 inches across and about 10 inches long and all it had was 2 eyes on it. When you pet it, one side of it would go up. I tried to google for a picture and all I found was a thread from 60s fad toys that described it. I remember having them taken away in elementary school because they were a distraction.

And Troll dolls.

This is so much fun to read, OP, thanks!
I remember hoola hoops, mood rings, yin/yang rings, 3 foot tall dolls that walked with you (holding on to their arm).
I still have my mood ring from the 60's:)
saddle shoes. I hated them - they were very hard, nonflexible, and uncomfortable.
Capezio's shoes (does anyone remember them?) They were too expensive for me, so I got knock off's.
Polishing white tennis shoes with white shoe polish. They seeped through to your skin and stunk!!! LOL.

I collected stickers too, some were those weird kind with dark, reflective liquid inside. Also puffy, holographic, scratch n sniff, you name it. Sandylion was a big brand.
Here's the childhood craze bandwagons I was on board with:

Garbage Pail Kids
Toys: Star Wars figures -Transformers - GoBots - Micronauts - Masters of the Universe- Ghostbusters - GI Joe - MadBalls - etc etc etc.
BMX Blue Max bike
Big Wheels!
Yo momma jokes!
All the lingo -"rad" "psych!"
Member's only Jackets, Parachute pants
Fruit roll-ups, Capri Sun, Hubba Bubba gum, Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies, Smurf Crunch cereal, TCBY frozen yogurt
Scholastic Books, and free books on Reading is Fundamental days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter