• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What we did right and wrong with DS4 and DS7 (long)

MichiganMommy

Mouseketeer
Tips for traveling with 4 and 7 year old

We just returned from a week at WDW. There was me, DH, DS4, and DS7. We flew from Michigan and stayed 3 nights at WL and 4 nights at the SWAN. This is what I did right, and what I’ll do differently next time.

What we did right:
1. Brought umbrella stroller for DS4. He did fine in the mornings at MK without a stroller. But it was great to have at the airport, if only to hold our hideously heavy backpacks for a while. We also walked between the Swan and Epcot several times. DS7 could handle it but DS4 was tuckered out. DS4 also walks REALLY, REALLY slow especially when he’s tired so we were really glad to have the stroller outside the parks. The umbrella size was really nice for maneuvering in crowds and folding up for bus rides. We forgot it and rented at EPCOT one day. I do have to say that the rental strollers are really maneuverable and easy to push, but we needed one outside the parks.

2. We came back to the hotel for a swim break every afternoon. DS7 needed it as much as DS4.

3. We got to MK when it opened. We did early entry at MK twice.

4. This actually happened by accident, but I’m glad that both my kids were sitting cross-legged with their legs and feet up on their chairs at Epcot’s “Honey I shrunk the audience”. Lets just say that there are some tactile effects synchronized with the film. The preschooler girl behind us was hysterical because she thought a mouse ran up her leg!

5. Also by accident, we also did the Journey into imagination early one day and the “laboratory” section was almost empty. There are some really cool sight/sound experiments for young kids there. It’s just nicer when it’s not crowded.

6. I used the WDWIG site to look at and print out menus for many of the restaurants. Most of the counter service restaurants have only 1 or 2 items on the kids menu, so it was nice to plan ahead instead of arriving at a restaurant and finding out that the kids menu wasn’t really what we wanted. Also, I had heard that you can get PB&J at almost every restaurant, even if it isn’t on the menu. We only tried this twice (at the Parrot Mexican place in Adventureland, and at Cinderella’s castle at dinner) and it didn’t work either place. The mexican place doesn’t have pb&j and Cindy was all out of PB. We also ordered PB&J at the Epcot Land food court and got uncrustables. My kids like these, but it wasn’t enough to fill up DS7. Luckily they were able to sell us some bananas even though they weren’t on the menu.

What I would do differently:

1. If there is anything my kids would eat on the kids menu BESIDES chicken nuggets, I’d make them get it. Many restaurants, especially at MGM have ONLY chicken nuggets on the kids menu. Both my kids like them, but they were thoroughly sick of chicken nuggets after a week.

2. We would not do stress about getting to Epcot and MGM for early entry. At Epcot, only a few things are open early and World Showcase never opened before 11 am when we were there. At MGM most of the things we wanted to do were shows and “Honey I shrunk the kids” and they all opened at 10 or later.

3. Never go to Fantasyland in the later afternoon/evening. We did this one day because we wanted to see the MK fireworks and it was packed (on Feb 26th). I know that other times of the year are probably worse, but the wait was 25 min for Pooh, 30 min for Peter Pan, Small World was broken, and I didn’t even bother the check the wait for the Speedway. We got FASTPASSes when we could, but still waited much longer than in the mornings.

My kids are 8-10 & 12 years old and they still freak out in HOney I Shrunk the Audience. I'm pretty sure next trip DH and I will be going in alone!

Thanks for the great tips! We are taking my 4 yr. old dd in May. What are your thoughts about Epcot and your 4 yr. old? Did he really love anything particular? Did you find that you needed an entire day there? Sorry for so many questions!!!!

cbberry-We took our 4.5 yr DD to Epcot in January. Wasn't her favorite, but she still had fun. If she is 40 inches tall all the rides are open to her. Universe of Energy can be a little boring for preschoolers, but the Dino's in the ride made it worthwhile. Spaceship earth was relaxing, and test track was a big hit. Epcot pavillions are "hands on" so if the 4 year old enjoys childrens museums, they'll will be great.

At first we thought World Showcase would be boring for her. We bought her the PASSPORT (At the gift shop on the way back to World show case,$9.99). That made all the difference. For each land there are stamps that are pictures of sites in that land. DD had a blast finding them. Each land had a KIDCOT station where you decorate a mask, and add a paper charm to it. Also rather than eat a true lunch we ate our way around World Showcase. At each counter service in each land we would order one dish and split it among the 4 of us. She got a taste of different cuisines, surprised herself with what she liked (Beavertails in Canada, Fish n Chips in UK, Creme Brulee in France, etc)
Best advise is to go slowly through the park and enjoy the sites. DD loved the entertainment in each land. She belly-laughed at the living statute's antics, mesmerized (sp) by the drums in Japan, and was scared *** by the Malestrom.
Have fun

Originally posted by MichiganMommy
Tips for traveling with 4 and 7 year old

1. If there is anything my kids would eat on the kids menu BESIDES chicken nuggets, I’d make them get it. Many restaurants, especially at MGM have ONLY chicken nuggets on the kids menu. Both my kids like them, but they were thoroughly sick of chicken nuggets after a week.

Our kids last year (at ages 9, 6, 3) would ask to share an adult meal at most eateries. They would split a chicken sandwich or order of fish and chips. We found this to be cost effective as well as 2 kid's meals were around $3.69 each whereas one adult's (no drink since we had water) was $5-$7. I've noticed that there is a rash of chicken nuggets, PBJ and mac-n-cheese on the kids' menus. Thank goodness for eggroll stands. My kids don't really eat a lot of "kid foods" because we don't serve "kid foods" at home. So when we go somewhere (even non-Disney) they will often order something off the adult menu and split it between themselves. Waiters sure look at my kids funny when they order a 12oz steak medium rare! LOL!!

We have also found that many times I can split my meal with one of the kids as well. The 1/2 roasted chicken at Tusker House at AK is enough to feed not only me but my kids as well. We just have to order 2 extra orders of garlic mashed potatoes!

:earsgirl:

MichiganMommy~Thanks SO much for the tip about putting the kid's feet up at Honey I Shrunk the Kids. We've never been on that one and would have never known! I just know my DS, 6 would have freaked, probably would be out of sorts for the rest of the day.

Catwho~ had to chuckle about your kids who don't like much "kid food". I have one like that. He ate stuff like ham and cabbage, pepperoni and bleu cheese before he was 5. :confused:
Then I have 2 who pretty much ONLY eat kid food. They all pop out different, don't they?

deb305!! Thanks for your tips and input about Epcot. This is the first I've heard of a preschooler being scared of Malestrom. Tell me more! Did you do a trip report? I would love to hear (read) all about your dos and don'ts in all the parks. Thanks again! Michele
:earsgirl:

I WISH my kids would share an adult entree. It would me a miracle if they could agree!

cbberry - we road Maelstom last week. You ride in a viking boat on water. There is the deep voiced Viking sounding narrator that doesn't sound the most inviting - he's talking through the whole thing. Then there are trolls and a sea monster. Nothing is sudden, but it's pretty dark and there are some tree stumps that turn (slowly) into trolls - eyes glowing and root/branch hands. When you see the see monster the boat goes backwards "to get away". The monster is at the front of the boat, we were near the back, and I don't think DS4 could hardly see it. Anyway, you go backwards for a couple of minutes and then go forwards down a gentle ramp with a little splash. We didn't get wet at all - I think you would have to lean over the edge to get wet. The boat then lets you off on a simulated dockside village which is very quaint. You go into a theatre to see a film. I haven't watch the film in several years, but unless they changed it, it's sort of a snoozer. I usually like those films too, but I recall this one was pretty boring. You can just walk through the theater and go out the other side. Of course you must exit through the labyrinth gift shop. Hope this helps you decide if it's right for your family!

MichiganMommy, thanks for all the great details about the Maelstrom ride. I think we will be okay on it. Michele

Originally posted by MichiganMommy
The preschooler girl behind us was hysterical because she thought a mouse ran up her leg!

I'm no preschooler :lol: but I still have nightmares after my trip!!!! :eek:

Great info, thanks for sharing it. One thing that we do with our kids is to rattle off items from the appetizer menus. Usually they find something there that they like. Another good option is soup and salad. My DD loves those 2 things and can make a meal out of it. DS isn't much of a salad eater but loves soups.

We also try to look up the menus before we go and plan on restaurants that have other choices on the kids menus.

I noticed on my trip last week is that some restaurants are starting to add more items on the kids menus. Jiko's has a very nice kids menu, including salmon, grilled chicken both with mashed potatoes, carrot and celery sticks with dip. Peas and carrots as a side dish, etc

Le Cellier has a kids steak. Rose and Crown has a kids size prime rib (not on the menu but always available). Alfredo's has pasta and they will serve it with marinara, alfredo sauce or plain.

Great report, Michigan Mommy. I consider myself a Disney veteran, but I've never gone with kids *this* age (almost 4 and 6 1/2), y'know? They were littler or I was alone.

My question is about the passports and Kidcot stations. I'm sure the passport would travel well, but would the Kidcot projects make it home to bring to school? DD will be missing a week of first grade, her teacher is fine with it but I'm sure DD would love to show 'n' tell all about Epcot.

dandelion,

With regards to the mask projects at the kidcot stations:
both my children made them last year and really enjoyed the process. We placed them in a plastic bag and laid them on top of the suitcase before closing. They got home just fine and made a neat show and tell. Now.... the downside for adults is having to help drag the mask (on a stick) around Epcot all afternoon (or 2 afternoons in our case) and waiting at each station while your kids do the project. If you have a slow colorer or if the station is crowded it can be a pain. But having said all that we were glad we let them do the masks! Next trip we will just do the passports.

Thanks vicb, I think we'll plan on the passports and see how it goes with the masks. Dd would love it, but her little brother would be bored beyond belief, he's just not into "art" at this stage. Now if he could set up a train layout at each country, that he'd love. :rolleyes:

My kids loved making the masks, which was both good and bad. They had a great time, DH and I got bored waiting for them. We bought passports and they did the masks too. The passports are nice for older kids because usually the kidcot cast members will write a greeting in thier language. We went to epcot 2 days and forgot to bring back the 1st set of masks. We thought we could get by with just doing the passports that evening, but at the 1st kidcot station, a friendly CM offered the mask to DS4 and he was delighted to color it. We would have looked very grinch-like if we didn't let him do it. Instead we avoided the kidcots at some countries otherwise we would never have made it through the World Showcase!

cbbery/michele
Thanks for the interest. We haven't done a trip report. Below are the things our 4yr DD loved, and things we avoided. I couldn't tell if you had a boy or girl, so some of the princess stuff may not interest a boy. Also when DD is scared its a screaming instead of crying scared. Scared for her means once is enough.

MK-
Loved Pooh Ride (special ride effects great), Snow White (very dark and scary in fun way), Small World (more to irritate her Dad), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Very scared, glad she did it once, a mild roller-coaster), Haunted House (more scared at 4 than when 3),Pirates of Caribbean (sp) (Loved the dark cave feeling of the waiting areas), Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Transit Authority (especially the part where they ride through Space Mountain) and Dumbo (wanted to be like in the commercials)and Mickeys and Minnies houses in Toon Town

We did not do Speedway (Lines way too long), Rides w/42" and over requirements, the character meets in Toon Town ( With the abundance of character you usually see them out and about in the parks, hard to move 50 yards without running into them. Normally this is a good thing but by the end of the week she was avoiding them because of overload), Hall of Presidents (too young to understand), or Aladdin's magic carpets

She did not like Jungle cruise (she's an AKL fan instead), Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, or the play areas in Toontown (more Toddler Oriented)

Non-ride MK thinks she loved were Cinderella's Breakfast (Fairy Godmother was spectacular, make sure you at least take the stairs down from Restaraunt when you leave for the view), Cinderella's Story on the Main Street side of Castle (Has all of he major princesses and their Princes, Capt Hook and Peter Pan have a sword fight on one of the towers, Donald Duck is hillarious, and Mulan does a great job, Also will see Evil Queen, Wicked Witch, and I think Jafar along with Mickey, Minnie, Daisey (?) Pluto and Goofy), Bell's Storytelling on the tommorrowland side of the castle, Sword in Stone by the carosel (sp), and both parades. For the afternoon parade make sure they are up front along the parade route, they'll have an opportunity to join in the parade when it stops for dancing!!. Spectromagic was breath taking
For food try the Dole whip, and anything from Bakery on Mainstreet.

AK- Probably her favorite. She did every ride but the Roller Coaster. Rafki Watch has a great petting zoo, and the two trails (Kilamanjaro and Pangeni) are great for viewing animals. She talked about the Bug's Life 3-D Show in Tree of Life for ever! The Dinosaur ride is a scary rough ride, on the picture they show at the end of the riders, all you could see was the back of her sweatshirt as she was bent over screaming (in a good way). The Lion King show is her favorite. Try to be down front, and maybe they'll be able to be a part of the warm up. The Safari ride is incredible, make sure they sit along the edge!! The Boneyard playground was fun.
The street performers are great, especially in Africa. We could not find DeVine, tried really hard. The parade is also very interactive. Some characters, but the interpretative moving animals are great. For meals/Snacks she loved the barbeque at Tusker House, and Fruit from the fruit cart outside the Safari.

MGM- Playhouse Disney is a must. Try to get up front. Kids are encouraged to stand up and dance along, catch streamers and bubbles as well. Indiana Jones was great show, also try to get front and center. Backlot Tour was great, especially Catastrophe (sp) Canyon. On the tram try to have her on the left side for the best effect. The great Movie ride is slow, but if they know Oz, Indiana Jones, Alien, then the ride will have some relevance.
The parade is fun to see the characters, Especially TV characters (Hercules, muppets etc). No character interaction though. Beauty and Beast show is breath taking but only if he/she really loves the story. She did not do the thrill rides. TOT just looked to scary for her. Lots of hard to find characters in the park. Back by Mama Melrose/Pizza Planet are the Toy Story characters and spillover from muppets. Also on the New York City Street, near Harold Square (?) there are some character meets that most people miss.
For some reason, counter food seems scarce in the areas we were at MGM. Mama Melrose and Prime Time Cafe were a big hit.

4 year olds definitely see WDW different than school age children. We learned that the hard way when we travelled before with my then 10 and 12 year old niece/nephew.

Have fun, remember you can't see everything without going into overload, so enjoy fully the things you do. Forgot to mention at EPCOT they have a Sept 11 flag found in the rubble. She was old enough to know the significance of the flag, and to share a reverent tear.
Can't wait to hear how your trip went

Our son, now 5, rode Splash Mountain, but cried for Illuminations. Every kid is different. He was fine on Haunted mansion at 3.

I would take it slow with the rides. If you think it might not be okay, skip it. Do a character greeting or get an icecream cone instead. The important thing is to make HAPPY memories!!

We had six very successful trips last year, following the advice on these boards (which were all the things that went "right".)

We have had great luck with rides in the evening at Epcot and MGM. At MK, we went for LTT and the parade, so our focus was not rides and we had a great time.

Strollers are a must for those who cannot walk long distances over a period of days (age does not dictate here!)

Getting to the parks early and taking breaks is MY NUMBER ONE PIECE OF ADVICE!!!

I would take a break, even if I didn't have kids with me. I just don't like being in the same clothes all day!!Yuk!

Oh yeah, we also check out the menus before making PS's to make sure my DS will like something on the menu.

Another opinion on kids in Epcot here - we went twice during 2002 - our first trip with the kids for a week in March - kids were 5, 11, and 13, then again for a week in December - now 6, 12 and turning 14 during the trip.

Surprisingly, Epcot was a major hit with all 3 girls. We bought passports for all three girls - but they were really a waste of money for us. They enjoyed talking to the cast members and the greetings, but most CM's would put a little something right on the stick of the mask with the stamp. The masks are proudly displayed on their walls from each trip - we just made sure they laid flat in the center of the suitcase so they wouldn't be banged and they made the trip just fine - and they are FREE!

They did make the World Showcase portion of Epcot take a LONG time - my 5 year old loves to color! Also, if you are planning to do the passports instead of the masks - good luck - the Kidcot stations where you get the stamps all have the masks available - DD5 could spot them a mile away = by far her favorite souvenir of the trips!

We did rent a stroller on both trips for most, but not all days. Epcot - a stroller for younger kids is a must - it is such a long day, and things are pretty spread out. With the older girls, we tended to stay out later - doing Illuminations, Fantasmic, MVMCP, etc., and Sarah would fall asleep in the stroller, using sweatshirts/fleeces as pillows - the plastic rentals are hard! I wish that we could have found an inexpensive stroller large enough for a 5-6 year old - the park rentals fit her well, but when she fell asleep - the walk to the monorail/bus and back to the room was a killer! She is tall - 48 1/2 inches, and weighs about 50 lbs.

On our March trip - she was going through a more timid phase - anything dark or with fire freaked her right out. She Hated the Haunted Mansion, Fantasmic, all the 3-D movies, and even Kali River Rapids (the rain forest fire scene!) She was a thrill ride addict however - loved Splash, BTMRR, and especially Space Mountain. The more often the better! She couldn't wait to be tall enough for Rock and Roller Coaster.

Luckily, she had gotten past this by the December trip - now she loved the attractions she had lost it on in March. She did make the cutoff for RNRC, and loved it!! After enjoying Haunted Mansion, she thought she wanted to try Tower of Terror, but this was just a little too spooky! The drops weren't a problem, but the story line and holograms were not a hit! She swore she would never ride this again when we left!

Foodwise - she is a huge eater, and loves more adult and veggie oriented food. Unfortunately, her big sister is a kid's food addict! Chicken nuggets and hot dogs are the only reason she is alive today! In March, she was only 11, so this wasn't a problem, but in December, she was 12 - in Disney dining terms, an adult. This was not going to work, unless we only ate counter service all week! Luckily most restaurants were pretty flexible - no problem with Jennie ordering the kid's meal, although even when she was 11 - she never got the kid's souvenir cup, even though it was always given to our little one! She doesn't look like a kid - she is 5'7" at 12 years old!

Hope our experiences will help you with your choices - Happy travels!

can they just take them and color them later? My DDs are slow colorers and it would drive DH and I crazy to wait for them to color something in each country. I can probably convince them that they would be fun to color at home after the trip to "extend the magic" (they are gullible!) Is it possible to just pick them up and not color them there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter