What was your first school memory?

My first day of first grade they had me in the wrong classroom. That seemed to have started a lifelong trend of being in the wrong place at the wrong time :rotfl2: They didn't seem to know where I was supposed to be. Imagine how confusing that is when you're little and scared and its your first day of big school. It was like being the new girl having to be moved to another class halfway through. I remember in the 8th grade, halfway through the year, my teacher looked at one of my papers and said, "Your last name isn't Clarke?" um, no. She kept looking at her book and back at me like she was utterly confused. She even asked me again about my last name as if I didn't know it! There was a Dana Clarke in my grade but I was not she lol. I've always ALWAYS felt out of place like I didn't belong or like I was that person who fell through the cracks. My 5th grade graduation ceremony to send us on to middle school, we were all sitting on stage getting called up to get our little diplomas and I got skipped. I was in the front row so I sat there thinking I had failed my grade and was being publicly humiliated. My teacher finally looked over from the podium and realized she messed up. School was horrid. Don't get me started on the time my school left me and my friend at the San Diego Zoo while on a field trip. Yep, all busses were gone when we went back out front. That was 7th grade. These days, that would have made the evening news lol.

Really the only thing I remember about grade school is in third grade. My teacher was Miss Lambertini, who had arthritis in both hands very badly. We had a spelling bee, and I won. The price was a big glass jar of hard candies. When she went to hand it to me, it slipped from her hands and she started to cry. I told her it was allright, but she was still upset. The next day she brought me in another jar, this one bigger than the first, and set it on her desk for me to pick up! She was one of my favorite teachers!!

There was no Kindergarten when I was a child. We went straight to first grade. After nearly 70 years, I can still see my first grade teacher's face and remember how kind she was. She set the tone for all of my school years.

I have tons of memories from kindergarten, probably because I started in September and turned six in January. The memory that sticks out the most was we were making Christmas decorations and the lid fell off the jar of glitter I was using and it all dumped on my decoration lol

We had drawers instead of cubbies in my kindergarten class. They had little brackets on the front where we were supposed to insert small drawings about us so we would later be able to find where we kept our own stuff. On the first day of school, everyone drew colorful pictures of themselves, their family, pets, homes, etc. except for the little boy whose drawer was just to the right of mine. He pressed down as hard as he could and angrily scribbled all over his blank label in black and red. That was over 65 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

He left our class before Halloween and never returned.

My dad walking me to school for Kindergarten across the street from where we lived.

My parents taking me to the Catholic school where I answered a few questions before being placed directly in 1st grade.

Kindergarten. I remember wondering why the floor in the classroom was so darn hot and the air temperature was so cold. My first exposure to radiant instead of forced air heating. We had to take a nap every day, and if you rolled off your mat onto that hot floor you knew it.
I also remember the HUGE wooden blocks they had for us to play with. Mrs. Davis was the teacher.

holding hands with Ruby Weslow in the afternoon session of Yucca Valley kindergarten as she guided me as a new student to the afternoon hour....and smell of waxy milk cartoons and some boring cookies.....and wood toy trucks....and the clay....I was putty in her hands.

First day of kindergarten. My sister (3rd grade) and our neighbor (4th grade) were in charge of walking their respective little sisters to school and the classroom. I remember my sister saying, "This is your room. Go in." Then she walked away. I remember the teacher showing me the cubby where I could put my naptime rug. I recall tearing up a little during naptime because I missed my mom. Then I remember walking home with my neighbor and seeing her mom standing at the corner waiting for us. Our moms took turns meeting us about halfway so we didn't cross the street alone.

My first clear memory of school was wondering why one of the girls in our class had to go sit in the hall while we had the morning bible verse, prayer, and song. Our teacher explained to us that the bible was against her religion. She is the reason I am so against prayer in school. The grandchild of a survivor of Auschwitz should never be forced to be excluded because of her faith. This was 1966 in Saegertown PA.

We thought we missed the bus on the first day of Kindergarten. I was driven and ended up being the first in class along with a friend who lived a few houses from me as we came together.

1st day of kindergarten. My mom walked me the first day, but coming home I walked down the street where she was waiting for me. We walked the balance of the way home together.

We had morning and afternoon sessions, half way through the year they switched. So if you started out in the morning, the 2nd half was in the afternoon. I remember the first day, going into the “all purpose room”, sitting on the floor in the front. I put my foot underneath the stage retractable stairs. My foot got stuck and couldn’t get it out. I was all upset until my foot came out of my shoe and then I could get the shoe out.

I also remember the kindergarten playground and going outside.

I have many kindergarten memories, but can’t say which of them came first. A few “highlights” include a classmate eating paste, having to put our heads down on the tables with the lights out for a rest (and feeling it was unnecessary), and using the huge blocks to make a pretend store stocked with the empty food boxes we all brought in

I remember looking for a book to read on the book rack that looked more like a magazine rack. I looked through them and determined they were "baby books" and refused to read them. I also remember my mom being on the phone and turning around to me to ask why I wasn't reading in school. The teacher thought I didn't know how to read and my mom assured her I did. I told my mom that all they had was stupid baby books. The teacher got some books from the first grade room for me and I decided I would read them.

My first grade teacher calling me “pupil” in retaliation for calling her ”teacher”. Very confusing since I didn’t know what the word meant and it seemed to be an insult.
On the bright side it gave me the impetus to learn the meaning of every word I could think of but uhm I still don’t remember her name to this day.

First day of first grade. The teacher told us that she would turn into a witch if we misbehaved. I remember thinking she would *really* turn into a witch, like in the Wizard of Oz.

This is horrible, but in preschool I broke this other girl’s eggs that she brought in to dye at Easter time because I didn’t like that she had the same first name as me and she wasn’t nice to me. That’s probably the only mean thing I have ever done which is why I remember it clearly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter