what was your favourite things to do on vacation growing up?

Well, tough to know since we didn't go on vacation when I was a kid....lol. And I see that theme here. Many of us Gen X and Baby Boomers didn't take many vacations as kids.

There were a couple of "weekends" away....which meant, one night in a hotel at the Jersey Shore in a town slightly south of the one where we lived. The beach wasn't exactly a big deal....we were there every single weekend growing up as a kids. Which, don't get me wrong...we found enjoyable, but it wasn't like my parents thought outside of the box. My father liked to fish....liked the beach....so we went to the beach. We did, one time, drive to Florida in the back of a station wagon...to stay at my Grandparent's mobile home in Vero Beach for a few nights. We drove to WDW for a day trip, which was great. But that's the extent of our vacations as a family.

The only vacation we took were in our camper. We had a spot in Myrtle Beach for a few years and would go down there (3 hours drive) a weekend or 2/month during the summers. We would hand out at on the beach and at the pool they had. There were activities at the campground we did too.

The only other vacations we took were camping in the mountains of NC.

There wasn't extra money to do the type of vacations we take today.

We took very few vacations, but I do remember loving playing at the water’s edge, like a stream or lake. We would just throw sticks in, make little dams, etc.

Growing up our vacations were family tent camping within a few hours dive from home. We enjoyed singing around the campfire I guess.

I didn't know any of my grandparents, 3/4 died long before I was born, and the other one lived in Ireland, but I had an aunt who kind of functioned as one. She took us to Cedar Point for a day trip every summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter