What was the biggest Disney meltdown you've witnessed?

The last time I went to Disney, I was with my mother and my niece and nephew (the kids were under age 10 at the time). By the time the weekend came, I was getting incredibly fed up with my mother's various antics and her insistence on getting up early for every rope drop each day, walking super fast, etc. On the Saturday night, I had had more than enough and was stressed out too. I sat outside of the hotel room talking on the phone to one of my best friends practically in tears for about an hour - I am sure some people walked by wondering why too. I was also getting migraines due to the heat & humidity which at times didn't help (and I didn't realize those things were a trigger for me) then I got my period the day before we flew home which didn't help matters.

My mother had a bit of a hissy fit on the last day because I didn't go with her and the kids to the park, and I went alone later for a much needed time alone & refused to answer my cell phone. My feet were also blistered and sore too even though the shoes I had were well broken in too. That last day I simply walked very slow and went on a few rides for a few hours.

What I wrote above among other things is why I will not be going with her and the kids who are now teenagers in June. I like Disney but I will NOT go with my mother on a vacation again.

So I got another one for y'all too. When my son was 4, I took him on his first WDW trip. I asked him before we left what he wanted to see most. He already had it picked out - "Haunted Mansion". So I asked him again the day we left, and his answer was the same. On the plane, I asked him what we should do when we get there, and he said he wanted to go straight to Haunted Mansion. When we were on the magical express, I asked if he wanted to go to the room first - nope. He wanted to go to Haunted Mansion. We check in at the resort, and I asked if he wanted to look around - nope. Haunted Mansion. We go to the park and get in. It's now almost 1:30 and we haven't eaten at all, so I asked if he wanted lunch. You guessed it - Haunted Mansion. We go right to Haunted Mansion and get in line. I asked for confirmation and he said yup. We wait in line for 30 minutes - starving to death and the doors open for the ride.

DS braces his feet against the cement leaning away (since I have his hand he can't do much more) and yells "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I told him "Oh, you are not doing this. You wanted Haunted Mansion, you're getting Haunted Mansion, Kid". threw him over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes and walked on in. He spend the entire first room with his head buried in my shoulder blocking everything out in relatively silent sobs.

By the time we got to the ride, he was fine and normal. It's his favorite ride now (13).

Probably wouldn't have just carried him in like that if he hadn't insisted we do NOTHING ELSE until that ride. :-) He didn't really ruin it for anyone though or interfere with anyone. People around me found it amusing more than anything.

I don't know if you would call it a meltdown, but about 10 years ago we were at the Osborne lights at HS and two "gentlemen" got into a physical altercation. It was obvious that at least one of them was intoxicated. I am all for having a couple of beers, but if you are drinking to the point that you are getting into a fight at Christmas time in Disney...you might want to consider cutting back a little...just saying. My wife and I were dumbfounded by the whole event, and I felt sorry for their families who had to put up with their idiocy.

The first, my Dad had taken us to DL and we stayed in Garden Grove at the Embassy Suites. It was back when most hotels still had shuttles. We were on the shuttle one morning and this mom was really giving it to her tween daughter about eating breakfast. Now that I am a mom, I get it. The kid was probably giving her mom attitude and the mom knew if she didn't eat- things would get worse. But the whole ten minute ride, the mom was yelling at the kid to eat her muffin. She kept saying, "If you don't eat your muffin, we can not go to Disneyland." We still tell each other that more than 10 years later!

Love the quote, but am I the only one that hears it in my head like the end of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall"?

This one time I was in a line for Jack Skellington and Sally- it was a three hour wait. Halfway through the line, a kid barges through the entire line to 'meet up with his family'. Then another kid follows him. Then another. Then a woman, and after that a man. When the woman barged through, I knew exactly what they were doing. They were going one person at a time to the front of the line so they didn't have to wait. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to get in a fistfight with the parents for calling them out.

This one time I was in a line for Jack Skellington and Sally- it was a three hour wait. Halfway through the line, a kid barges through the entire line to 'meet up with his family'. Then another kid follows him. Then another. Then a woman, and after that a man. When the woman barged through, I knew exactly what they were doing. They were going one person at a time to the front of the line so they didn't have to wait. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to get in a fistfight with the parents for calling them out.
I SO would not have been able to keep my big mouth shut. Kuddos to you though, some things just aren't worth it.

Just remembered another thing that happened- wasn't exactly a meltdown but WOW. I got in line for the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin ride, and I was pretty happy and cheerful at the time. Then a woman barges right in front of me- I had no idea what was going on. Then, I looked in front of me and there stood her husband and her two, hypergenic, screaming, children. I was mortified- I knew exactly what was coming. They touched everything, screamed, stepped on everybody's feet, including mine, meanwhile the parents are just looking at their phones. I didn't have the courage to speak up.

I've got two more stories, so stay tuned.

I was getting into the FASTPASS line for Peter Pan's Flight, when a family jumps in front of me and tries to scan their magic bands....and they didn't have a FASTPASS. They proceeded to throw a fit 'I have FASTPASS! I have FASTPASS! Let me in!!!' But they had to go into the standby line.

And this one, is from my mother when I was 2.
Me, my grandmother and my mother were hanging around Toontown, and we had to split up for a reason I can't remember. So we told her we'd be in a certain spot, and when she checked that spot, we were nowhere to be found. She freaked out, and thought I'd been kidnapped. She ran to the nearest CM, and told her what I looked like and my name and such, before she had a full blown meltdown in the street. She was SCREAMING my name, and a cm was saying she couldn't do that, and then I just kinda ran over to her and said hi because me and my grandmother were on our way to the spot that we were supposed to be in.
Apparently, I got distracted by Goofy and followed him and my grandmother had to chase after me.

That's all the stories I've got that I can remember.

Biggest meltdown I've seen was my nephew who was around 5 iirc when we went down in August so heatwas a factor. His sister who was a bit over a year older was dressed as a princess and he wanted to dress up too so my bro and sil bought him a captain hook outfit with the ruffled frock and hook. At first he liked it but then his sister pointed out ever so kindly that he was a "bad guy". Well he started flipping out screaming crying that he didn't want to be a bad guy, he wanted to be a prince. What was worse was that we finally took the hook and told him he could be a prince if he wanted to be and sat down to eat when a princess came by our table and commented on what a pretty princess my niece was and what a " fierce hook" he was and he started screaming again..... :sad:

My son. Age nine. The year AK opened we were given free tickets to the new park for "dress rehearsals" several weeks prior to the official opening. We decided to use it for our departure day for the morning only as we had a strict driving schedule (22) hours. DS is ADHD with hypersensitivity and also a growth hormone deficiency so he looked like he was more like seven.

Because he needed so much structure, we had a very detailed touring plan and stuck to it. Adding another morning at a park he didn't even know existed, threw him for a loop. After about two hours and a disastrous ride on what is now called Dinosaur, he started crying, screaming and ran away as fast as I have ever seen him run. We could not catch up and had to enlist CMs to help us search for him.

He was found near a dead end sobbing next to a trash can.

The problem? He was missing his video game in the van. That was what the schedule had been as we headed home that morning. We left after a quick lunch and spent very little time at AK with our free ticket.

Oooooh boy...this happened 2 days ago but WOW. I've got very short hair, and I'm pretty short. I was wearing a grey shirt on my way to EPCOT, and while me, my mother, and my aunt were in line to scan our magicbands, there was this kid in front of me that my mother thought was me because he had the same colored shirt and hair as me, so she pushed on him by accident when she was trying to notify me that there was a shorter line nearby and then apologized. The kid just kinda turned around and stared at us, when my aunt, halfway through moving goes into full blast with her complaints and rudeness(previous examples are holding my mother on a phone call with her over nothing while she needed to pick me up at animation class, and yelling 'GO AHEAD [name]' whenever someone tries to talk whenever we go out to eat..)and yells 'WHAT DOES HE WANT' and 'WHY IS HE JUST STARING AT US' and then proceeded to scream 'WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU' to the kid...felt so bad for that kid. Kinda glad she didn't come with us to animal kingdom the day after...

two years ago I was in line for some sodas..I stepped back to let someone pass and just about stood on a ladies foot..I realized before I put any weight on it and quickly apologized...well she threw herself backwards on to the floor and started screaming and rolling about the floor!! I just stood there along with everyone else looking at her..her husband shook his head and walked away so I figured I would too..I just stepped over her and left her rolling about the ground still screaming!! Im still at a loss to this day why she did it apart from possibly wanting me to pay for her food?

About ten years ago, a family sitting in front of us at the LMA show at Disney Studios got into argument while we were waiting for the show to start.

One of the family members, a woman in her fifties or sixties, went into full blown meltdown mode complete with tears and foot stomping because the rest of the family wasn't agreeing with her plans for the rest of the day.

She finally stood up and threatened to leave, and a man in their party (who I'm assuming was her husband) shouted at the top of his lungs "SIT DOWN LINDA!!"

She sat down, and people in the audience around us actually started to clap. It was incredibly, incredibly awkward.

To this day my sister and I still say "SIT DOWN LINDA!" to one another if one of us starts getting overly dramatic about something petty.

I found this story so amusing, that I shared it with my family. Now we have started saying, "Sit Down, Linda!" when someone is getting too uppity! :D

When discussing Disney vacations my mother still brings up a tantrum I threw on Disney's Big Red Boat cruise in 1990. I was maybe about 4 or so and completely lost my mind in a shop because my mother wouldn't buy me a Donald Duck doll because she thought "it was ugly" lol. She said she remembers it so well because I was always the quietest and most introverted child and that outburst was the first and only time I displayed such outlandish behavior. Crying, nose running, stomping, screaming the whole nine yards. It ended with my grandma saying, "Just get him the damn duck!".

I still look for the Donald Duck on ebay from time to time to buy it as a joke for my mom.

A mother was totally over her two sons while waiting to be seated at Sci Fi. It was their last day as we found this out while she had her meltdown!! The two very active boys were jumping on and off the waiting bench that she had asked twice for them not to do that but third time was the charm. She got a hold to both of them, made them sit down and proceeded to tell them how happy she was that their vacation was over and she didn't care how late they got home, that they would be at school first thing the next day!! :rotfl:

The meltdown that wasn't.

I had taken my 3 kids and a friend for each to WDW. (I really should see a psychiatrist about my masochistic tendencies).
Well my son and his friend were about 16, two of the girls were 14, the other two girls were 12. My son's friend and my daughter's friend (14) took an instant dislike to each other, so now the battle lines have been drawn boys against the girls.
We're in the magic kingdom parking lot waiting for the tram and the girls got some stupid, little toy the boys had won at one of the arcades and threw it into the bushes and it was lost. So we're waiting for the tram and they are all bickering - I've had it and send the boys to the end of the line: "Just get away from each other before I lose it!" The tram arrives and I see my son in conversation with the cast member at the back of the tram - the one with the microphone to make the tram announcements, I don't think anything of it (I should have known better). So everyone boards the tram and I hear my son's voice on the speakers - he's auctioning off his sister and her friend to anyone on the tram willing to take them.
I was mortified - the girls,since he can see exactly what they are doing and is describing them in detail to the guests on the tram, are trying to hide under the seats.They turned so red a cooked lobster had nothing on them.

They are now 30 and 28, get along great and we all start an auction whenever we get on each others nerves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter