What was simple now incredibly complicated?

YES! I had to call credit bureau and it took 25 minutes to get to a human. She asked what help I needed and when I told her she directed me back to automated system after I just told her it did not work! :furious:
Credit bureaus are slammed lately due to an incredible amounts of fraud. Unfortunately their automated systems seem to work as poorly as most companies.

Watching TV. Am I using the right remote? Do I have it on the right input? Is the show on Netflix, Apple TV, or Amazon Prime?

I honestly don't now how older people manage. My poor mother, in her early stages of dementia, simply left the TV off.
I totally agree!!! I feel like an idiot when I can’t figure it out and have to get one of the kids to find the right source and put the show on.

Buying event tickets. No more box offices or same-day on-site sales. Everything is through Apps now, some of which work better than others. Tickets to sporting events are almost completely controlled by 3rd party re-sellers. :( I lament for the days of just walking up, paying cash for a paper ducat and keeping the stub for a memento.
You beat me to it. You have to have a smart phone. You have to download an App. You have to make sure your phone is charged. You have to hope the venue is set up so during day events the sun doesn't wash out the screen so the readers the attendants have can read them, and hope the crack in the screen doesn't prevent it from being read. Okay, I am a grumpy 64 year old, but the ticket takers at Spring Training are mostly volunteers, many are snowbirds in their 70's and 80's, standing in the 100 degree sun, trying to get technology they don't understand to work.

Credit bureaus are slammed lately due to an incredible amounts of fraud. Unfortunately their automated systems seem to work as poorly as most companies.

It could’ve been any business. Just the luck of the draw this day.

I wasn’t frustrated with waiting. The irritation started when I got a real live person, explained what was going on, and she connected me right back to the same system that I just told her would not allow me to do what I needed done. I just wanted a live person because I couldn’t do it without one. And when I giddily reached her, she connected me right back to square one. 🤦🏼‍♀️

It didn’t help that the automated system wouldn’t connect me to a representative. Not because it was too busy, or after hours, but because it wasn’t a function of this process. 🙄

Thankfully, 45 minutes later, it was resolved with a very nice human.

Just wait til the day you die and your online identity continues to survive. You will have to leave a financial legal directive to your heirs to take legal control of your identity to prevent fraud.
Just a warning to prepare for your afterlife now!
Have fun

So many good answers here!

I'll add one more: attending high school sports. Used to be, teachers sat at the door, took your money and handed you a ticket -- in you go. The hardest part was having cash money on hand. Now it's all electronic. You have to purchase a ticket ahead of time and show the teacher at the door your smart phone ticket. Don't have a ticket yet? We'll point you to a QR code on a poster over on the side wall -- you can go purchase a ticket. What's the problem? Grandparents who just want to see their kid play basketball, but they don't understand apps, etc. And people who don't have a credit card.

One more thing I don't think anyone's mentioned: convenience fees (which none of us find even remotely convenient) for buying online. I don't mind the fees when it's a choice, but when your ONLY option is to use their service, I despise it.

So many good answers here!

I'll add one more: attending high school sports. Used to be, teachers sat at the door, took your money and handed you a ticket -- in you go. The hardest part was having cash money on hand. Now it's all electronic. You have to purchase a ticket ahead of time and show the teacher at the door your smart phone ticket. Don't have a ticket yet? We'll point you to a QR code on a poster over on the side wall -- you can go purchase a ticket. What's the problem? Grandparents who just want to see their kid play basketball, but they don't understand apps, etc. And people who don't have a credit card.

One more thing I don't think anyone's mentioned: convenience fees (which none of us find even remotely convenient) for buying online. I don't mind the fees when it's a choice, but when your ONLY option is to use their service, I despise it.
I teach at a Title I HS where this is a very common issue, not just with grandparents. We have a very large population who don't have credit cards, that only use cash from cashing in paychecks. CIF apparently either doesn't know that there are people who don't have credit cards or (and I'm guessing this is actually it) they just don't care. They want people to buy tickets through their site (which also charges a fee -_-) for all playoff games so they can get their money automatically. Thankfully our AD knows this is just not realistic for our population and still allows people to get in at the door with cash. He still sends CIF our portion but it's just aggravating!

What happens if something goes wrong with the internet and banks? We as a society have been pushed to this cashless system and rely on the internet to do the vast majority of our banking in one fashion or another. As a school district, we were attacked by cyber criminals last year and they froze all of our systems. That is a real possibility for other aspects of our lives and I don't know if people have thought about it or not.

What happens if something goes wrong with the internet and banks? We as a society have been pushed to this cashless system and rely on the internet to do the vast majority of our banking in one fashion or another. As a school district, we were attacked by cyber criminals last year and they froze all of our systems. That is a real possibility for other aspects of our lives and I don't know if people have thought about it or not.
Just look at what they are doing to the innocent Russian citizens to see what is in store for us. Internet, communications, banking, their cars, all shut down at the click of a mouse.

My car’s radio. I just want some preset stations. It’s way to complicated.
Oh, I so agree! I bought a new car 18 months ago, and I just don't care to own a radio this complicated. I have no interest in connecting my phone and my car, but I sure do wish I had a CD player.

Thing is, this was the only choice for the car I wanted.

{{sigh}} It seems like every day I can add a new thing to this list. Today it's cruise vacation documents. Can't just click a tab on the website and print your docs then present them to the boarding agent at the port - no, that would be too simple, wouldn't it. Now I have to download an app, upload a bunch of information, including scanning my proof-of-vaccination, so it can generate QR codes to be read for boarding. Just why? :sad2:

What happens if something goes wrong with the internet and banks? We as a society have been pushed to this cashless system and rely on the internet to do the vast majority of our banking in one fashion or another.

I agree! We had a bad storm one year (Irene, in 2011, maybe?) that knocked out our power for days. None of the businesses around here could use their credit card machines, and many people were caught without cash on hand.

Logging into a lot of accounts online. Now almost all of them have to send a code to phone or email, etc. Also frequently resetting passwords. I appreciate the extra security, but lots more time consuming.
I'd be willing to take my chances. And the fact that passwords now need to be so convoluted is a major pain. I had to set up an account to run a new app yesterday and this was their protocol: Minimum 10 letters with at least two uppercase and at least two numbers and at least 1 special character and no two letters/numbers/characters repeated in a row (such as aa, 22 or ##). :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter