• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was/is your solo trip budget?

stephaniefergusson

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a 6-night solo trip to Disney World in the summer of 2019, so I'd like to start putting money aside for that. I know every trip is different, but I'm curious how much each of you put aside for your solo trip! Were there any costs that came up that you hadn't anticipated when you originally budgeted? Thank you!

I'm saving for the hotel, park tickets, food, transportation (probably uber), spending money, and any extra activities I plan to do. Should I add anything else to this list? Thanks!

I’m probably going to be in about $1500 on my upcoming trip, including what I already spent on air and tickets, but I am staying off property. On property would run more.

I use credit card miles to pay for flight, I have DVC points for lodging, and I already have an AP, so my budget is just food, drinks and extra things like golf. I tried to keep that under $400 or so for 5 days.

But to be honest, I didn’t really have a set budget.

Outside of lodging, food is the biggest variable cost. If I’m by myself, I probably spend about $50 to $60 a day on food and drinks. But it’s certainly possible to spend double that or more if you like signature dining.

I use credit card miles to pay for flight, I have DVC points for lodging, and I already have an AP, so my budget is just food, drinks and extra things like golf. I tried to keep that under $400 or so for 5 days.

But to be honest, I didn’t really have a set budget.

Outside of lodging, food is the biggest variable cost. If I’m by myself, I probably spend about $50 to $60 a day on food and drinks. But it’s certainly possible to spend double that or more if you like signature dining.

Or do table service every meal, as I am doing for a couple days.

For food I budgeted $50 a day. And I also got money on Disney gift cards to really keep the budget!

When I go on vacation to WDW my budget is pretty flexible but I typically don't spend more than $100 a day. This doesn't include my airfare which is about $500 roundtrip, my park tickets, nor does it include my hotel (I'm a DVC owner) or my transportation from/to the airport (magical express is included for DVC owners). In the DVC rooms I have a kitchenette so I usually order groceries (snacks/drinks) before I leave on my trip which are delivered to my room and I don't spend more than $100 on. So when I visit WDW for five days my budget is around $1300 to $1500.

I don't budget but I usually go during F&G and F&W so my food costs can be a bit high. Food tends to be my highest expense when solo, when I'm with my son we will usually do one high ticket experience each trip and always eat at least 5 out of 7 nights at TS with lots of refreshing adult beverages. If I had to guess I'd say without festivals my food costs would average to about $50 a day, I'm not a big meal eater so it would be something like:
Breakfast a muffin or a kid's breakfast platter to go with coffee in the room so that part if free. Lunch would most likely be a kid's QS meal or something like quacamole and a drink at La Cava in Mexico or a Cobb Salad at the HBD lounge in HS. Supper would be at a TS or possibly Nomad lounge in AK. If a TS, I tend to get something like a soup or salad and another appetizer, a wine flight and maybe dessert and coffee. I don't snack between meals very often since snacks can often be my meals and I don't drink soft drinks. I do drink refreshing adult beverages, usually wine or beer and that can be expensive at Disney. I go often so don't buy souvenirs very much other than once a year I'll buy a Christmas ornament and once a year I'll buy a mask in Italy, those can run pretty high, I've spent as much as $300 and as little at $75 for those. I have an AP so tickets are paid for and I do split stays with a night in a value or 2 nights in a moderate then I move over to an Epcot resort, which ever one is less and that includes Swan/Dolphin, that saves me a little money.

As a CM, my budget is a little different from most solo travelers, but I usually make up for not having to buy park tickets by spending more on souvenirs (like pins... I have WAY too many pins).

This upcoming trip, I’m trying to do a true “budget” trip. I’m using DVC points for the stay, airline points for the flight, and limiting the number of TS meals I do. And hopefully only buying a handful of pins at most. All in all, I’m hoping to spend less than half of what I usually do on a trip.

I have a solo trip planned for April.
4 nights at All Star Music- $562
AP - $0 for tickets
Flight- $11 on Southwest with points
Meals- none booked. I estimate $100 a day or so.

I budget 100 for food a day, but then I also do the dining plan. I'm in your shoes, I'm saving for a 2019 trip.

Last year I spent a little over $1,100 for 5 day hopper in February at ASM. This year I found airfare for $45 each way and am staying off site at an air bnb for $40 a night. My goal is to keep this trip under 1k. I've already booked the Frozen Ever After dessert party at $79 so that took a decent chunk of my budget but hopefully worth it.

Last year I spent a little over $1,100 for 5 day hopper in February at ASM. This year I found airfare for $45 each way and am staying off site at an air bnb for $40 a night. My goal is to keep this trip under 1k. I've already booked the Frozen Ever After dessert party at $79 so that took a decent chunk of my budget but hopefully worth it.

By ASM, do you mean Movies or Music?

I don't really budget, but I have an AP this year (and several leftover non-expiring tickets I bought before they were discontinued). I stay fairly cheap, usually value, and do few if any TS meals. There are plenty of QS places I enjoy, and that leaves more money for drinks! I use credit card points for flights, usually SW, which are fairly cheap.

I have splurged on some extras over the years, like the Halloween party, Wild Africa Trek at AK, and Keys to the Kingdom. This year I am doing the Disney after Hours at MK, though they extended the park hours till midnight the next day and extended the EM hours the day before till 11, so it may not have been necessary for my short trip.

I try and take a few long weekend trips a year and budget $1300 per trip. That includes hotel, airfare, transportation, food and any souvenirs that I want to buy. I've stayed both on-site and off-site within these parameters. I have an AP so tickets aren't an issue.

My fall trips usually get an additional $300 for wine and getting my Christmas shopping done.

My Christmas trip ran me about $1100. I have an AP, did a fancy dinner (Highway dine around, $200), stayed at Coronado 3 nights & with a friend for one night, and had most of my meals & drinks in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter