• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was a big news story when you were growing up that young people today wouldn't have heard of?

The Cuban missile crisis. I guess we so close to war at that time. I know my Mom and Dad acted worried about something, but they didn't tell us what was going on. We were too young to worry and it wouldn't have changed things if there was a war. I only found out about it when I was older, and just how close to war we were.

Skywalker3, being a NOLA native I remember all of what you mentioned.
Do you remember when the grain elevator in Westwego exploded?
Hey, sorry for such a late reply. I don't specifically remember seeing it on the news when it happened, but I do remember my parents talking about it, and talking about the Algiers ferry accident/sinking.
I remember the Norco explosion. My dad worked for Shell, but had retired before it happened, but since it was Shell, it was discussed a lot at home
Hurricane Andrew was when I was an adult, but it affected us directly, so I remember the coverage. Well, the coverage once we got our electricity back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter